Author Topic: Lansing Area  (Read 3757 times)

Offline faldain

Lansing Area
« on: July 03, 2013, 11:54:29 AM »
Hey Guys-  New from Lansing Area.

I have been a Liberterian for about the last 3 years, after reading the Constitution multiple times, and learning a little more about our country and how it used to be. I have always been a hunter, and avid 2nd Amendment proponent. When Colorado happened, I immediately saw a trend, and when Sandy Hook happened, i began to seriously question our existing gun laws and the obvious ramifications of those laws. Namely, that all these massacres are happening in Pistol Free Zones. I began to wonder what would have happened if a trained, legal citizen had been able to carry at Sandy Hook, and after thinking about it extensively, I honestly cannot say how having a Gun Carrier would've done anything but make the situation better for the children and innocents. After seeing a news report about the MOC and their adventures in Grand Rapids, I decided to begin Open Carrying. In order to make that easier and avoid accidently breaking the law- I got my CPL in January. I have been open carrying almost daily since then, and have far more positive feedback then negative. My son plays on a travel baseball team, and initially, I was told by the coaches that some of the parents were uncomfortable about it. Last week, we traveled to Kentucky for a tournament, and I finally had the opportunity to discuss with some of the parents- and the discussions were very rewarding. Here are some of the more interesting ones-

#1- Parent-Are you allowed to just carry that around?!
Me- Yup. It's perfectly legal.
Parent- Do you really think you need it?!
Me- God I hope not.
Parent-  Good answer

#2- Parent- Are you a police officer? Because I see you carrying a gun.
Me- Nope. Just a parent who decided after Sandy Hook that I would never be defenseless to protect my children or yours.
Parent- I sure don't have a problem with that.

#3- Little girl (around 4-5) standing next to me in line at concession stand. "mommy- he's got a gun!" MOM- yes he does honey.
Me- "Does that make me scary?" (big, most disarming smile on my face)
Little girl smiles and shakes her head.

#4- Parents are around me discussing letting their children run free around the baseball park. The mother is very concerned, and the father points to me and says "Do you really think a criminal is going to stick around here when he's carrying a gun?"

All of them good little victories, and there are many more. Best one of all is that my wife- who was a little uncomfortable about guns in the beginning, has gotten accustomed. We took a trip to a bad part of Grand Rapids the other day, and when we got in the car she asked "do you have your gun?"

This week will be the first time I am preparing for a chat with the Police Department. I believe that the Portland Independence Day parade is the perfect venue to advertise our freedoms, and will be carrying openly during our local parade. I will also be carrying a copy of MSP #86 and be prepared to have discussions with local law enforcement. Hopefully, I won't even get approached. I have carried in downtown multiple times, but in small doses. We will see.  I

Offline Dougcr

Re: Lansing Area
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 12:43:44 PM »
Welcome from the walker area!

I am new to open carry as well and it's reading things like this that gives me am I'm sure others even more confidence to stay strong with it.

Thanks and again, welcome.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 02:21:14 PM »
Welcome from Erie. Glad to hear your interactions were positive!
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline harleyh77

• First Name (Displayed): Steve
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 07:42:29 AM »
Welcome from Kalamazoo
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline woodtic31

• First Name (Displayed): Reg
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 09:33:21 AM »
Welcome from Roscommon!!!!!
North East Michigan Coordinator

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 09:46:11 AM »
Welcome from Okemos. :)