Author Topic: Business idea for Detroit  (Read 4628 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Business idea for Detroit
« on: July 04, 2013, 12:04:10 AM »
Many gun carriers visit Canada each day. This means they must leave their guns at home. Even worse, they must travel through Detroit (usually) in their journey!

Here comes in my business idea: a gun check place in Detroit right by the border/bridge/tunnel where you can check your arms before entering and pick them up immediately upon return.

Thoughts?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Justice

• First Name (Displayed): Justice
Re: Business idea for Detroit
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 01:19:58 AM »
It sure beats the alternative. Seems like a good idea. :)

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 04:20:12 AM »
I wonder what your costs and liability would be. Costs for enough secure storage areas, and liability if you were ever broken into. Those points aside, it sounds like a very good idea, though I rarely go to the Peoples Republic of Kanada (I have a couple of friends there that hate the gun bans too and work to change them).
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline Justice

• First Name (Displayed): Justice
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 08:12:29 AM »
Yeah, I been thinking about it. Of course the cost would be passed on to those wishing to use the service. I wouldn't think the facility would have to be too big. Of course it would have to be manned 24/7 by atleast 2 or more trained personnel around the clock. Could create a few jobs! Maybe the liability would fall on the gun owner's NRA insurance should the place ever get robbed and they get their gun stolen? Maybe fortify the building and especially the customer service area with bullet proof glass?

I don't go to Canada for anything, but if I did, I can see wanting to use a service such as the one you speak of. :)

Offline hubblejj

• First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 02:06:41 PM »
I think it could be a good idea, would take some thought and some planning to iron out all the details, but I think it would work.  Now it is probably not something you are going to get rich from, but it could be a nice second income or a good retirement income.
When the Government fears the people you have Freedom, When the people fear the Government you have Tyranny

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
Business idea for Detroit
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 03:37:58 PM »
Wouldn't the employees need CPLs to take possession of pistol registered to another person?

You may also get business from employees of businesses who prohibit possession of firearms on the premise.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Jeff

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 06:26:31 PM »
I need a job, I would work it for you :)

not "work it for you" in a perverted way though... Just had to clarify :D

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 12:09:01 AM »
I'm guessing such a business would need an FFL of some type.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline bignaz

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 07:27:17 AM »
I'm guessing such a business would need an FFL of some type.

Indeed it will. 

The idea is good but I can see a ton of small issues that will be rocks in the road to getting it all set up.  And then after its set up Iwould have that place like a bunker with armed guards 24/7 because llet's face it the Detroit population for the most part are idiots and will see that place as a kick in the door free guns even if they see you lock them up in huge safes. I mean hell they voted for kawami.

If you do I got some ideas of you wanna talk about it if your serious. But I would not skimp on security. Example 2 sets of reinforced doors with bullet proof glass to get in and out. Someone robs you they try to get out hit a switch and look them between the doors.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 08:34:44 AM »
OTR drivers would especially appreciate that service.