Author Topic: Knives.  (Read 3511 times)

Offline Jeff

Knives.
« on: July 04, 2013, 06:54:52 PM »
750.226 Firearm or dangerous weapon; carrying with unlawful intent.

Sec. 226.

Carrying firearm or dangerous weapon with unlawful intent—Any person who, with intent to use the same unlawfully against the person of another, goes armed with a pistol or other firearm or dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 5 years or by a fine of not more than 2,500 dollars.

So I can carry a knife with a blade over 3" if I do not have unlawful intent?  So it would be legal to carry a knife with a 5" blade as long as I didn't have unlawful intent?

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: Knives.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 07:14:32 PM »
Be careful here. There is no preemption for knives. Even though State law can say one thing, local law can say something else.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 07:26:51 PM »
Be careful here. There is no preemption for knives. Even though State law can say one thing, local law can say something else.

So the safest would be to just not go over a 3" blade then because I'm pretty sure that was the standard everywhere.  I don't know for sure though. Yikes.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 08:51:12 PM »
Unfortunately, some municipalities go so far as to ban everything. Want to know what this state's gun laws would be like without preemption, just look to this state's knife laws.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
The safe thing to do is NOT to carry a knife unless it is so tiny a judge would laugh at a officer who entered it into evidence. Officers of the shady type have been known to use a knife as their grounds for justifying their illegal arrest of OCers. When I OC in MI, I will not carry a knife. Makes it way too easy on thugs with badges.

:(
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 12:08:06 AM »
Unfortunately, some municipalities go so far as to ban everything. Want to know what this state's gun laws would be like without preemption, just look to this state's knife laws.

Yep.  Some metro-D communities even ban pocket knifes -- misdemeanor.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Jeff

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 01:14:55 AM »
And here I was thinking about buying a Cold Steel knife with a 3" blade when I am already a rebel with my little swiss army knife.