Author Topic: How much longer? CPL  (Read 7421 times)

Offline Jeff

How much longer? CPL
« on: July 02, 2013, 04:25:37 PM »
I recently filed all my paperwork/fingerprints and just finally checked my status to see how the ball was rolling on getting my CPL.  Unfortunately I am in that evil country that will make me go in front of a gun board but that's not what this is about.

My status estimated 4 months before I would be going in front of the gun board and I already filed everything almost a month ago.  Every step prior to the gun board was completed in one day.  The message said that they have an overwhelming number of applicants and there is a large delay of approximately 4 months... 4 MONTHS

Would it have been the same in other counties? Does that unnecessary gun board just bottleneck the speed in which people get their licenses?

How long did you people have to wait?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
How much longer? CPL
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »
I applied in Aug 2010. Received CPL 3 weeks later. I live in Ingham County.

Wife applied in Oct 2010, got CPL in Dec. 2010. She also lives in Ingham.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline cherper

• First Name (Displayed): Cheryl
Re: How much longer? CPL
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
I live in Monroe County. I filed in Feb of this year, they said it would take 5 months, I got it in 2 months. No gun board here.

Offline Justice

• First Name (Displayed): Justice
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 09:17:44 PM »
I'm in Oakland county and yesterday marked the two month mark. However, I've not been home since last Friday due to caring for a sick family member...

Also, from what I understand there is no gun board, unless something pops up on one's background check and they want to question you. I saw on some forum some fella who turned his in at Oakland county the same time as myself and they wanted to see him.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 11:10:43 PM »
Kent county seems to be taking 3 months and has been for the last few years.

Offline jfmi87

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 12:09:07 AM »
Branch county, 16 days. No mandatory gun board meeting. I had to pick it up from the county clerk, wasn't mailed.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 12:43:38 AM »
ottawa was just over 3 for me
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline Justice

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 08:01:57 PM »
Per my response earlier, I'm taking care of a family member, so I'm not home, my mom has been getting my mail. Anyways, she called and said I got a letter today and it felt like a license was in it (She didn't open it). So it's been about two or three days past 2 months. I turned in my info and fees May 6, so it took 54 days.

To clarify an earlier response, Oakland county does not have it mandatory to see the gunboard, unless something comes up in your backround check they want to question you on.

Offline RnSdriver

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 09:20:47 PM »
I got lucky on the timing and it was two weeks for me, in Muskegon County
I prefer Liberty and Danger over peace and slavery.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 10:07:14 PM »
Gosh, I really should have just done a change of address before going through this process.  I sure learned my lesson.

Offline TexasSupporter

• First Name (Displayed): James
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 10:27:16 PM »
Just another friendly infringement on your right to possess and carry firearms.  "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."  Yeah, right.

Offline Justice

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 11:54:45 PM »
Just another friendly infringement on your right to possess and carry firearms.  "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."  Yeah, right.
+1

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 12:40:47 PM »
In Kalamazoo County they make you go to Kalamazoo Township for fingerprinting. That is the only hold up. It is staffed by volunteers. I turned in my paper work the day before the gun board met in January. My appointment for fingerprints was, of course, after that.

However, I got my CPL in the mail a week after and it was dated the day of the February gun board, so it was 30/31 days, plus processing time to get it mailed, so 37 days.

Had I known about the fingerprinting issue, I could have done that in advance and greatly sped up the process.

They have a digital fingerprint machine and require its use. There was no fee. I did not research further to see if I could have done the fingerprints elsewhere and had them accepted.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline backenj

• First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 11:25:22 AM »
 Muskegon county, 2 weeks.

Offline duff1

• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 08:43:40 PM »
Took me about 2 weeks in Muskegon County