Author Topic: Man Walks Neighborhood With Rifle, Anti-Gun Neighbor Hysterical  (Read 6567 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Man Walks Neighborhood With Rifle, Anti-Gun Neighbor Hysterical
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 02:19:05 PM »
Typical gibberish. "Let the police handle it". Wonder if she would feel that way if some crack head was trying to kill her and her kids? For God's sakes its a bolt rifle, one of the safest designs ever made a 1903 springfield pattern after the mauser 98. Most uniformed citizens speak like her. What they don't know or are too dumb to understand is the police are not always 30 seconds away sometimes their hours away! She also does not understand it is not the police's job to protect her and her kids. That responsibilty is her's and it's clear she has no concept of that. :(
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
Man Walks Neighborhood With Rifle, Anti-Gun Neighbor Hysterical
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 02:24:32 PM »
While I support his 2A rights, I disagree philosophically. I carry for the protection of myself, my wife, and two daughters. Period.

I don't carry openly as a deterrent for crime towards others. I don't carry to make my neighborhood safer. In my opinion, what he is doing is community policing, and is better left to those with more protection from criminal and civil liabilities.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 04:41:38 PM »
While I support his 2A rights, I disagree philosophically. I carry for the protection of myself, my wife, and two daughters. Period.

I don't carry openly as a deterrent for crime towards others. I don't carry to make my neighborhood safer. In my opinion, what he is doing is community policing, and is better left to those with more protection from criminal and civil liabilities.

While your stance is understandable, you do understand that under MI law you maybe required to assist a fellow citizen in immediate danger of death/grave bodily injury/sexual penetration-rape..right? Not to do so could place you in violation of the law.

If this kid (under 21) wants to carry while observing & reporting crime good for him, in my opinion. I sure as hell won't tell him to carry a rape whistle in substitution as many would... :o
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 05:54:10 PM »
Michigan has no duty to respond laws as I am not a sworn peace officer.

Additionally, SCOTUS has stated that police responsibility is to investigate crime and arrest criminals. "To Serve and Protect" may be on many squad cars, but there isn't force of law behind it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html?_r=0
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 09:57:05 PM »
You sure? MI has no duty to report/aid? Don't have the link handy but I was certain there was?

Let's just hope you & yours are never between a rock & a hard place and the passers by have your mindset. F'em its all about me and mine.... that's why our country is where it is, in my honest opinion. I don't look for trouble but if I know a citizen is going to die or suffer great harm if I do not help, morally as a human being I am obligated to help. Guess I'm just old school that way. ::)
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 10:41:42 PM »
MCL 752.11 Upholding or enforcing the law; duty of public officials.
Sec. 1.

Any public official, appointed or elected, who is responsible for enforcing or upholding any law of this state and who wilfully and knowingly fails to uphold or enforce the law with the result that any person's legal rights are denied is guilty of a misdemeanor.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 10:43:23 PM »
Find the MCL that says a citizen, not a sworn peace officer, has a duty to act.  I would be interested in reading it.

My action would be to call 911 and be a good witness from a safe distance.

If Michigan changed it's civil laws to provide immunity in wrongful death suits to those found not guilty in a criminal case, I would change my philosophy to intervene only if doing so would not put my girls in jeopardy. 

The primary goal is protecting my family. Loosing house and home in a civil suit because I defended another is a failure to protect my family.

If someone else wants to take that risk, by all means do. I don't expect someone else to take that risk on my behalf.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 12:43:41 AM »
Hey thanks for the discussion. It may be we do not agree, but others can formulate their idea's on what it is they can or can't do legally and as a good human being to aid someone being attacked. Here's a law to review, that you probably know, but just in case here it is. Summary - you may use deadly force in some cases to defend others. Bottom line - I see your wife getting hacked up in the local mall parkinglot structure by some loon with a axe, I think you would want me to do more than just dial 911 & be a good witness.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-780-972

Even "experts" are not clear on the use of deadly force when others are at stake - but the law above is very clear and its use is permitted in certain circumstances. Lot's of fear about doing the right thing = MI gun law needs to be updated / changed  / clarified IMHO.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 01:01:17 AM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 01:29:57 AM »
I too carry a gun to protect myself and those I love. You and those you love should carry a gun to protect yourself.

For what I know the guy beating the woman could be her abusive boyfriend. By the time the cops show up after I've drawn on the man beating her -- they could have reconciled and now be telling a joint story that I was the aggressor that attacked him.

No thanks.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 03:17:05 AM »
Someone being beat is one thing. Someone being killed is another. When split seconds count and the chips are down its up to the individual. It's clear many here would sleep well knowing they didn't do all they could. So be it. My family is well armed, enough so if one of my guns is in the shop I don't have to show up unarmed, somewhere like an open carry protest.  :o

Good luck to some of you and hope you never need help beyond your own ability. Every time one of these conversations comes up I lose a little more faith in my fellow man.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 03:30:29 AM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 10:18:30 AM »
What has happened to Zimmerman is a good example of why you don't want to get involved.   I always thought that volunteering to improve your neighborhood was a good thing.  Apparently the main stream media and the prosecutor disagree.  They have called him names and insulted him for taking his own time to volunteer to help reduce crime in the community.  The things the prosecutor said about him are criminal! 

Offline Donut

• First Name (Displayed): Donut
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 12:57:04 PM »
Mod: LGOC discussion not permitted per Forum rules.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 01:00:40 PM by TheQ »

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 01:03:48 PM »
Mod: LGOC discussion not permitted per Forum rules.
This whole thread shouldn't be permitted. But since it's posted by a moderator it's allowed?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »
This whole thread shouldn't be permitted. But since it's posted by a moderator it's allowed?

I'm inclined to agree.