Author Topic: Wheelchair carrying vet.  (Read 4410 times)

Offline anotherchavez

• First Name (Displayed): Joe
Wheelchair carrying vet.
« on: July 10, 2013, 09:00:54 AM »
Hi from Gladwin. I'm new to open carry. I'm a Desert Storm Veteran (go Air Force!) I use a power wheelchair to get around and am a lefty so finding holsters is really really easy! (not). I'm partially mobile and can walk short distances. Any input on good way to carry would be great. Using a power wheelchair makes it hard to carry around the belt area as there isn't much room to draw as opposed to a manual chair (arm rests are different).  I'm thinking of building a mount for my chair. It would be dangerous if it were a manual chair because you can get tipped over easily and get separated from your weapon. In a power chair it's different. If somebody can knock me out of my chair, at 225 pounds, sitting in my power chair, which weighs 300+ pounds , I don't stand much of a chance anyway so I'm figuring a custom chair mount would be best. I'd love to hear suggestions. Thanks.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
Re: Wheelchair carrying vet.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 11:29:10 AM »
Hello. First, welcome to the forums and welcome from Erie. Nice to see another Desert Storm Vet (army here).  I have heard (but not seen) of a wheelchair mount for a holster. However an alternative may be a shoulder holster.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Wheelchair carrying vet.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »
I would say one could make an argument that a CPL is REQUIRED to carry on a wheelchair (see MCL 750.227).

Whether or not the charge would stick in court, I don't know. But I wouldn't put it past the likes of someone like Kym Worthy to charge it.

@OP welcome to our community.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 05:38:37 PM »
Shoulder holster?

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 07:06:48 PM »
Thank you for your service

shoulder harness sounds like the best alternative

Offline steve jaye

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 07:54:16 PM »
Just a random question with no offense in it but I wonder if they could harass you if you didn't have a CPL since its a motorized chair. Just a thought. 

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Jeff

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 08:19:12 PM »
Just a random question with no offense in it but I wonder if they could harass you if you didn't have a CPL since its a motorized chair. Just a thought. 

Legal or not, all it takes is a phone call from someone and a Police officer with a chip on their shoulder to harass somebody.  It happens too often.

-____-__--_-----_-___---_-_--_--__--_---___--
AND

a shoulder harness does sound like a great option, I was thinking that as well and saw that it was suggested already.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 11:36:38 PM »
Crossdraw