Author Topic: An area that USED to be a school.  (Read 13354 times)

Offline Jeff

An area that USED to be a school.
« on: July 10, 2013, 08:15:06 PM »
Is there anything I might need to worry about in some neighborhoods that used to be schools?  For instance my sub division used to have a school here.  It was over 20 years ago and now it's just homes but is there any sort of crazy law that says that since it was once zoned for a school that I am not allowed to walk around open carrying a firearm?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
An area that USED to be a school.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 08:55:29 PM »
Read MCL 750.237a for exact wording.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Jeff

Re: An area that USED to be a school.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 11:06:21 PM »
(b) “School” means a public, private, denominational, or parochial school offering developmental kindergarten, kindergarten, or any grade from 1 through 12.

(c) “School property” means a building, playing field, or property used for school purposes to impart instruction to children or used for functions and events sponsored by a school, except a building used primarily for adult education or college extension courses.

And since the area no longer does any of that, I am just fine to open carry around my neighborhood. 

Thanks John de Lancie

Offline fitrah

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 12:41:49 AM »
Read MCL 750.237a for exact wording.

750.237a has nothing to do with open carry of a pistol.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: Re: An area that USED to be a school.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 12:49:38 AM »
perhaps you had better read it again...

Sent from my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk 2

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 03:23:13 PM »

I was going to say something, but it would probably get me bounced for insensitivity.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 04:25:59 PM »

Says a guy who has made his first post.  Did you even read MCL 75.237a?

(4) Except as provided in subsection (5), an individual who possesses a weapon in a weapon free school zone is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by 1 or more of the following:

(a) Imprisonment for not more than 93 days.

(b) Community service for not more than 100 hours.

(c) A fine of not more than $2,000.00.

(5) Subsection (4) does not apply to any of the following:

(a) An individual employed by or contracted by a school if the possession of that weapon is to provide security services for the school.

(b) A peace officer.

(c) An individual licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

(d) An individual who possesses a weapon provided by a school or a school's instructor on school property for purposes of providing or receiving instruction in the use of that weapon.

(e) An individual who possesses a firearm on school property if that possession is with the permission of the school's principal or an agent of the school designated by the school's principal or the school board.

(f) An individual who is 18 years of age or older who is not a student at the school and who possesses a firearm on school property while transporting a student to or from the school if any of the following apply:

(i) The individual is carrying an antique firearm, completely unloaded, in a wrapper or container in the trunk of a vehicle while en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area or function involving the exhibition, demonstration or sale of antique firearms.

(ii) The individual is carrying a firearm unloaded in a wrapper or container in the trunk of the person's vehicle, while in possession of a valid Michigan hunting license or proof of valid membership in an organization having shooting range facilities, and while en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.

(iii) The person is carrying a firearm unloaded in a wrapper or container in the trunk of the person's vehicle from the place of purchase to his or her home or place of business or to a place of repair or back to his or her home or place of business, or in moving goods from one place of abode or business to another place of abode or business.

(iv) The person is carrying an unloaded firearm in the passenger compartment of a vehicle that does not have a trunk, if the person is otherwise complying with the requirements of subparagraph (ii) or (iii) and the wrapper or container is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

SMH
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline fitrah

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 03:14:16 PM »

I was going to say something, but it would probably get me bounced for insensitivity.

Then why post this comment?

I made a mistake. Try and forgive me :'(

It would be so gracious of you.

Offline fitrah

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 03:17:39 PM »
Says a guy who has made his first post.  Did you even read MCL 75.237a?

SMH

Yes, my first post.

I will try and be as perfect as you from now on Q.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 03:39:26 PM »
Don't make me turn this car around, and cancel Christmas.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 08:54:57 AM »
Don't make me turn this car around, and cancel Christmas.

See, things just got real. This is why we can't have nice things.  ;)
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 10:26:13 PM »
Yes this could be thread necromancy,   what about houses that are used for home schooling?  Would they fall under a school designation?

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 08:53:23 AM »
750.237a

(b) “School” means a public, private, denominational, or parochial school offering developmental kindergarten, kindergarten, or any grade from 1 through 12.

(c) “School property” means a building, playing field, or property used for school purposes to impart instruction to children or used for functions and events sponsored by a school, except a building used primarily for adult education or college extension courses.

(d) “Weapon free school zone” means school property and a vehicle used by a school to transport students to or from school property.

It should be noted that the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act had to be redone to exempt private property due to constitutional issues.

Offline Xpiatio

• First Name (Displayed): Benjamin
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 09:51:00 PM »
750.237a

It should be noted that the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act had to be redone to exempt private property due to constitutional issues.
Thank you for the answer,  my boss and I were taking about this the other day.   He and I have family that home school and we both have a cpl