Author Topic: break and enter stop!  (Read 5005 times)

Offline NHCGRPR45

• Macomb Twp. MI
break and enter stop!
« on: June 04, 2010, 11:49:37 PM »
well i was stopped by saint clair shores police tonight at about 8:45pm on jefferson and 10 mile rd. i stopped to drop of some dive equipment to advanced aquatics dive shop but the owner wasn't there while i knocked on the door and a young couple came around the corner, she let out a little squeak noise and the abruptly about faced and hurried off. i went to my car to get some paper and write the owner a note about where to pick up my gear, i had just slipped the note in the mail slot, and turned to leave when a guy said "Hey You! don't move!" so i looked over my shoulder and saw 2 SCSPD officers there. the guy cop asked what i was doing and i said i was leaving a note for the store owner about dive equipment he then asked me if i was carring a gun, i said i was and that it was on my right hip. he told me to come to him and not make any sudden moves toward the gun. his partner asked why i would be leaving a note for the owner and asked if i knew the owner. i said i did and in fact have worked for him on occaision. the officer said he was driving by and saw me messing around the front of the store, i said yes i was writting a note for mike, he the lady cop asked why i have a gun and i started my in mi it's legal, and was cut off then informed by her that she was well versed in the law, i didn't see any point to argue so i just shut up. the guy cop said i was being detained because they saw me fiddling around the front door and thought maybe i was trying to B&E. i assumed that could indeed be true because i had a hard time getting the paper in the mail slot at first, he asked if i had any identification on me. i did and told him it was in the pocket closest to my firearm, he said thats fine just no fast movement, so i handed it over. i didn't argue with this because i think they were justified in stopping me, i suppose my activity would indeed look suspicious to someone viewing me driving by, and i assumed that lady cop may have seen my firearm when they drove around me to the side street to get a better angle on my activity in front of the store. while he was running the LEIN info lady cop started to ask pointed questions about the store and its owner, which i had no problem with since i know the owner and have for many years. guy cop came back said i checked out ok and gave my info back. they conferred for a minute and theen said why they stopped me and i said i understood there postion and they thank me for being patient and i thanked them for there restrint in not just tossing me into the cruiser and asking questions later! the kinda laughed and said it hadn't gone that bad yet! they said have a good night and i told them to stay safe !

anyway i think it was a positive LEO encouter but my guess is that the scared couple called 911 because it wasn't 7 10 minutes later that the boys in blue showed up, still good encounter
shaun
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such goverment, and to provide new gaurds for their future security. United States Constitution.

Offline Bronson

Re: break and enter stop!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 03:18:17 AM »
I agree, it sounds like they had reasonable suspicion to detain you and from your account it seems that it was handled professionally.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline Evil Creamsicle

• Commie Rifle Fetishist
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 10:42:17 AM »
And, you didn't get shot, so all in all, I'd say good job  :P
Once armed, a free man can never be disarmed. Only defeated.

Offline CoonDog

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 09:20:12 PM »
I guess we'll never know the answer to this, but I wonder if they would have stopped if you weren't visibly armed.  I suppose if they were responding to an MWAG call, they would have, but if it was just a drive-by, makes me wonder.
The OC movement helps gain acceptance for all forms of carry.

Offline NHCGRPR45

• Macomb Twp. MI
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
i was fully expecting to turn around and see 2 cops pointing guns at me, but was pleasently surprised to see that wasn't the case, we all know some officers wouldn't have shown such restraint. say this call had happened in detroit or warren, things could have gone a little diffrent. and yes not getting shot was nice, i have been shot before and it is most decidedly not a nice feeling! ::)
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such goverment, and to provide new gaurds for their future security. United States Constitution.

Offline smellslikemichigan

• MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 06:57:38 PM »
WOW!
this is fantastic.  i enjoy hearing positive exchanges with police.  especially in light of recent marysville events.
"I like users who quote themselves in their signature lines." -smellslikemichigan

Offline Bronson

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 03:24:09 AM »
I guess we'll never know the answer to this, but I wonder if they would have stopped if you weren't visibly armed.  I suppose if they were responding to an MWAG call, they would have, but if it was just a drive-by, makes me wonder.

I've been known to hang around the parking lot of the dojo after closing it up to talk with students.  On several occasions we've had officers roll in and say "everything all right fellas?".  We just tell them yes we were just talking after closing up.  They always just say "ok, have a good night" and leave.  So based on my experience I would say that yes, there's a good chance they would have stopped anyway.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline NHCGRPR45

• Macomb Twp. MI
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 09:31:29 PM »
again this is saint clair shores and crime is getting far worse there, so i think them checking me out was a good thing, cops have a job to do, and i beleive that they can do that job without bother lawful citizens to much. was i a bit annoyed with the intial rudeness, of course but from there point of veiw i was a posable B&E in progress and i was visibly armed, if i were them and i wasn't on high alert then i don't think i would be doing my job. in total i was detained no more than 20 minutes tops, unfortunate but IMO justified. they talked to me without drawing their guns first, which was nice ;) and they never disarmed me, something i might have done in there shoes. anyway it wasn't a bad encounter. again IMO

Offline sevenplusone

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 09:29:23 PM »
While perhaps a little awkward I'd say all around it was fair.