Author Topic: Protecting Open Carry  (Read 3934 times)

Offline faldain

Protecting Open Carry
« on: July 17, 2013, 04:16:18 PM »
By my understanding, Open Carry is legal in Michigan, however, it is legal due to the fact that there is no law prohibiting it. That contrasts with other states, where it is protected by statute. Has there been any discussion about drafting a bill to protect Open Carry? Currently our legislature seems pretty friendly towards this and it might be a good time to start working on it.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Protecting Open Carry
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 04:26:04 PM »
No pro-gun bill of substance is likely to pass and get signed in our current environment (Rick Snyder as Governor).

I'm not sure what value such a bill would provide? During the legislative process they may add additional PFZs, require a permit, etc and we'd be worse off than we are.

What would there be gained in such a law?

I think our capital is better spent elsewhere.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
Re: Protecting Open Carry
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 05:00:12 PM »
we have something much better than a statute, we have the Michigan Constitution-

"Every person has a right to bear arms for the defense of himself and the State."

I think the tide we are starting to see in the courts is that the Right to Bear Arms refers more to OC than CC, becasue the act of concealment is different than the act of Bearing. Asking our current legislators to produce an OC bill will without a doubt restrict OC more than it currently is. As Q mentioned, much better ways to spend our energy and resources

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 05:27:25 PM »
I agree with TheQ. Even if we had a statue, it would be costly to get and it could just as easily be replaced.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 11:45:34 PM »
if there were to be an open carry statute, I'm sure some law maker would attempt to convert 28.425o Concealed Pistol Free Zones to pistol free zones period.  Some view open carry in a CPFZ as a loophole.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36