Author Topic: Military on leave, can he open carry my registered firearm?  (Read 9258 times)

Offline ken021

My son who is 20 is coming home on leave USAF from Germany and wants to come to the Marysville picnic. Can he OC one of my leagally owned handguns at the picnic. He is 3 months shy of his 21st Birthday. If so add 2 more to Ken021 Thanks all

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
Re: Military on leave, can he open carry my registered firearm?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 06:40:31 PM »
As far as I know the handgun must either be registered to the person carrying it or they must be a CPL holder.

However the Marysville picnic thread says that long gun OC is welcome at this event, so he could carry a rifle or shotgun.

Carry on.
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline FatboyCykes

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 06:51:22 PM »
As far as I know the handgun must either be registered to the person carrying it or they must be a CPL holder.

However the Marysville picnic thread says that long gun OC is welcome at this event, so he could carry a rifle or shotgun.

Carry on.

Yep, unless you're both at a designated legal range, I do not believe he can carry it.  However, if you're so inclined....and if you're a CPL holder yourself....you could always sell or gift him the gun, paper work could be done in 15 minutes and he'd be legal, and you'd be able to carry his gun when he returns to service.

By the way, for what it's worth, please, on behalf of all of us who OC/CC/own a firearm or two, thank him for his service for us.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 06:52:21 PM »
My son who is 20 is coming home on leave USAF from Germany and wants to come to the Marysville picnic. Can he OC one of my leagally owned handguns at the picnic. He is 3 months shy of his 21st Birthday. If so add 2 more to Ken021 Thanks all

What FatboyCykes said!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 06:54:50 PM »
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
    • http://michiganopencarry.org
  • First Name (Displayed): john
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 02:36:05 AM »
+1
"Any day you don't hear a "POP" and "WHIZ" is a Wonderful day....."

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 09:45:39 AM »
Ken,

FatboyCykes offers a good suggestion.  I did this with my brother so he could carry at an event of ours, very simple and easy and free.  If you need assistance with what and where to get and do the paperwork, feel free to ask the procedure in a new thread or PM me.  It is very easy to get done quickly.

-northofnowhere
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline BailEnforcer

• Facta Probant
    • Forfeiture Services
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 12:02:56 PM »
If I remember correctly what I read in the statute stated that a third party can carry a handgun that is "safety inspected" and registered to a third party so long as the person  in possession of the firearm is not precluded from purchesing, owing, or possessing a firearm.
The Patroit Act; Turning citizens into suspects since 2001!
-------------------------------------------------
I may not like what you have to say; but, I will defend to the death your right to say it!  Voltaier

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 12:06:54 PM »
AFAIK you must be a holder of a CPL (or equvilant from another state) to barrow a handgun in MI.
-Bronson, 2013

-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 03:15:42 PM »
Since he is stationed out-of-state and the requirement to register a pistol is MI residency, if his home of record is Michigan he may register a pistol in Michigan.  He would have to get a purchase permit, and then have you sign off as the seller. This is what I would do.

He is not able to "borrow" it per state law... the ONLY people who may do this are those under 18... and it requires to be at a range, etc.

see: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-422
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 11:57:45 PM »
If I remember correctly what I read in the statute stated that a third party can carry a handgun that is "safety inspected" and registered to a third party so long as the person  in possession of the firearm is not precluded from purchesing, owing, or possessing a firearm.

[citation needed]
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Bronson

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 02:26:49 AM »
If I remember correctly what I read in the statute stated that a third party can carry a handgun that is "safety inspected" and registered to a third party so long as the person  in possession of the firearm is not precluded from purchesing, owing, or possessing a firearm.

[citation needed]

MCL 28.432

(1) Section 2 (of MCL 28.422 which deals with the requirements for obtaining a License To Purchase/Possess, B) does not apply to any of the following:

(i) An individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting a pistol belonging to another individual, if the other individual's possession of the pistol is authorized by law and the individual carrying, possessing, using, or transporting the pistol has obtained a license under section 5b to carry a concealed pistol or is exempt from licensure as provided in section 12a.

He would need a Concealed Pistol License in order to carry your pistol.  Unless, like has been said, he is still a Michigan resident then you could transfer the pistol into his name and he could openly carry it while he is here.  Be certain he knows the firearm free zones in MCL 750.234d like the back of his hand and how to legally transport it.  He could always transfer it back to you when he leaves.  If you have a CPL you just need to fill out an RI-60 form and mail the copies in to transfer it back to you.  Or you could just leave it in his name so that when he comes back he can carry it and because you have a CPL you can legally be in possession of his pistol.

Bronson
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 02:33:10 AM by Bronson »
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline CrossPistols

• Legal Musings
  • Charter Member Mundy Twp.
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 08:17:49 PM »
Just a small note, if he joined the service from Michigan, he is still a Michigan resident.  As long as he does not claim Germany as his primary residence. I was stationed in Hawaii, but I was from Michigan. I held my Mich drivers license, Mich. address, and was exempt from certain Fishing licenses as long as I was Active. As far as the child borrowing a fire arm that is correct that it is for a child 18 or under.
Hotel Sierra Lima Delta!