Author Topic: First time...  (Read 12312 times)

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
First time...
« on: July 18, 2013, 10:09:14 PM »
Well, I had my first experience getting stopped while open carrying, and with a cpl...

I was on my motorcycle going home while open carrying.  Was on 196 by college street speeding (yes, I do speed, and my bike is geared different so I really have no clue how fast I am going). He pulled out and followed me to m45 before pulling me over. Walked up and took my gun while I was taking my helmet off. I told him I had my cpl, and that I was carrying (obviously). He then told me that was illegal. (I then forgot everything that I had memorized). I told him that open carry was perfectly legal in the state of Michigan. He then asked if i had a cpl.  I said yes, to which he said "so what's it going to be, open carry or concealed?"  I said I do both, depending on the circumstances. He said that's not why he pulled me over, he clocked me at 83 in a 65. I couldn't find my current insurance, last one expired a month ago. He went to his car, came back about 2 minutes later. Told me my license plate was mounted illegally (it's sideways in my swing arm) handed me my gun, then the magazine, and told me to have a nice day.

All in all probably the easiest traffic stop i ever  experienced. Obviously the state trooper wasn't well versed in open carry, but wasn't to interested in debating it either. I definitely have to brush up on what to say if stopped again though..
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline Jeff

Re: First time...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 12:24:06 AM »
When you said he took your gun while you were taking your helmet off.  He didn't inform you, didn't give him permission, he just hurried up and took it from you while you were distracted taking off your helmet?

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 05:57:49 AM »
yes, I do speed, and my bike is geared different so I really have no clue how fast I am going.

What kind of bike? My KLR650 runs the speedometer off of the front tire, as long as the tire diameter is stock, the speed is correct.
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 08:30:22 AM »
When you said he took your gun while you were taking your helmet off.  He didn't inform you, didn't give him permission, he just hurried up and took it from you while you were distracted taking off your helmet?

Yep, while I was taking it off, he grabbed it out of my holster without saying a word

What kind of bike? My KLR650 runs the speedometer off of the front tire, as long as the tire diameter is stock, the speed is correct.

It's a Kawasaki ninja. When I'm cruising around 60mph, the speedo is reading about 85
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 08:55:58 AM »
Speedohealer. Very easy to install and eliminates the problem.

Sounds like you met the typical state trooper, it is a shame they didn't just get rid of them a few years back when they were broke.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 09:26:39 AM »
Speedohealer. Very easy to install and eliminates the problem.

Sounds like you met the typical state trooper, it is a shame they didn't just get rid of them a few years back when they were broke.

I know about the speedo healer...  Just too cheap and lazy to get one lol

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 10:15:07 AM »
Yep, while I was taking it off, he grabbed it out of my holster without saying a word

That was stupid/dangerous on his part.  So much could have gone wrong, especially if you reacted instinctively to a gun grab.

Retention holster?
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 11:22:54 AM »
That was stupid/dangerous on his part.  So much could have gone wrong, especially if you reacted instinctively to a gun grab.

Retention holster?

Yeah I was caught off guard. It's a serpa holster

Offline springfield40xdm

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 12:00:13 PM »
Is it just me or is there something wrong with an officer just walking up and grabbing the gun while he is taking off his helmet!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
First time...
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 12:06:29 PM »

Yeah I was caught off guard. It's a serpa holster

Not the s-word!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline mosnar87

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ervin
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 12:08:38 PM »
Is it just me or is there something wrong with an officer just walking up and grabbing the gun while he is taking off his helmet!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Nope, it's not just you. That could have ended very badly.

Some folks carry a BUG. Also, not all men in cop cars wearing uniforms are legit cops. Those two facts combine to make a potentially lethal picture.
"I don't want to be someone that successfully defends himself with a pistol.  I want to be someone that never has to defend himself with a pistol."
-Bronson, 2013

"Its not what I do for a living, its that I want to keep doing it"
-Evil Creamsicle, 2010

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 12:09:20 PM »
Not the s-word!

:-\ something wrong with them?

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 12:11:51 PM »
Nope, it's not just you. That could have ended very badly.

Some folks carry a BUG. Also, not all men in cop cars wearing uniforms are legit cops. Those two facts combine to make a potentialy lethal picture.

I normally have my shoulder rig when riding, but It was just too dang hot yesterday...  On top of that, my go pro camera is always running when I'm on my bike. Problem is, the mount fell off my helmet earlier in the day and it dissapeared on the side of the highway.  Walked about 3 miles today and found it back!

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
First time...
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 12:59:38 PM »
:- something wrong with them?

That depends on who you ask.

I use the Safariland ALS + Guard, Making it a level III holster.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
First time...
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 01:17:08 PM »
That depends on who you ask.

That depends on where you place your finger when you draw.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 01:21:55 PM »

Ahh the button to release puts your finger mid slide

Offline hubblejj

• First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 02:09:51 PM »
can you imagine if the trooper was not carefull with that holster and touched off a round as he was pulling the gun out of the holster.  I wonder how that would have played out????
When the Government fears the people you have Freedom, When the people fear the Government you have Tyranny

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
First time...
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 02:19:20 PM »

Or how much snow or dirt gets behind the button.

Offline sircapsalot

• Land of the FREE
  • First Name (Displayed): Dj
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 11:06:55 AM »
Man.. that's scary.. say that wasn't a cop?  there ARE several phonies out there.. reminds me of this video (skip ahead to 3:05)
http://youtu.be/RK5bMSyJCsg?t=3m10s

Offline .40 Cal

• MOC Member
  • Flat Rock, Michigan
  • First Name (Displayed): John
First time...
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 08:50:36 AM »
Wow drew on him for nothing? That's scary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
I carry a firearm because their are real threats in the world and when seconds count; the Police are minutes away!