Author Topic: OC Incident at Walgreens Dundee  (Read 9479 times)

Offline Rustykeys

OC Incident at Walgreens Dundee
« on: November 11, 2012, 10:26:37 PM »
Just passing this along because I happened to be working tonight at the Walgreens Dundee while a gentleman was opening carrying.

The lady on checkout started flipping out after the gentleman OC'ing left the store. I just happened to be at the register after he left so I was her first contact with the information. I asked her, was he friendly and non-threatening? She said yes but that big gun on his hip. I told her that it is perfectly legal for him to open carry in the state of Michigan and here in the store so long as he has his CPL. She said, well this is a private establishment and there is no reason for that so he should've just had it concealed. On, and on she went even to the point that it brought over the acting manager to the area. He said he noticed him and asked if he was wearing a hat with a C on it, which I assume was a Chicago Bears hat because I think I seen him too but didn't notice a firearm since I was pretty busy. I told the manager that he wasn't breaking the law because it is legal to open carry. He said that may be true but employee's are not allowed to have firearms on them. I told him I understand that but that was not the issue at hand. I finally got the situation calmed down, and told them I would bring them some information on it. But the cashier was not too keen on that and said she was going to call upper management and aske them why don't they put a guns not allowed sign on the door. I told her to the best of my knowledge that Walgreens is an open carry friendly establishment which she replied I don't understand why. Hopefully she will just forget about this friendly incident and if it happens again will handle it in a different way. To the best of my knowledge she did not say anything to the gentleman OC'ing.
“We must hang together, gentlemen…else, we shall most assuredly hang separately.”

– Benjamin Franklin

A right not exercised is a right lost.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: OC Incident at Walgreens Dundee
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 10:44:36 PM »
She should have been fired immediately for creating a hostile work environment. And to the best of my knowledge, Walgreens does not prohibit employee firearms. But they do have a policy of "non-escalation" when it comes to robberies. I will be researching the employee restrictions.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Rustykeys

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 11:29:20 PM »
Oh I work there and during orientation it states that you are not allowed to carry any firearms, explosives, or knives exceeding 3". I wonder though because I am an employee when I am off the clock am I still required to follow policy and not carry a firearm?
“We must hang together, gentlemen…else, we shall most assuredly hang separately.”

– Benjamin Franklin

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 12:30:08 PM »
My wife works at Walmart. Firearms for employee's are forbidden while on the clock, off the clock you are just like any other customer. Also it is Walmart's corporate policy to follow state laws regarding firearms.

Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline Rustykeys

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 01:30:02 PM »
Ezerharden "Walmart's corporate policy to follow state laws regarding firearms."

To the best of my knowledge I believe that's Walgreens policy as well. I believe my employer at least at this particular store here in Dundee needs some re-education. I tried to educate them on it last night but you know the story, who am I? It needs to come down from corporate. I still plan on printing up some fliers to take in and hope this helps but it may take more than that.

– Benjamin Franklin

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 04:21:52 PM »
Oh I work there and during orientation it states that you are not allowed to carry any firearms, explosives, or knives exceeding 3". I wonder though because I am an employee when I am off the clock am I still required to follow policy and not carry a firearm?
No.

Offline yance

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Adam
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 05:45:55 PM »
I would be careful with that one, unless something in the employee handbook mentions it.

When I was at Panera their policy said that employees are not allowed to possess firearms or other dangerous weapons.  It made no mention to on the clock or off the clock, I called corporate HR and asked if I came in off of the clock, as a customer, would the rules still apply.  They told me that because I was an employee and a "representative" of the company that I would not be allowed to carry to Panera, even off of the clock as a paying customer.  Is this true, I dont know, but they can always fire you for anything since this is an at will state.

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
Re: Re: OC Incident at Walgreens Dundee
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 08:26:05 PM »
I would be careful with that one, unless something in the employee handbook mentions it.

When I was at Panera their policy said that employees are not allowed to possess firearms or other dangerous weapons.  It made no mention to on the clock or off the clock, I called corporate HR and asked if I came in off of the clock, as a customer, would the rules still apply.  They told me that because I was an employee and a "representative" of the company that I would not be allowed to carry to Panera, even off of the clock as a paying customer.  Is this true, I dont know, but they can always fire you for anything since this is an at will state.

I don't know if this applies,  but MCL 28.425n may be cover you off the clock. I'm just not sure if it applies to private employers.
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 08:33:02 PM »
I don't know if this applies,  but MCL 28.425n may be cover you off the clock. I'm just not sure if it applies to private employers.

They could still trespass you out.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 09:03:02 PM »
They could still trespass you out.

Yes they could ask one to leave. Insofar as Walgreens though, off the clock doesn't prohibit employees from carrying. So I guess it would fall under wrongful discharge.

And just because Michigan is an "at will" employment state, employess can't be "fired" without cause. Laid-off... yes. Fired... NO.

Offline scot623

• MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 03:29:29 PM »
I'm not allowed to carry off the clock at my store.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »

Civil service rule prevent me from carrying on the clock, but off the clock I could carry as joe-public in the joe-public areas.

Other's situations may vary, obviously.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 04:12:06 PM »

Some retail businesses don't allow employees to patronize the store location of their employment even.

Offline emt805

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 02:38:17 AM »
Ezerharden "Walmart's corporate policy to follow state laws regarding firearms."

To the best of my knowledge I believe that's Walgreens policy as well. I believe my employer at least at this particular store here in Dundee needs some re-education. I tried to educate them on it last night but you know the story, who am I? It needs to come down from corporate. I still plan on printing up some fliers to take in and hope this helps but it may take more than that.

This is a newer store I live maybe 15 min from it and have OCed a few times with no issues. I was not there the night of this but it is on the way to Cabela's.

Offline dlgeorge

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 09:14:55 AM »
Hey EMT,  I live close by Dundee.  We'll have to get together and OC in Walgreens.