Author Topic: Detroit a one gun city?  (Read 8066 times)

Offline Marty

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Marty
Detroit a one gun city?
« on: July 28, 2013, 06:46:22 PM »
My son, who just completed his CPL class in Auburn, was explaining to me that the Instructor that taught the class said that Detroit is in now a one gun city.  If you conceal carry more than one gun they will arrest you.   He went on to say while most cities says the law does not prohibit you from carrying more than one gun, Detroit is saying there is nothing in the law that says you can carry more than one gun.  He did say that the prosecutors have yet to file charges on any one but the police are still arresting them.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Detroit a one gun city?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 06:54:59 PM »
I'm going to need more details before I believe this story as credible or even consider taking action on it.

Where was the class offered that told him this?

Who was the lead instructor at that class?

Who actually told him this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Marty

• MOC Member
Re: Detroit a one gun city?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 09:09:43 PM »
The instructor was from Williams gun shop in Auburn. The class was held at Linwood Bay Sportsmen Club.  I believe he said his name was Darin. He is the son of the owner. 

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 12:17:21 AM »
The instructor was from Williams gun shop in Auburn. The class was held at Linwood Bay Sportsmen Club.  I believe he said his name was Darin. He is the son of the owner.

Got a phone number for the business?

Google says it's closed... http://goo.gl/maps/6VptA

Offline Bronson

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 04:17:04 AM »
Detroit is saying there is nothing in the law that says you can carry more than one gun. 

That's not how it works.  Nothing is illegal until there is a law that specifically makes it illegal.  So until the STATE says that carrying more than one is illegal there is nothing Detroit or any other local unit of government can say about it.

123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.

Sec. 2.

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

8.3b Singular and plural; gender.
Sec. 3b.

Every word importing the singular number only may extend to and embrace the plural number, and every word importing the plural number may be applied and limited to the singular number. Every word importing the masculine gender only may extend and be applied to females as well as males.

Bronson
Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 08:21:49 AM »
Q, maybe they moved? the web address brought me to this info:

Contact Us! 989-266-3124

120 E. Midland St.
Auburn, MI 48611

STORE HOURS:
Mon-Fri:  9-6 pm
Sat:  9-3 pm

Offline Marty

• MOC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 09:11:29 AM »
I know the business moved only a cross the street if I recall.  989-266-3124 is the one on there web site.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 10:14:42 AM »
I'd be interested in corresponding with your friend to get some finer questioned answered first hand.  Think he'd be willing to email me at PHofmeister@miopencarry.org?

Offline Marty

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 11:20:17 AM »
I sent you my sons E-mail.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 01:29:19 AM »
Detroit is saying there is nothing in the law that says you can carry more than one gun.

You say they arrest you.  What MCL statute do they cite you with?

People need to use critical thinking. No wonder our country is going to hell.

Offline Marty

• MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 07:47:03 AM »
Correction:  That quote was not my words.  That was right out of the mouth of the instructor of that class.  I was passing this info along to show what was being discussed in this particular class.  I posted this info under General Discussion in a form of a question.  What the intent of this instructor as to why he brought it up is not clear.  Was it to intimidate, inform of a potential problem, or agenda against carrying two pistols? 

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 04:30:14 PM »
I've corresponded with the person the OP referred me to.

The gentleman ("Luke") tells me:

1. The instructor was relaying an experience his friend had with the City of Detroit PD.
2. The instructor made it clear that wasn't the law.
3. That Detroit PD doesn't seem to follow the law (or doesn't care).
4. The prosecuting authorities did not follow up on charges (sounds like the basis of a 42 USC 1983 case?)

From "Luke":

Hello Phillip,

Yes, everything said is correct.  The words came from my instructor's mouth. 

The discussion came up when the instructor was saying how he carries a backup, and one of the students asked if it was legal to carry two guns on your person.  My instructor said that yes it is legal to do so, but be careful in Detroit.  I know that principle of the law that if there is no law against something then it is legal, and the instructor knew that too.  But, he said Detroit police look at the law backwards. They say that there is nothing in the law saying you can carry more than one gun on you so they arrest you.  My instructor said he knows of this because of friends or acquaintances that have had problems with Detroit police. 

My instructor said that when the people he knew would get pulled over that they would disclose they were carrying.  The police would ask where they were carrying and the operators of the vehicle would say "here" and "here", and they would proceed to be arrested because they were carrying two guns.  My instructor said the prosecutors haven't followed through on any charges because there is nothing to charge, but he said there must be someone up in the brass of the Detroit police telling them to do this. 

He shared this just as a warning from his experiences.  He had no reason to provide misinformation, and he was not trying to scare us.

I inquired further:
So he was relaying an experience rather than making a statement of what was legal/illegal?

"Luke" responded:
Yes, it was purely from experience and he said that.  He knows the law and explained it, but he said Detroit police doesn't seem to follow this aspect of the law properly.

I don't think we can blame the instructor here for passing on bad information -- he was just relaying a story.  From what I hear about Detroit PD, the story is believable, especially (but sadly) if the person they stopped was "brown".  I've heard many in DPD are racist (even though many of them are "brown" themselves).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 01:29:54 AM »
I would like to see the citation or arrest report with the stated MCL that was supposedly violated.

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
Detroit a one gun city?
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 09:11:28 AM »

I would like to see the citation or arrest report with the stated MCL that was supposedly violated.

At this point (me passing it to you) it is triple hearsay. Might as well be a story about a Salem witch trial written by a 20th century historian.