Author Topic: Ex-cop buys gun for uncle, gets charged with straw purchase  (Read 3343 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Ex-cop buys gun for uncle, gets charged with straw purchase
« on: August 14, 2013, 09:34:36 PM »
I don't even know how this happened as the story is somewhat incomplete on the details.  You are allowed to give guns, sell guns, etc.  Cop must have said something stupid.  Anyway, this "straw purchase" goes before the Supreme Court this October.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/14/editorial-the-check-box-felon/

Offline cherper

• First Name (Displayed): Cheryl
Re: Ex-cop buys gun for uncle, gets charged with straw purchase
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 12:06:17 AM »
According to the article, he checked the wrong box. He checked yes to "are you the actual transferee/buyer  of this gun?" and he was the buyer. He paid for the gun, so how could it be the wrong answer? Not sure how that works.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 09:46:17 AM »
One appeals court said it was wrong and another said it was right. Now it's up to the SCOTUS to decide.

IMO, the 5th circuit got it correct. "A wrong answer on the form would be deceptive only if intended to conceal an otherwise unlawful transaction"

I'm not a lawyer, but here is how I would argue the case. Mr. Abramski WAS the buyer. He then sold what he purchased legally to another individual (his uncle) in a separate legal transaction. Case closed. If Mr. Abramski's uncle was precluded from owning/purchasing firearms, then Mr. Abramski would not have actually "sold" the gun to his uncle, in which case, he would have actually been the one doing the purchasing for his uncle.

Offline sircapsalot

• Land of the FREE
  • First Name (Displayed): Dj
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 10:03:40 AM »
he would be charged with perjury, right? 

as far as i'm aware, that only applies if you knowingly and intentionally lie on a federal form.  this is sad that this is even a case.. sounds a little frivolous almost

Offline cherper

• First Name (Displayed): Cheryl
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:09:21 AM »
The article also says he went through 3 FFL dealers to make sure he did everything by the book....how did they not catch that question? Maybe he didn't show them the paperwork? or didn't ask about that question? Hmmm

Offline SteveS

• AmmoDump
  • First Name (Displayed): Steve
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 04:25:13 PM »
he would be charged with perjury, right? 

as far as i'm aware, that only applies if you knowingly and intentionally lie on a federal form.  this is sad that this is even a case.. sounds a little frivolous almost

It is not perjury.  There is another crime that punishes people that make a false statement on the 4473.  See 18 U.S.C. ยง 924(a)(1)(A)