Author Topic: Open carry on Ann Arbor busses  (Read 3541 times)

Offline SimbaLion

• SimbaLion's Blog
Open carry on Ann Arbor busses
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:37:07 PM »
Is it legal to carry on the AATA bus system, which is publically owned? Does it require a CPL? I can't find any 'rules' on their website.

Googling turned up some results about CATA, which is in Lansing. They used to ban weapons, but had to adjust their rules to allow 'legally carried firearms'. I imagine the AATA is the same, but I figure it's best to research first.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
Open carry on Ann Arbor busses
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:03:31 PM »
CPL required by law.  A bus is a vehicle, just like a car.

Try it, (with CPL) if they kick you off, leave immediately. Don't argue, don't debate. Be respectful. Take the legal approach up with management at a later time.

DON'T FORGET YOUR VOICE RECORDER!!!

.....and be careful not to disembark the bus onto U of M property.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: Open carry on Ann Arbor busses
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 04:48:23 PM »
Yes it is legal to carry on a AATA bus, but they might not know that. Assuming that you are correct in that it is publicly owned/run. Linux203 is correct in that you will need a CPL and to avoid UoM.

You are correct that CATA has recently change their policy. A few others have recently changed their policy as well. Here is a thread documenting the process with the bus authority in Grand Rapids. http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,2477.0.html

Best of luck and keep us informed in the Documented Government Abuse section if they indeed ban firearms.