Author Topic: PPD and OC  (Read 3975 times)

Offline army74

PPD and OC
« on: June 15, 2010, 05:34:20 PM »
Just to update everyone on the outdated ordinance in Pontiac Michigan. I was told by the city attorney he is not getting involved in it and i need to hire my own attorney. I was informed by the PPD officers Dorkins and Paramore that open carry is for people who dont have a cpl. I am once again in violation of my cpl. This happend while i was talking to a neighbor and i had 5 witnesses and was told by handing out a tri-fold i was going to get a lot of people in trouble. And oc has alot of grey area and I can be areested and he said you will have your gun taken away from you once again. If im caught driving around  with it in the open i can go to jail i thought once i enter my vehicle its considerd  concealed. I guess im a magnet for certain officers. About an hour before a female officer drove by me looked at me and smiled and waved no stop its a certain group of officers. Any help would be appreciated ty. >:(

Offline emt805

Re: PPD and OC
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 06:23:57 PM »
"I was informed by the PPD officers Dorkins and Paramore that open carry is for people who dont have a cpl. I am once again in violation of my cpl. This happend while i was talking to a neighbor and i had 5 witnesses and was told by handing out a tri-fold i was going to get a lot of people in trouble. And oc has alot of grey area and I can be areested and he said you will have your gun taken away from you once again. If im caught driving around  with it in the open i can go to jail i thought once i enter my vehicle its considerd  concealed. "

Alright I'm new but would this not be harassment?

Offline army74

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 06:36:17 PM »
exactly my point.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 09:08:37 PM »
Looks like it will take a group going to the City Council meeting camera in tow to get them to stop this crap and get down to the business of correcting this ordinance!

As for the police they are way out there!
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline northofnowhere

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 09:14:45 PM »
My advice would be as follows:

(1)  Ensure that you do not leave your home without a voice recorder, one that works and you have tested in various environments.
(2)  Make sure you 100% are legal everywhere you go, know the law and make damned sure you know it perfectly.
(3)  Carry a gun rights lawyers number with you.
(4)  Get hold of your Regional Coordinator in a email or PM, talk electronically or ask for a call, be sure to leave your contact information.  Explain the situation and have a two conversation about OC in Pontiac and what needs to get done to protect the rights of all residents.  You aren't alone, perhaps the RC can organize something for a council meeting.
(5)  If you are still on tippy toes about OC in Pontiac, find someone (or a couple) close to you and find some restaurants near the police station where the officers are stationed you are having trouble with.  Get in a weekly or semi-monthly lunch habit if we can't get some events there this summer.  They may still be confrontational, but they will hopefully be less so when there is a group of you.  It honestly sounds like they are unfortunately listening to the ill advice of the city attorney.  Besides being idiots, they are getting bad information from someone who is supposed to uphold the law and teach the officers the law.
(6)  Contact your state level representatives about the constitutional rights violations of the police via snail mail, it can't hurt your position.  Make sure to send a professional appearing letter, include the names of the police officers, and include some of what is in the LEO packets with regards to the actual law, cite the laws.  There is no law that says you have to conceal when you have a CPL, the police are clearly making up laws for people they don't like.

Good luck!

jason aka northofnowhere
Jason E. Reese aka northofnowher

Offline JoeCar

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 10:04:45 PM »
 Maybe there is a way to get the State Police involved. I believe that they are the ones that is usually called when there is a dispute. Isn't that the case? When is the next council meeting?

Offline Savage.Detroit

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 09:04:31 PM »
What's that weasel city lawyer's name again?
Adapted from Hillary: I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're in a hate group or a domestic terrorist. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration."

Offline army74

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 10:57:27 PM »
his name is Mark Hotz