Author Topic: First OC issue at a business  (Read 11982 times)

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
First OC issue at a business
« on: August 23, 2013, 11:52:01 AM »
Went to Kokomos in Saginaw yesterday with my daughter and spent hours playing and having fun with no issue. Also went to Dunhams and bought her first gun a Marlin .22LR. Then we went to fashion square mall. We entered through JCPennys and always I looked for criminal empowerment zone signs, there were none. We entered the main mall area and headed to a children's clothing store. After shopping for a while we headed to the fitting rooms in the back of the store. After my daughter went in I noticed a couple unarmed security guards walking slowly by the store looking in. After ensuring the clothes fit I paid for the items and we left the store. Upon exiting I noticed two security guards waiting for me. One to the left and right of the exit. I laughed at their "tactical" positioning. One guard approached me with the following dialogue.

Security: Can I speak with you for a minute?

Me: What about?

Security: (Looking at my OWB holstered SIG) Well, are you are open carrying?

Me: Oh my god I am!

Security: Well, the management does not allow weapons of any kind on the property. But you are welcome to put your gun in your car and come back in.

Me: Oh, well there is no signage stating that.

Security: It is posted as the mall entrances.

Me: I came in through JCPenny.

Security: It may not be posted there but the policy is the policy. You can come back in after you put your gun in your car.

Me: I will just leave then. I do not go anywhere that I am unable to defend myself or my family.

Security: OK. Thank you. (Extends his hand for handshake)

Me: (Shakes his hand) Sure.

We left for the car the way we came. My daughter knowing my policy and very understanding says, "Well we just won't come back here just like we can't go to Toys 'R Us." So proud of her. We headed to the Cabela's outlet and had a scope put on her new rifle OC'ing like always with no issue.

Just another place to add to the list of places I will not spend my money.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:26:51 PM by ken243 »
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 05:55:30 PM »
Most malls are anti-gun :(

The Lansing mall is posted rather obscurely. The main mall exterior entrances all have a vestibule. On the left side if the vestibule there is a "code of conduct" posted. In fine print amongst the other rules it says no weapons. Most people (self included) have never looked at their obscurely posted rules.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline harleyh77

• First Name (Displayed): Steve
Re: First OC issue at a business
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 12:24:57 AM »
Went to Crossroads mall in Portage this weekend. They have a small sign posted at the main entrances and not at the store entrances. No firearms allowed. Spent as little money as possible and got out of there. Went to sears to order a part for the dishwasher, the salesman went through the website so I don't think the store got credit for the sale.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" -Robert A. Heinlein

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 12:47:02 AM »
Sears has no problem with carry and they control their store so just stay out of the mall portion and you are fine.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 09:07:44 AM »
I have walked all over Crossroads Mall while OC. I have never seen the sign. I have looked. Is it only at one entrance? That was several months ago. I don't go to the mall very often.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 09:30:49 AM »
OC'd at Sears in Portage yesterday myself.
Of course I OC'd everywhere I went yesterday except when I went out for a beer.

Offline Smashfacekrav

• First Name (Displayed): Smashfacekrav
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 07:17:31 AM »
 I experienced a sign issue at Westshore Mall in Holland yesterday. As I walked in I did not notice any signs stating the rules however upon leaving I didn't see the sign stating that no firearms are allowed even if legally own unless you are a law-enforcement officer. I felt lucky to escape the mall without any issues.   This may explain why the mall is basically close down.

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
General George Patton

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 09:57:34 PM »
I never look for signs.

I never see any signs.

And the last thing I would ever suggest is that signs need to be posted.

In fact, I don't think I would eve mention signs.

Why give them any stupid ideas?
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline sircapsalot

• Land of the FREE
  • First Name (Displayed): Dj
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 11:56:43 PM »
Security: (Looking at my OWB holstered SIG) Well, are you are open carrying?

Me: Oh my god I am!

did you forget you were carrying or something? why such a surprised answer?  haha

Offline Jeff

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 11:49:45 AM »
did you forget you were carrying or something? why such a surprised answer?  haha

I took it to be sarcastic.  Like, "OH NO, I'm carrying....what ever will everyone do?...what would Jesus think....Please don't call my mother"

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 04:16:04 PM »
Jesus would have turned that Sig into a Five-seveN, then commanded him to go forth and sin no more.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 04:35:42 PM »
Jesus would have turned that Sig into a Five-seveN, then commanded him to go forth and sin no more.

You have one of those? cool.

But we all know that Jesus was a 1911 fan, his gun jammed...and you know the rest of the story.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 05:52:41 PM »
You have one of those?
Two, actually.   :)

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 08:40:33 PM »
...pea shooter.... ;)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 11:14:27 AM »

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 09:39:52 PM »
I have the AR 57. Nice little round. The FN in my F'in future.  ;)
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline ocdetroit

• STAY STRONG (WE THE PEOPLE).
  • First Name (Displayed): THE BIG O
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 08:32:58 AM »
I respect Dearborn Mall (Fairlane). Open Carry there all the time. Carry On .
 :)
Open carry in Detroit
With both of them.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 09:55:21 PM »
...pea shooter.... ;)
Robert says:

I’m retired police. I’ve carried a .38 model 15, model 66 3.57, Walther ppk/s .380 Smith 645, and a Sig Sauer p220. I’ve been shot at and I’ve shot back. I carry my Walther if I’m going to be walking about. I have my five-seven if I’m in my vehicle.

I buy my carry ammo from Elite Ammunition (S4M). I’m not worried about anything smaller than a grizzly bear when I have the five-seven. I have seen it take four hits,point blank, from a Smith 645 (230 grain hydroshoks) to knock a big guy down. He was out of the hospital the next day. He asked for more after the first two hits saying “Ah, yeah do me again”. My point is, I trust the proper 5.7 round more than .45 for defense.

February 8, 2014 at 20:04

I was introduced to this weapon on my first business trip to Mexico and noticed that my bodyguard as well as most of the bodyguards that were protecting us carried the 5.7. They explained to me that since we were in high threat areas (cartels, kidnappers etc.),they chose the weapon because it has been proven effective for them in many life and death situations.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/08/robert-farago/gun-review-fn-five-seven/#comments

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 11:21:27 PM »
Necro post much?

Offline casper

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 12:00:22 AM »
I experienced a sign issue at Westshore Mall in Holland yesterday. As I walked in I did not notice any signs stating the rules however upon leaving I didn't see the sign stating that no firearms are allowed even if legally own unless you are a law-enforcement officer. I felt lucky to escape the mall without any issues.   This may explain why the mall is basically close down.

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
General George Patton
Dunham's in the West shore allows you to open carry there.