Author Topic: Handgun Ownership in MI under 21  (Read 3576 times)

doesch

Handgun Ownership in MI under 21
« on: August 29, 2013, 10:32:50 AM »
I am 28 & have a 19 year old brother who wants to purchase one of my handguns. I'm a CPL holder; he's purchased a pair of rifles in the past year and has 0 issues that would bar him from gun ownership. He has no plans of carrying until he turns 21 and gets his CPL, he just wants to own one and do some target shooting with "his" gun.

Is it legal to go to the police station where he lives and do a pistol transfer between the 2 of us or is he stuck waiting until he is 21 to buy a handgun. We've both been doing some research on this topic and it seems unclear as we cannot find a specific law(s) on the subject (just a lot of opinions). Is there a law that covers this issue or is this a grey area and he should just wait the 18 months?

Thanks.

Offline Closing the Gap

Re: Handgun Ownership in MI under 21
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »
The 21 age limit is for FFL's only. In Michigan you can own a handgun at 18. Have him get a Purchase Permit and transfer it that way.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 10:46:32 AM »
The 21 age limit is for FFL's only. In Michigan you can own a handgun at 18. Have him get a Purchase Permit and transfer it that way.

+1

doesch

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 02:34:07 PM »
Thanks i will have him do that.