Author Topic: The 1:00 AM Knock  (Read 13275 times)

Offline Jeff

Re: The 1:00 AM Knock
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 10:15:40 AM »
Then I guess you could just say "I will call the police/ambulance on your behalf" and just not open the door.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 10:59:18 AM »
I don't, but for someone to knock on a stranger's hotel door at 1:00 AM because their room phone or cell phone doesn't work doesn't even make sense.  I wouldn't knock on someone else's hotel door for that at 5:00 PM, much less at 1:00 AM!

Either it's a trap or she was stupid crazy, neither one of which I wanted to deal with unnecessarily.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 07:58:43 PM »
I don't, but for someone to knock on a stranger's hotel door at 1:00 AM because their room phone or cell phone doesn't work doesn't even make sense.  I wouldn't knock on someone else's hotel door for that at 5:00 PM, much less at 1:00 AM!

Either it's a trap or she was stupid crazy, neither one of which I wanted to deal with unnecessarily.
not like there's a front desk clerk or a lobby phone ;)

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 07:46:26 PM »
this poor woman opened the door to a stranger
http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/72-yo-sexually-assaulted-in-romulus

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2013, 05:49:36 AM »
And none of us have ever seen a story about a person knocking on a door of a stranger to get away from an abduction I guess?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »
I think we all evaluate the particular circumstances.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 10:23:57 AM »
I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the disregard for others I am seeing here by most but it is very disappointing at minimum.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 07:26:24 PM »
I believe there are a lot of adult movies that start out with a random 1am knock on the door.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 03:41:12 AM »
SO, I was just put into this scenario.  And it was just after 1AM.  Banging on my front door, someone with a female voice asking for help.  I grabbed my firearm went to the door but didn't open it and said loudly "WHO IS IT"  She just said some babble that I couldn't understand.  I said "I am going to call the police" she said, "yes police, I need an ambulance".  So I grabbed the phone, dialed 911 and told them that there is someone banging on my front door, a female voice, I can't see who it is, they won't tell me who it is.

As the police were on their way I said to the person at the door "HELP IS ON THE WAY", then she kept saying "I need help, I need an ambulance" and said my name, and the previous home owners name.  I could not see out any window and was skeptical.  I couldn't confirm that the voice was a neighbor at the time and I was leery to open the door thinking it could be some kind of trap.  Had she just used my name and not the name of the previous owner and stated her own name I may have opened up but I didn't.  I kept thinking at any moment someone was going to come busting through my back door and that it was some sort of ruse.

Police arrive...***JUST edited out all the details of everything that was said, not sure if I should post all that*****

So basically it was my neighbor who was very intoxicated, so much that I didn't even recognize the voice.  She was sitting on my porch vomiting so I couldn't see who it was.  I feel bad that I didn't aide my neighbor right away but I was skeptical.

Now, it was a 2am knock on the door, I called her an ambulance.  I asked if she was positive that she needed one and she said "yes", I said that she might get arrested if they come out again and asked if she was  sure, she said "yes".  I tried to call her parents (also a neighbor) but they didn't answer, neither did her husband who was sleeping.

I feel I did the right thing by not blindly answering even though it WAS just my neighbor.

Just a few blasts of the hose to clean off the vomit (twice) I told all the officers that they are good neighbors and if at all possible I wouldn't want to see them with any charges against them, that I wasn't put out much and that it is ok.  They agreed.

I missed an OC opportunity to be carrying in front of like 6 cops though, I was just in my sleep attire so when I was outside speaking with the police I left my firearm inside.  >:(

DANG, they also took my blanket in the ambulance with her too /doubleangryface

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 11:58:41 AM »

DANG, they also took my blanket in the ambulance with her too /doubleangryface

A blanket is an inexpensive way to help a neighbor in need.  I would chalk it up as your good deed for the day!   :)

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 02:34:05 PM »