Author Topic: Driving to another location to OC  (Read 4668 times)

Offline Wardo

Driving to another location to OC
« on: July 16, 2010, 10:21:21 PM »
I have read that transporting a handgun, it must be in the trunk, unloaded, and in a case.   I also read the examples of what is considered a good reason for transporting the firearm.  My question is, is driving to another location considered a lawful reason to transport?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question.   Im just wondering, if i get stopped, and have a handgun in the trunk, am i going to catch hell for saying, "I plan to OC at (place), and am transporting it to that location"

Anyone have any comments/advice on this?
-----------------------------------------------
God made man, Sam Colt made him equal!

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: Driving to another location to OC
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 10:34:59 PM »
How would the officer know you have a gun in the trunk?

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline wardog6t

• Go Army, Beat Navy!
    • http://michiganopencarry.org
  • First Name (Displayed): john
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 11:15:41 PM »
 I read "The firearm/ammunition must be inaccesable to the driver..."
"Any day you don't hear a "POP" and "WHIZ" is a Wonderful day....."

Offline lil_freak_66

• Militia Marauder
  • NMVM
  • First Name (Displayed): Tyler
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 12:39:10 AM »
the lawful reason thing means as long as you arent otherwise breaking the law,it is alright,they throw the suggested locations in there to try and trick people.

you can carry loaded and on/near your person with a cpl however.
My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of  Michigan Open Carry Inc, any other organization, group, person or the law of this or any other municipality,state or country unless otherwise stated.

Offline Wardo

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 08:18:39 AM »
Ah, great points by all.  Thank you.   This is why i love this forum.  :)   
-----------------------------------------------
God made man, Sam Colt made him equal!

Offline venator

• MOC Member
    • My Parents Open Carry book order
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 10:32:09 AM »
I have read that transporting a handgun, it must be in the trunk, unloaded, and in a case.   I also read the examples of what is considered a good reason for transporting the firearm.  My question is, is driving to another location considered a lawful reason to transport?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question.   Im just wondering, if i get stopped, and have a handgun in the trunk, am i going to catch hell for saying, "I plan to OC at (place), and am transporting it to that location"

Anyone have any comments/advice on this?

As has been said before you can transport a handgun for all lawful purposes. 

Also you do not have to answer any questions posed by a LEO in a stop.  Remaining silent but respectful is your best strategy for all LEO encounters.  Also state you do not consent to any searches or seizures of your self or your property.  They may do it anyway, but you have not given consent which is important for any potential court case.  Too many times people give their permission to search their person or cars which makes any thing found by LEO admissible in prosecution.  Just watch COPS and look at all the times people give permission.  The LEO may/will threaten you with arrest, etc. if you don't comply, but better to let the judge sort it out then self-incriminate.

NEVER give permission, it will never help you.
Family book on OPEN CARRY go to: http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/
Looking forward to having more smites than posts.  Thanks all.
The above are my opinions only.  Please seek an attorney concerning all questions of law.