Open Carry Specific > OC Questions

OC/CC for my a person useing a store motorized shopping cart/or personal motoriz

<< < (3/3)

venator:

--- Quote from: TheQ on July 06, 2010, 11:52:09 PM ---
--- Quote from: TheQ on July 06, 2010, 11:38:17 PM ---From my recollection of reading the laws here:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/firearms.pdf

A vehicle for concealed carry purposes is basically anything with a motor.  But my memory could br wrong, I wouldn't trust it.  It'd look in the above PDF carefully.

--- End quote ---

Consult 750.227d:
750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed
for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 227d. (1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or
any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more
of the following:
(a) Taken down.
(b) Enclosed in a case.
(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.
(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or
a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
History: Add. 1981, Act 103, Eff. Mar. 31, 1982.

I'll let the lawyers figure this one out...

--- End quote ---

This is a hunting statute and specifically exempts pistols which are covered under other statutes.  Under the pistol statute a "vehicle" is not defined.  In law you can't take a definition of a term used in one statute and use it in another.  If no definition exists in the specific statute the courts tend to use common dictionary definitions.

cabman1:
the A.D.A.  says store motorized shopping cart/or personal motorized wheel chairs are considered extension of your legs there 4 can not be considered vehicles.

drtodd:
I looked through every definition of vehicle and it appears that an “Electric personal assistive mobility device” (this is what they are) is NEVER applicable.  The excluded from the term "vehicle" either by definition or specific exemption. I also noticed the same thing about "bicycles" too.  Therefore, IANAL/IMHO, if the legislature wanted to include an “Electric personal assistive mobility device” as applicable under the charge of "CCW- carrying in a vehicle", they would have to specifically include it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version