Author Topic: Macomb County Gunboard  (Read 17937 times)

Offline Jeff

Macomb County Gunboard
« on: September 09, 2013, 12:15:37 PM »
Finally, I have a meeting scheduled for the Macomb County Gun Board.

I filed my paperwork and got fingerprinted on 6/14/2013
All information was sent to the Macomb clerks office gun board on 7/17/2013 (although it was never updated on their website until today, it just kept saying that they have not yet received the information)
TODAY on 9/9/2013 the website finally updated the final step indicating that I have a meeting scheduled for October 22nd 2013

6/14/2013  -  10/22/2013

They have also been sitting on all the information required to issue me my CPL since 7/17/2013

I just wanted to give out some information in case anybody else has been waiting an extremely long time having to deal with the Macomb County gunboard like I have.

Had I Known it was really going to take this long I would have done a change of address and dealt with a different county.

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
Re: Macomb County Gunboard
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 05:37:01 PM »
Enough is enough. I think someone needs to send a message to this county that this is a violation of the law. Maybe consult an attorney about your experience, see if you have a case.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(o0v0kc55kywzlwejzkfmmxeu))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-28-425b

(13) Subject to subsections (10) and (14), the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue or deny issuance of a license within 45 days after the concealed weapon licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report provided under subsection (10). If the concealed weapon licensing board denies issuance of a license to carry a concealed pistol, the concealed weapon licensing board shall within 5 business days do both of the following:

(a) Inform the applicant in writing of the reasons for the denial. Information under this subdivision shall include all of the following:

(i) A statement of the specific and articulable facts supporting the denial.

(ii) Copies of any writings, photographs, records, or other documentary evidence upon which the denial is based.

(b) Inform the applicant in writing of his or her right to appeal the denial to the circuit court as provided in section 5d./i]
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline bluwc

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 10:27:18 PM »
I wonder why you have to go in front of the board, that rarely happens and they must want you to answer questions regarding something that popped up.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 10:43:15 PM »
I wonder why you have to go in front of the board, that rarely happens and they must want you to answer questions regarding something that popped up.
ALL new applicants have to appear in person before the Macomb County Gun Board.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline bluwc

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 07:49:37 AM »
I did not know that. Are they providing a psychiatric exam at this meeting? It seems like a waste of time and money to make everyone go in front of the board. In Genesee County they only time you go in front of the board is if something pops up on your check (unless things changed). This will be my 3rd renewal when the current one expires and I've never been in front of them.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 12:35:51 PM »
I did not know that. Are they providing a psychiatric exam at this meeting? It seems like a waste of time and money to make everyone go in front of the board. In Genesee County they only time you go in front of the board is if something pops up on your check (unless things changed). This will be my 3rd renewal when the current one expires and I've never been in front of them.

They ask you 4 questions at the gun board meeting.

Why have you filed an application to get your CPL? ------------ ANSWER: Personal Protection
Are you or any family members in any immediate danger? -----ANSWER: No
Where did you take your training at?  ------------------------------ANSWER: (place you took your class)
Have you ever been convicted of a felony? ------------------------ANSWER: No

All questions already answered on the application.

You are absolutely correct, it is a complete waste of time and money.  They go through 9 applicants every 15 minutes (I am assuming it is M-F between 9am-5pm)
I am pretty sure it is all about the money, the longer they make people wait and drag ass, the more paychecks they can get out of it.   They schedule you for your meeting after they have already approved you and are ready to give you your card but make you have to go in front of them anyways just to give one final step to deny you and make things take longer.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 01:53:52 PM »
Enough is enough. I think someone needs to send a message to this county that this is a violation of the law. Maybe consult an attorney about your experience, see if you have a case.

I want to do something about it but I am not sure what to do.  I have considered E-mailing the gun board but I know that won't result in anything positive.  I fear they could just then deny me and make me wait even longer.  I feel that anything I do could cause me grief.  I can't afford a lawyer, my uncle is a lawyer but he's one of the biggest jerks on the planet so unless I was in prison I wouldn't ask him.  I am not sure who else I could contact about it.  I'm sure a news company wouldn't care, they would try to spin it off like the gun board was doing a good thing.  I just don't feel that I have any options that would give me or anyone else any benefit at this time.

Offline bluwc

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 02:28:25 PM »
When you have your meeting, do you walk out with your license right then or do they make you wait longer and let you know if you're approved and snail mail it? If they don't produce the license at the time of the meeting, I would advise them of the law at that time

Offline dhardy57

Re: Re: Macomb County Gunboard
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 02:38:05 PM »

Ottawa county requires ALL CPL applicants to appear before the gun board.  There is the DA, Sheriff, MSP, and the county clerk.  They each ask you a few questions, most of which are on your written application.  If they all agree, the clerk hands you your CPL.  The interview is one-on-one accross a table but it is in a room with a dozen other applicants sitting there.  When I did my interview they did clear the room for one of the applicants at his request after they told him there were some personal questions they needed to ask.  When he came out he was not happy and did not have his CPL. 

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Offline Jeff

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 03:40:39 PM »
When you have your meeting, do you walk out with your license right then or do they make you wait longer and let you know if you're approved and snail mail it? If they don't produce the license at the time of the meeting, I would advise them of the law at that time

They give it to you there, I have already been approved or I wouldn't be going in front of the gun board, they would have sent me a denial letter.  I guarantee it has already been printed and laminated and is sitting in a file folder waiting to give to me on October 22nd.  And that I will have lost 3 months on the license because it was just sitting in their office collecting dust rather than giving it to me.

Even with it in my hand if I said something they didn't like they could suspend the license saying that I displayed a violent and aggressive attitude towards them and that they feel I am too hostile to have a CPL.  I don't think it would be a good idea to push their buttons when they clearly don't care about making people wait so long as it is.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 04:11:26 PM »
They give it to you there, I have already been approved or I wouldn't be going in front of the gun board, they would have sent me a denial letter.  I guarantee it has already been printed and laminated and is sitting in a file folder waiting to give to me on October 22nd.  And that I will have lost 3 months on the license because it was just sitting in their office collecting dust rather than giving it to me.

Even with it in my hand if I said something they didn't like they could suspend the license saying that I displayed a violent and aggressive attitude towards them and that they feel I am too hostile to have a CPL.  I don't think it would be a good idea to push their buttons when they clearly don't care about making people wait so long as it is.

Hidden recording device.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

doesch

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 08:34:04 AM »
I went through the same thing with Macomb county, I started the process on 2/26/2013 and was not issued my CPL until 6/11/2013.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Macomb County Gunboard
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 09:51:29 AM »
You poor saps...

In Ingham I submitted my app at the end if Aug 2010 and had my CPL 9/12/2010.

Wife's took 3 months -- same county.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline bluwc

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 10:01:59 AM »
When I did my renewal, I received my new one in less than a week and that was from the time I dropped off my app until my new license was in my mailbox. That was with Genesee County

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 09:18:25 PM »
When I did my renewal, I received my new one in less than a week and that was from the time I dropped off my app until my new license was in my mailbox. That was with Genesee County
That's great!
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Jeff

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 01:34:35 PM »
I just did a live chat with the Macomb County clerks office.  I asked them if there is any dress code for going in front of the gun board.  They told me, "we suggest "business casual"... we recommend no jeans..."

I asked if your attire had any bearing on whether or not you get your CPL.  they said "You are appearing before the gun board... it is important to present yourself in a professional manner..."

-----so what, if they don't like my choice of clothes they could deny me because I don't look professional enough?  I think I will go buy a pair of sweatpants, cut some holes in it, wear a tank top and flipflops.

I wonder if my suit still fits me.  Anybody have a Rolex I can borrow? :D

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 03:33:30 PM »
Business casual is always a good rule when representing yourself.  Khakis and a collared shirt is fine.  Just don't go wearing saggy pants down to your knees, a sports team shirt three sizes too large, a do-rag, and a baseball cap on sideways.

Btw, I was going to post a pic of what not to do and when I did a google image search for gang-banger, a picture of Mr. Rogers popped up on the first page.  That's messed up.  ;D

Offline jfmi87

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 01:14:53 AM »
I wasn't aware the 2nd amendment or self-defense had a dress code. Why haven't the gun boards been abolished or at least  the Macomb County Gun Board investigated for this behavior? In Branch county I applied/fingerprinted in early March and got mine not 2 weeks later, without having to attend a gun board meeting and miss work.

Sure Branch is much much less populated that Macomb but that is no excuse for denying someone based on what they wear, or taking months upon months to schedule a dog and pony show.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:23:21 AM by jfmi87 »

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 07:20:59 AM »
I wasn't aware the 2nd amendment or self-defense had a dress code. Why haven't the gun boards been abolished or at least  the Macomb County Gun Board investigated for this behavior? In Branch county I applied/fingerprinted in early March and got mine not 2 weeks later, without having to attend a gun board meeting and miss work.

Sure Branch is much much less populated that Macomb but that is no excuse for denying someone based on what they wear, or taking months upon months to schedule a dog and pony show.
Someone got denied because of their attire?!?!? That bullchit!!! He (she) should sue!!!

Offline Tail2spin

• Doug
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2013, 08:51:05 AM »
In Clare County you don't go before the gun board any more.
Doug