Author Topic: Transportaion Question  (Read 3909 times)

Offline jray1978

• First Name (Displayed): James
Transportaion Question
« on: September 15, 2013, 09:56:43 PM »
I'm confused on the transportation part without a CPL.

What if I want to go to lets say the park with my family, I do not have a CPL, but I put my firearm in a approved case separate from the ammo in the trunk of my car. When I get to the park I take the firearm out and open carry while walking through the park with my family.

Is this legal or illegal??

I have read the list of how I can transport a firearm without a CPL and to what designated location are legal but I thought I heard that if I'm transporting for my personal self defense that it is also ok to transport.

Please let me know and God Bless>
James Raymond

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Transportaion Question
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 11:15:33 PM »
Rather than repeat all of this here, read this post.  It should answer your questions about open carrying without a CPL, including transportation:

http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/index.php/topic,25.msg22906.html#msg22906

Offline jray1978

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 12:09:32 AM »
Thanks

I have read all the info, so just to make sure I'm understanding it correctly I can go to the park with my firearm without a CPL as long as the firearm is unloaded in a case and in the trunk not the passenger compartment? When I'm there I can open carry.

I don't know why I'm having a hard time understanding this. I know it would just be easier to get my CPL, my wife and I are planning on getting our CPLs but just can't afford the class right now.

James Raymond

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 01:01:21 AM »
Yes, but make sure when you uncase and encase your firearm, you are completely outside of your vehicle, meaning you should not be loading or unloading your gun inside the trunk or passenger compartment of your vehicle, and should only be removing or placing a cased gun inside your vehicle.

Offline jray1978

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 01:35:49 AM »
Thank you gryphon for the info. I work at Cabelas in Dundee and two gentlemen were there representing the MOC. I was not aware of Michigan being a open carry state until talking to them. Since then I have been reading the laws and educating myself as well as my wife on the laws of open carry. We are planning on becoming members of the MOC as soon as we get some extra money, as well as getting our CPLs. We are very blessed to have an organization like the MOC as well as the NRA to help defend and educate people on their right to bear arms.

Again thank you for your help and God Bless!!!!
James Raymond

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 10:50:55 AM »
I'm glad our members at the information table were able to answer your questions and point you in the right direction regarding learning more about your right to keep and bear arms in Michigan. Just our of curiosity, did you sign up for our email updates? If not, you can sign up at www.miopencarry.org/update when you are ready. I would recommend you and your wife attend one of our Open Carry Seminar's. We have one coming up in Taylor at gander Mountain at 7:00 PM on the 19th of September. The seminar is an excellent way to get even more information, clarify what you now know, and ask more detailed questions. If you wish to attend, please RSVP here: http://moc-seminar-taylor.eventbrite.com/
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.