Author Topic: Holsters With patterns.  (Read 6687 times)

Offline Jeff

Holsters With patterns.
« on: September 18, 2013, 10:46:03 PM »
I recently purchased a Forest City Tactical kydex holster but I got a print pattern rather than just a solid color.  I couldn't find what it would looked before purchasing  but here it is.

Yes I think it looks cool but I am wishing I had just purchased plain black because I'm not sure what kind of image I would have wearing that openly.  I don't get my CPL until later next month and fear a little that this holster could be sending out a negative message.  What do you guys think?

Aside from it not having a rubiks cube combination thumb latch electronic padlock retention system with extra mayo, do you think it would draw too much attention in a negative way OR, to heck with how people might perceive me out in public?

A friend of mine that is pretty much neutral as far as anti or pro gun says that it is sending the wrong message.  I plan to order a plain black one as well because I like the way it feels.

Offline METL

Re: Holsters With patterns.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 09:53:26 AM »
I don't think it's responsible to OC without an active retention holster lvl II or better.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 10:11:46 AM »
Yes I believe it would draw negative attention as well as it could be used against you if you unfortunately needed to use your firearm in a defensive situation.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 10:24:57 AM »
I don't think it's responsible to OC without an active retention holster lvl II or better.

I plan to get a holster with an active retention system but that isn't what this thread was about.  I am not going to open carry every day and everywhere I go and for those days I don't need an active retention system.

I am mainly concerned with the skull print pattern at the moment since I have only been open carrying around my neighborhood walking my dogs, mowing my lawn, washing my truck.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 10:51:32 AM »
Yes, it might draw attention.  Skulls?

I'm curious how you know which days you will and will not need active retention, though.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 12:08:05 PM »

I'm curious how you know which days you will and will not need active retention, though.

I feel that active retention is more for open carry when people "could" try to take your gun from you as a surprise attack.  Going right for your firearm (because they see it), so an active retention would be good for open carrying IMO.  As far as carrying concealed they likely won't know you have it so I don't think it's as big of an issue in that case.

Everybody that I know personally who carries concealed doesn't use active retention holsters and feel that it isn't necessary because it is concealed and won't be grabbed suddenly out of the blue.  I know an active retention is good in either case but feel that it isn't a must when carrying concealed.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 12:40:21 PM »
I thought we were talking about open carry.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 01:05:29 PM »
I thought we were talking about open carry.

Sorry for the confusion.

I plan to get an active retention holster for open carry for days that I want to open carry.  For days where I am going to concealed carry I got that kydex skull holster but questioned the print after receiving it.  I do not have my CPL yet because of living in Macomb county, they take forever but I should be getting it late next month.  Until then I have been open carrying around my house and neighborhood but am not sure if I want to display that holster to everyone.  In the end I may just end up using it as a range holster, even when I am CC peoples eyes will be drawn to it if I reach up over my head or am in a situation where I must open carry.  I fear the skull print wouldn't be a very good idea then.

Offline Hammurabi

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 01:14:24 PM »
I wouldn't worry about a skull print holster any more than I would worry about a skull-themed tattoo.

Then again, I don't have either.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 01:15:47 PM »
For IWB CC I recommend the Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe or the CompTac Minotaur MTAC or Minotaur Spartan.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/
http://www.comp-tac.com/

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 10:19:24 PM »
What retention??? Stainless1911 Mexican Carry is my choice.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 12:04:11 AM »
On any piece of gear that I might use for self defence, I ask myself-

How will this look to the jury when the prosecuter enters it into evidence as Exhibit #1 AT MY TRIAL?

Passed up a lot of cool looking grips for my 1911.....

Trust me, anything you say, do, own, post of Facebook or some other internet forum WILL be used AGAINST you in a court of law.

So, you gotta ask yourself; 'Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?' ;)
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 12:48:44 AM »
On any piece of gear that I might use for self defence, I ask myself-

How will this look to the jury when the prosecuter enters it into evidence as Exhibit #1 AT MY TRIAL?

That's a good point for sure.  I guarantee the prosecutor would bring it up, I would like to think that people were smart enough to know it didn't mean anything but sadly I am smart enough to know that there are plenty of people out there who aren't.   what :o

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 09:23:19 AM »
I'm with Shadow. If we learned anything from the Zimmerman trial, it was this. They even went after him for his +1 loadout and the fact that his firearm didn't have an external safety.  :o

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
Holsters With patterns.
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 02:52:43 PM »

They even went after him for his +1 loadout and the fact that his firearm didn't have an external safety.  :o

<sarcasm>
Relevant because his weapon accidentally discharged every round in it.
</sarcasm>

Logic and lawyers don't mix.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36