Author Topic: Holster for xdm 9 compact  (Read 12365 times)

Offline Carrie Knox

• First Name (Displayed): Carrie
Holster for xdm 9 compact
« on: September 21, 2013, 05:04:30 PM »
I have searched everywhere..Cabelas, Johnson's, amazon everywhere online.
I can't seem to find a open carry level 2/3 retention holster for my pistol.
I really don't want to carry a Serpa, but it's all I can find.
I like the gun but if I don't find a holster soon this gun will end up in the guns for sale section.
So..if anyone knows of a good holster..... recommend it.

Thanks in advance. :-\

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Re: Holster for xdm 9 compact
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 05:26:02 PM »
I would look for a nice galco or Bianchi thumbreak holster. Also Bianchi carrylock may fit as well.

Sent from my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk 2

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Carrie Knox

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 05:33:06 PM »
Thanks, ya I ended up at cabelas getting a galco silhouette high ride holster but it just isn't what I wanted.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »
Have you checked optics planet? They have about every brand of holster.

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 07:59:26 AM »
Are you sure a Safariland ALS will not work for that gun? Usually compact stands for shorter which shouldn't stop it from fitting in a full size XDm holster. If the extra length at the bottom of the holster bothers you, just cut it off.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 08:10:07 AM »
See if Phil will let you try his holster... I believe his is for a full size 9mm xdm. I know that some holsters work like supertrucker suggested. Not sure on the ALS.

Offline Carrie Knox

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 08:38:44 AM »
Thanks again guys, I'll see if it fits. Originally I was going for the safariland ALS but was told it wouldn't fit my 3.8.
Although I never actually tried it, I'll have to see if it might work before buying anything else.

Thanks for referring me to optics planet too. It looks like they may have a few other options.
Best selection I've seen so far...

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 09:04:55 AM »
Optics planet is pretty good to deal with. Occasionally they will have something back ordered and it will take awhile to get but I have always received my orders eventually and they keep you updated and give you the option to cancel if you so choose.

Further I usually check via factory part number on amazon if the item is backordered and so far have been able to get most of em that way. They make a good lookup system as they have all the manufacturers lookup pages linked as well as charts.

Stay informed about MOC events in your area http://miopencarry.org/updates

Offline Carrie Knox

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 11:40:22 AM »
Found a galco strykerbelt holster for the xdm9 sku#STR444.
Amazon has it for 57.99 sold from optics planet
Optics planet has it for 51.96 -  5 for email sign up. So that's a no brainer.

But my question is..does anyone have any experience with this particular holster?
Just want to make sure its the safest bet short of the Safariland ALS.
Carrying a kid on one hip and a kid at my side I need the safest holster I can find.

Also saw optics has a Tagua QuickDraw paddle holster as the other option.
#PD2-630 for 48.49.

Last choice is the Safariland SLS 6285 level 2 belt drop # 6285-14921-481.
Think you have to have a tac light for it to fight right though..which would be sweet but I don't have one yet.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 01:19:30 PM »
Belt drop holsters hang pretty low.  Think Barney Fife.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 01:44:57 PM »
I don't see the active retention on that holster.  Am I missing something?  It looks similar to a friend's galco holster that has active retention.  I wasn't super impressed by all the moving parts of the retention system on his holster but it seemed to work OK (assuming none of the parts break later).

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 02:16:14 PM »
Does Safariland make the SLS for this gun...? It's another good holster. Arguably better than the ALS.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Carrie Knox

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 03:14:23 PM »
Called optics. Guy cancelled my order and also said the Safariland SLS does not work for the 3.8 :'(
So he looked through all his stock and found 2 options.
1: Galco fletch concealment thumb break paddle holster #fl440 $78.46
2: Galco paddle lite holster #pdl440b $29.56

The holster I bought from cabelas looks pretty much the same as the fletch.
But its tan and I'd prefer black so I'll take it back and decide between these two.

Thumb breaks are all I get I guess.
I wish safariland would hurry up and make one for the 3.8.
But the guy said they are a few years behind the gun manufacturers.
Next time I buy a gun I guess I check out holsters first..
Who knew?! Grrrr
Thanks for everyone's help.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 04:26:17 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, why don't you want to use a serpa?

Offline Carrie Knox

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 05:36:09 PM »
I have been told via this group that Blackhawk Serpas are not recommended for inexperienced users.
Whether due to operator error or the holster design mechanism itself. When drawing the weapon from the holster your finger is in direct line with the trigger....I think, correct me if I'm wrong. People have been known to accidentally shoot themselves.
It's not a chance I want to take when the time comes to use my pistol in a stressful situation.

At this point my options aren't that great anyway as far as holsters.

For me it's just a personal choice.
For more info... Google Serpa failure.
And I'm sure more members can chime in on this if you'd like.
I apologize in advance if I inadvertantly have started a Serpa war.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 06:13:55 PM »
I understand what you mean but I believe they have extended the button out further so that it is in line with the slide of your firearm and not directly at the position that the trigger is in.

I wish I knew more on the subject to direct you to something that would suit your needs, I'm sure the others will help you out as best as they can.  Good luck in finding something that you will feel comfortable using.

My personal opinion on the matter though is to not get a paddle.  Even with active retention, the gun and holster could be ripped right off your body.  The holster would come out with the gun and not able to be immediately used against you but they would still have your gun.  With belt loops there is no way they are ripping the holster off when it's attached to your belt.  The ease of use of a paddle is nice and slipping it on and off is easy but it doesn't really take much more time to just feed it through a belt before putting your pants on and the system will be more secure.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 06:31:56 PM »
Safairland works perfect.  They don't show compatibility, but it fits.

Offline Carrie Knox

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 08:16:04 PM »
Thanks Jeff...I appreciate the advice. If black hawk did revise the holster I'd be fine with it if it was my only option.

Part deux..does the xdm 9 3.8 fit both the safariland ALS and SLS?
If so, I'd just go ahead and order the SLS and be a happy camper.

Thanks in advance

Offline kcsmith88

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
I'm not sure what kind of paddle holster Jeff was referring to when he said it can be "ripped right off you body."  I admit I'm new to OC and don't have a lot of experience with various holsters, but I ended up buying a Serpa for a 1911 Gov't, and unless I'm doing something really wrong, getting the paddle off without dropping my pants in nearly impossible. My dad also has one for a 9mm M&P, and I am almost positive that he cannot take the holster off without undoing his pants.  For my XD subcompact, I've just been using the factory holster so far and mostly in CC mode.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 09:50:53 PM »
I believe I have the ALS.  It did not show the 3.8 fitting it, but IRC, the standard fit it.  Went to a Magnum Force and they let me try it, fit perfectly, it's just longer than the muzzle.

Order it from someplace that has a liberal return policy.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 10:26:43 PM »
kcsmith, the Blackhawk Serpa paddle grips exceedingly well.  No one will EVER pull that off of you.  Others are not.  Safariland makes great holsters, but their paddles aren't as secure as Blackhawk's.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 12:20:51 AM »
Once again -- how about the Safariland SLD line?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Jeff

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 01:08:20 AM »
I'm not sure what kind of paddle holster Jeff was referring to when he said it can be "ripped right off you body."  I admit I'm new to OC and don't have a lot of experience with various holsters, but I ended up buying a Serpa for a 1911 Gov't, and unless I'm doing something really wrong, getting the paddle off without dropping my pants in nearly impossible. My dad also has one for a 9mm M&P, and I am almost positive that he cannot take the holster off without undoing his pants.

Every paddle holster I have come in contact with.  I have a fobus paddle that you can just grab, pull and twist slightly and it comes right off even with my belt on very tight.  I saw a safariland (at least I believe that's what he said it was) come right off not long ago, and various other paddles in gun shops when people were checking them out.  Sure without the active retention the gun will come out way before the paddle, but the paddle still isn't hard to remove.

I would love to see a paddle stay on as well as you described.  In the shops, people just slip them in and out of their pants with ease.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 07:53:34 AM »
Every paddle holster I have come in contact with.  I have a fobus paddle that you can just grab, pull and twist slightly and it comes right off even with my belt on very tight.

Blackhawk Serpas are not that way.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 01:39:32 PM »
Blackhawk Serpas are not that way.

I haven't tried one, that is good to know.  The ones I have seen at my local gun shop had belt loops though and weren't paddles.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 04:56:36 PM »
I haven't tried one, that is good to know.  The ones I have seen at my local gun shop had belt loops though and weren't paddles.

They should come with both belt and paddle attachments in the package.  At least the CQC version does.  I weigh well over 200 lbs and you could pick me up by the Serpa paddle holster.   :P

Offline Jeff

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 06:09:46 PM »
They should come with both belt and paddle attachments in the package.  At least the CQC version does.  I weigh well over 200 lbs and you could pick me up by the Serpa paddle holster.   :P

Cool, Next time I go to my local shop to put a payment on my Windham Weaponry AR-15 I will give one a closer inspection.  I don't recall seeing any there with paddles but I will look again and give one a try if they have one.