Author Topic: OC W/O CPL question  (Read 5129 times)

Offline EswPillowpants

OC W/O CPL question
« on: September 21, 2013, 05:37:10 PM »
Hey all!

I wanted to know if the law bounds me to carry in a certain way.  To be more specific, can i carry with a round in the chamber without a CPL?

thanks!

Offline Closing the Gap

Re: OC W/O CPL question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 06:12:23 PM »
Yes.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 08:48:40 PM »
I would suggest you not carry around a brick and if you are going to carry a brick -- it's better you literally carry a brick (although possession of a bludgeon is illegal in MI).  ALWAYS carry with a round in the chamber.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 11:11:50 PM »
I would suggest you not carry around a brick and if you are going to carry a brick -- it's better you literally carry a brick (although possession of a bludgeon is illegal in MI).  ALWAYS carry with a round in the chamber.

What my learned golleague was trying to say is that the law is silent of the subject of carrying a sidearm with, or without, a round chambered.

Tactically, it is a good idea to carry your sidearm loaded with one in the chamber, if it can be safely done. There are some older models of revolvers that should be carried with the hammer down on an empty chamber. This is to render the weapon 'drop safe'. Most recent sidearms have features desighed to provide a measure of safety should a weapon be inadvertantly dropped.

Tactically speaking, you will not likely have time to rack a slide to prepare your sidearm for combat. Studies show that at the range of most self defense shootings, you will barely have time to draw, much less chamber a round.

That being said, special consideration should be taken when OCing without a CPL; there are a number of places you MUST avoid, in particular, any establishment licensed by the state Liquor Control Comission. Special Note- it is NOT necessary for the establishment to actually sell alcohol- they only have to be licensed. Some gas stations, grocery stores, etc, have statewide licenses, although some locations may not sell alcohol. Make sure to become familiar with http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-35299_10570_12905---,00.html

As for a seminar in your area, let us know of a location in your area that has a private meeting room that can seat 25 or so people. Often sport shops have a training room that we could use. Restaurants are another good bet, if they have a private or semi private dining area. If we're not in a restaurant, we often have a lunch or early dinner somewhere prior to the seminar.

I look forward to a seminar in Ionia- it gives me an opportunity to check if they've installed a bronze plaque at the hospital commenmorating my birth, yet... ;D

Edit to add- not sure why I thought you were in Ionia- apparently the posts are starting to run together....

We'd be happy to do an OC seminar whereever you are!
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 11:53:36 PM »
I did see a plaque with your name on it saying not to take checks from "this guy"  :P

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 07:34:35 AM »
I did see a plaque with your name on it saying not to take checks from "this guy"  :P

You got that right! I need a bumper sticker- 'Driver carries no cash; wife has expensive taste in firearms...'
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 08:06:35 AM »
You got that right! I need a bumper sticker- 'Driver carries no cash; wife has expensive taste in firearms...'

Very Nice!   ;D ;D

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
OC W/O CPL question
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 02:41:41 PM »
A firearm, in the eyes of the law, is loaded if there is ammunition in it. Empty chamber I with at least one round in the mag is loaded. Empty mag with one in the chamber is loaded. This applies to firearms, regardless if a CPL is possessed or not.

I started off unchambered because I wasn't comfortable carrying yet. I ran drills with snap caps to practice drawing, chambering, and firing. However, I found it took much longer to obtain a firing grip and aim. I switched the drills to drawing a chambered firearm and not putting my finger on the trigger until I had a firing grip and aimed. I now carry chambered 100% of the time, regardless of the quantity and type of firearm.

If you are worried about shooting yourself when drawing, buy snap caps and practice, practice, practice. If you are worried about the firearm magically discharging, they don't. If you are worried about discharge from dropping, learn the safe states of the firearm.

Learn and practice. Stay safe out there.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Jeff

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 04:24:49 PM »
And never try to catch a dropped weapon.