Author Topic: Non-profit orginazations/buildings..public?  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Jeff

Non-profit orginazations/buildings..public?
« on: September 22, 2013, 06:21:23 PM »
Does a non profit organization constitute as being publicly owned?

I was looking into the ownership on a few places in my area and the big one was William Beaumont Hospital (Beaumont Health Systems) and all I could find is that the "ownership" was labeled as "non-profit"

In my area I have NEVER seen anybody open carrying a firearm, only myself and I sure get the looks sometimes just in my neighborhood.  But with a thread started the other day about a hospital in another country I started wondering about my most local hospital so I started to look it up.  I couldn't find anything except.....http://hospitals.findthebest.com/q/2036/3480/Who-owns-William-Beaumont-Hospital-troy-in-Troy-Michigan in regards to it's ownership.

So does "Non-profit" have anything to do with whether something is privately or publicly owned?

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
Non-profit orginazations/buildings..public?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 07:13:53 PM »
Michigan Open Carry, Inc. is an example private corporation that is a non-profit. We are not owned by a government agency or agencies. It is possible the hospital is the same.

The question is the ownership behind the corporation.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
Re: Non-profit orginazations/buildings..public?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 12:17:50 AM »
Privately owned/ran not for profits are NOT preempted and may make rules about their private property concerning firearms.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).