Author Topic: LEOs keep stealing pro-2A signs  (Read 14558 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
LEOs keep stealing pro-2A signs
« on: September 24, 2013, 10:08:09 AM »
Turns out it's on the blaze, too:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/23/fed-up-ny-man-sets-up-hidden-camera-to-find-out-who-was-repeatedly-stealing-his-pro-gun-sign-what-he-discovered-blew-him-away/

This is blowing up online!

It's a long thread in NY but its shocking.  This guy puts a small sign up about repealing the NY Safe Act and they keep getting stolen.  Then he thinks maybe it's issues with the laws of putting a sign up, but all is good there and he's allowed.

He makes the sign harder to steal and they keep going missing.  Finally he sets up a Trail Camera and makes it harder to steal the signs.  Turns out to be a total shocker to everyone following when its the local police department pulling up and destroying them.

Thread is here
http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics/60634-so-remember-my-repeal-safe-act-sign-issue.html

You gotta be logged in to see the photos but here are the incriminating ones.

You can see him kick over the sign here:

Offline gryphon

• Administrator

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
Re: LEOs keep stealing pro-2A signs
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
I like the idea of rigging it so a flare goes off if it gets tampered with, but that's just me...
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 01:58:34 PM »
I like the idea of rigging it so a flare goes off if it gets tampered with, but that's just me...

That's just asking to be charged with a crime.

Make the sign and post metal, attach a cable to it, and then bury the cable. Cop picks up the sign, starts walking back to his car, then *twang*. Flood lights go on, sirens sound, vid goes on Youtube.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 02:17:17 PM »
Many sites are picking this up now. Somers PD has been called by many organizations and they won't comment.

The code (170-127) gives only the Building Inspector removal authority, subject to and only after an order from the town board. The building inspector gave the homeowner permission to post the sign.

It does not appear the police have arbitrary code enforcement authority.

The guy has an attorney working on this. He has received many media requests for a statement or appearances, and they have decided the benefits outweigh the minuses, so they are going to make public statements about this and it sounds like they are going to proceed along a legal front against the police.

SCOPE is sending this guy out new signs free of charge.

http://www.scopeny.org/somersNY.html

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 03:23:40 PM »
That's just asking to be charged with a crime.

Make the sign and post metal, attach a cable to it, and then bury the cable. Cop picks up the sign, starts walking back to his car, then *twang*. Flood lights go on, sirens sound, vid goes on Youtube.

Eh, yeah, might not be the most legal. But then again, from a philosophical standpoint, I never had issue with potential injury coming to someone who initiated a rights violation.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 04:00:20 PM »
From NYF:

I believe the Supreme Court has ruled that local ordinances are trumped by political signs in this case: City of Ladue v. Gilleo, 512 U.S. 43 (1994), was a free speech decision of the Supreme Court of the United States. It was a case challenging the legality of a city ordinance restricting the placement of signs in the yards of residents of Ladue, MO. The Court ruled in favor of Gilleo. The ordinance violates a Ladue resident's right to free speech. The law's ban on nearly all residential signs eliminates an entire form of expression of political, religious or personal messages, for which there is no equivalent substitute.

There are other signs in other yards on the street placed just like his. The police are only removing his signs. In fact, there is a series of hi-res pictures where the LEO has a big, sh*t-eating grin as he uses his boot to break the wooden sign and put it in his car.

So far they have taken four of his signs, one each Monday. Now that this has been reported to the media, the police are now cruising his street for some odd reason.  In fact, they are doing u-turns in front of his house to make sure they know he sees them.

Intimidation?  JBT?

It seems like the police there believe only the police should have firearms and high-capacity magazines, etc.

The homeowner was just interviewed on 930 AM in NY. He has another interview at 4:00 on 1300 AM.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 04:51:38 PM by gryphon »

Offline Jeff

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 05:51:40 PM »
Heh, park a vehicle there with a sign inside and see if they have the stones to bust out the window :D

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 06:17:06 PM »
Can't do that.  They actually have a law against having signs on vehicles.  I read that earlier today.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 07:17:29 PM »
Can't do that.  They actually have a law against having signs on vehicles.  I read that earlier today.

:( You sir have just shattered my world.

...What about claymores then?  ???

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 08:07:05 PM »
My guess is there are no local ordinances against claymores. 

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 08:10:57 PM »
From NYF:

Saw the Somers fire inspector at the deli and he told me every town office is aware of what happened and the phones won't stop ringing! He says its not looking pretty for the officer.

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics/60634-so-remember-my-repeal-safe-act-sign-issue-42.html#post608734

Attorney on the case says they already have additional evidence and they will be skipping the state and pursuing a federal lawsuit.

Homeowner was interviewed by TV News 12 in Westchester.  It will be on the 10 PM news.

Live TV 12 News feed: http://westchester.news12.com/news/news-12-westchester-live-1.3924903

Offline Jeff

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 08:21:55 PM »
Nice, thanks for the update.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 08:48:02 PM »
Nice, thanks for the update.

+1 Keep us updated gryphon. Great work.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 08:58:35 PM »

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 05:55:08 AM »
Due to union contracts the cop will get a 6 week paid suspension and a raise for the pain and suffering he has been though when he returns.

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 11:24:06 AM »
Interesting that this has not made the CNN or Fox News websites. I would think at least Fox would have it.

I haven't followed CNN too closely, but noticed they no longer have a section on guns/firearms on their top link bar.

I wonder how long, if ever, until the "mainstream" media picks this up.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 01:37:18 PM »
Fox was in contact with him yesterday.    More interviews are coming.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 01:38:29 PM »
I am guessing that they won't pick it up.  It would make the antis look bad and CNN isn't into reporting stuff like that.  I guess they could always twist the story up though, call it an AR-15 assault sign.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 02:09:50 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/25/hidden-camera-catches-culprit-taking-man-second-amendment-sign/

Hidden camera catches culprit taking man's Second Amendment sign

A New York man, frustrated when his pro-Second Amendment sign kept disappearing, was surprised when the hidden camera he set up revealed the culprit to be a local cop.

Jon Gibson, of rural Lake Lincolndale, about 50 miles north of New York City, told FoxNews.com he set up a hunting field camera near the sign, which reads "Protect the Second Amendment," and features the silhouette of an assault rifle, after two mysteriously vanished. A third sign disappeared before the camera finally captured the sign stealer -- a police officer from the nearby Somers Police Department.

Murphy also denied Gibson's claim that the officer had attempted to destroy the sign.

“I have seen the images that were taken, but it is my understanding that he was loosening the sign from the ground,” she said. “It was brought to the Police Department and it is still intact and he (Gibson) would be able to come pick it up.”

However, images provided to FoxNews.com by Gibson clearly show the officer in mid-kick, snapping the post of the sign in half.

Gibson says that he never received any sort of citation and that he’s been singled out as other signs in the area have been left undisturbed.

“This isn’t about the Second Amendment. My First Amendment and even my Fifth Amendment rights have been violated,” he said, explaining that words and image on the sign are protected by his right to free speech and the sign itself was taken from him without due process.

“I’m not quite sure where this is going to go, but what’s important here is that people need to defend their rights,” Gibson said.