Author Topic: LEOs keep stealing pro-2A signs  (Read 14564 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: LEOs keep stealing pro-2A signs
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »
Somers Police Get Death Threats After Pro-Gun Sign Photos Go Viral

SOMERS, N.Y. – The Somers Police Department is receiving national attention after a resident videotaped an officer removing a “Protect The 2nd Amendment” sign from his front yard.

Somers Police Chief Michael Driscoll told The Daily Voice the department has received hundreds of phone calls and emails from around the country “screaming that the incident is a violation of rights.”

"We’ve received numerous hate mail and phone calls threatening to kill officers. Most are very upset. They say the sign was on private property. It wasn’t. I’m very shocked by the venom we’ve received.”

Gibson, however, is continuing to tell TheBlaze that his sign was indeed on his property and that the Somers police are violating his First Amendment rights. His attorney told TheBlaze the issue has become a big deal because his client put up a First Amendment covered sign on a Second Amendment issue, which is a hot button topic in New York.

http://somers.dailyvoice.com/news/somers-police-get-death-threats-after-pro-gun-sign-photos-go-viral

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 03:03:55 PM »
LAWYER VS. TOWN SUPERVISOR: NEW DETAILS IN CASE OF OFFICER TAKING MAN’S PRO-GUN SIGN

A police officer was justified in taking a New York man’s pro-Second Amendment sign as the city of Somers, N.Y., has determined it was located on “public property,” Town Supervisor Mary Beth Murphy told TheBlaze.

However, the man’s attorney, Richard Bombardo, of Syracuse, strongly refuted the claim, telling TheBlaze “that’s not what the law says.” To that effect, the attorney said he and his client, Jon Gibson, will “probably” file federal civil rights lawsuit.

Indicating that the law was much more complex than that, Bombardo disputed the city’s claim, saying that the city does not exclusively own the property and was required to cite his client prior to taking action relating to personal items on his property.

“We have a very solid case,” he said.

When asked about the manner in which the officer caught on camera removed the sign, kicking it and snapping its post, Murphy was slightly evasive.

“I did ask the police chief if there was any damage to the sign and he said no,” she said, but later admitted that the “support beam” may have been slightly damaged as the officer tried to loosen it.

Somers police officer kicking the sign and breaking it with his boot.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/25/lawyer-vs-town-supervisor-new-details-in-case-of-officer-taking-mans-pro-gun-sign/

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 03:13:19 PM »
“I did ask the police chief if there was any damage to the sign and he said no,” she said, but later admitted that the “support beam” may have been slightly damaged as the officer tried to loosen it.

Well ma'm, it looks like you have some slight damage to your support beam.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 03:35:43 PM »

"We’ve received numerous hate mail and phone calls threatening to kill officers. Most are very upset. They say the sign was on private property. It wasn’t. I’m very shocked by the venom we’ve received.”

Shocked? Amazing.

This made me re-read a certain piece with a significant shock title...

Not sure if the powers that be will let the link stand, but here we go:
http://www.copblock.org/5475/when-should-you-shoot-a-cop/
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 06:07:51 PM »
Homeowner will be doing an in-studio interview on Fox and Friends 6:30 AM this Friday.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 10:02:55 PM »
From the homeowner's attorney on NYF:

...there have been many developments. The [homeowner] already posted about some of them. There is more.

James Tresmond and I are jointly filing this case. We have confirmed a second source of information regarding who stole at least one other sign. We also have uncovered another case of this same conduct in the Town of Somers. Unbelievable. You haven't seen anything yet.

FYI, James Tresmond is the attorney who is filing the lawsuits against NY's SAFE Act.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 11:53:54 AM »
USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/25/dispute-over-pro-gun-sign-becomes-internet-cause-celebre/2873727/

They omitted that part where the building inspector told the homeowner he could leave the sign up.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 02:04:05 PM »
The Daily Mail has picked this up.  They photoshopped the AR15 out of the sign closeup.  ;D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2433233/Hidden-camera-catches-culprit-taking-mans-Second-Amendment-sign--POLICEMAN.html

Offline Jeff

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 04:40:15 PM »
HAH, they sure did photoshop it out that's funny.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 05:11:24 PM »
Oops, I forgot to come back and edit my comment.  I found out that the first version of the sign did not have the AR15 on it, and that is what the pic is of.  My mistake.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »
LOL.  The local Democrat running comes out in support of the homeowner, pointing out the Republicans have plastered their signs all over the public right of ways and public property and and they haven't ordered the police to remove them despite existing laws.

Hypocrites.

The campaign [of Democrat Noam Bramson] called on his opponent, Republican incumbent County Executive Rob Astorino, to join his call.

“Gun safety is a crucial issue in this election, and people have a right to express their beliefs about it regardless of what side of the aisle they’re on,” said Bramson spokesman Barry Caro in a statement. “During this campaign, Mr. Astorino has plastered lawn signs on public property throughout Westchester regardless of local restrictions. That’s why we hope he’ll join us in condemning his running mate’s censorship."

http://polhudson.lohudblogs.com/2013/09/26/bramson-campaign-comments-on-somers-sign-controversy/

Offline Jeff

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 06:08:22 PM »
Oops, I forgot to come back and edit my comment.  I found out that the first version of the sign did not have the AR15 on it, and that is what the pic is of.  My mistake.

The shame, and here I trusted you.  I dunno man, I don't things can ever go back to the way they were. I just don't know, leave your key on the nightstand.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 06:59:38 PM »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 08:11:19 AM »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 10:59:02 AM »
Sign back up in a slightly different location.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 02:01:24 PM »
Are they going to give him grief now from nailing into a living tree?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 06:55:58 PM »
More from the attorney:

"We have had substantial consultations about the placement and size of the sign. The tree placement is temporary. A larger sign will go up shortly in a different location. Stay tuned. He will place the sign where he wants to. It is his land. We will not bend on this."

Offline Jeff

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2013, 08:44:29 PM »
More from the attorney:

"He will place the sign where he wants to. It is his land. We will not bend on this."

Damn right!!!

Offline gryphon

• Administrator

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2013, 09:17:40 AM »
The new staked survey has been completed, and the results have been turned over to the attorneys.  They have been looking at several ways to proceed, so the homeowner is waiting on them right now.