Author Topic: Starbucks to ask customers not to bring guns in stores  (Read 8892 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Starbucks to ask customers not to bring guns in stores
« on: September 18, 2013, 12:27:15 AM »
Starbucks Corporation is about to become less friendly with its firearm carrying clientele. While they aren’t banning the carry of firearms in their stores, they are making it clear that customers with firearms, whether carried openly or concealed, are unwelcome.

According to an internal document dated 9/16/2013, Starbucks Coffee stores will “request that Starbucks customers not bring weapons into our stores.” The request will come in the form of an open letter from Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz to national media outlets that will be shared Thursday, 9/19/2013.

The memo stresses this announcement doesn’t signal a company policy change. Starbucks’ corporate stance on firearms dates back to 2010 when they stated each store would respect the jurisdictional law that allowed the carry of firearms on their premises.

“Starbucks is not pro- or anti- gun,” the latest document reads, “We believe gun policy is a complicated, serious and emotionally-charged issue that should be addressed and enforced by government leaders and law enforcement rather than by Starbucks and our partners.”

The memo to all store staff explains that employees are not to put themselves in “the difficult position of enforcing this request; however, we are being clear that weapons are not welcome in our stores.”

Gun carriers should be prepared for stern looks and passive aggressive foam art from their barista.

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2013/09/17/starbucks-to-ask-customers-not-to-bring-guns-in-stores/

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
Re: Starbucks to ask customers not to bring guns in stores
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 06:36:50 AM »
Just saw this myself and came here to post it. Guess I will add it to the list of places I shall never again patronize.
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 09:02:13 AM »

You know I saw this coming as some gun rights activists just cannot leave well enough alone. Starbucks never was pro gun they were neutral. However both the pro gun people and the antigun people had to put them in the unfortunate place of being in the middle of the issue.

The fact is if the pro gun people would have just gone to Starbucks when they wanted Starbucks OC or CC whatever and not made a big deal about the issue and just been happy that they were left alone I really doubt this would have happened.

However people just had to push their agenda on private property even though Starbucks made it clear they wanted no part of this. I blame the pro gun people for reacting to every move of the anti as this is what I feel tipped the balance.

And further I think the anti is smarter than many of us give them credit. They knew that their boycott would not affect Starbucks at all but that the pro gun community would react with a demonstration at Starbucks and that that this would irritate the CEO and likely lead to this result.

We are our own worst enemy as we cannot seem to switch gears from what works in public place to what works in a private business.

This is simply my opinion and not any organizations stance that I am aware of.

Stay informed about MOC events in your area http://miopencarry.org/updates
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 11:56:43 AM »
A very small majority of anti 2A customers ( or were they) made their position very publically known to force SB hand in this issue... and here we are fighting amongst ourselves about if it was the public display of firearms that cause the issue or not???

This is exactly why we are continuously losing, the anti's are relentless in their attacks, and we constant infight amongst ourselves.

WE, and this means ALL OF US, need to send a message to the CEO of SB that WE, ALL OF US WE, will no longer be shopping in their stores.

2A day was a huge success and increase in sales for SB, but if we roll over and continue shopping, then Walmart will say hey, no more cotroversy, just ban firearms.

/rant

Offline Jeff

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 01:15:11 PM »
Gun carriers should be prepared for stern looks and passive aggressive foam art from their barista.

LoL.  I want to see them draw a gun with a cross through it in my frappuccino!  They would be giving me a refund but it would still be kind of funny to me.

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 02:09:58 PM »
The fact is Starbucks asked to not be used as a political tool. They have the right to request this as a private property owner. By us making a huge deal about their perceived support ( when they were just neutral ) we our selves forced their hand by not abiding by their wishes.

Wasn't it good enough that they were neutral? In my opinion that is the best case scenario for gun owners with any non firearms store. But no that wasn't good enough people just had to have the fight with the idiot antis at Starbucks which was just what Starbucks asked us not to do. And just what the antis wanted because they hoped this would happen.

I firmly believe if we would have ignored the antis in this case Starbucks wouldn't have made this move because it was our demonstrations that were the most visible and got the most press. Further we as a group (pro gun activists) proved we don't respect a private property owners wishes. And that wish was to be left out of the political battle.

Starbucks didn't care if we OCed there as long as we were just going about our daily routine. It was when we started making it into a demonstration that they had a problem with it.

So in our zeal to support a perceived ally we forgot that they never said they were an ally but rather neutral and just wanted to sell their product to everyone regardless of political bent. 

Stay informed about MOC events in your area http://miopencarry.org/updates
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 09:48:01 PM »
A couple of people LGOC into starbuck.

Thousands of people HGOC or CC every single day.

A couple of groups with contact to MSM argued that SB should ban carry...

Anti's will use any and every means possible to ban guns, and they won this round.  Because SB is making a HUGE deal out of this with full page ads, next up, Walmart, Home Depot, etc.

All because a handful of very vocal liberals are afraid of firearms.

A move this big may cause critical mass movement in the acceptance of firearms.

Offline Donut

• First Name (Displayed): Donut
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 08:50:47 AM »
Not go to Starbucks ,, I can do that !. Too darn expensive anyway. It's just coffee and just a cup of coffee from the local gas/party store will do me fine.

The CEO of Starbucks was talking in circles in my opinion and his only good part of his statement was that he approved and abides by state laws about carriying, now if all other buisness did that we would be fine. But when a buisness opens their doors to the public then the private property should not be able to e applied.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 09:03:15 AM »
If I want a coffee and Starbucks is the only place, I'm going. It's not like I hang out there anyway. I see what Autosurgeon has written and agree with his thoughts.

They are doing what they need to do, to appease the Anti's and I believe they are still "Neutral" in that they did not outright BAN firearms in their stores.

Offline Donut

• First Name (Displayed): Donut
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 09:22:30 AM »
So you won't be asked to leave and will still be served. So now what happens when they have a disgruntal anti gun person in thre store loudly complaining. Or an anti gun employee. I do understand thst we need to be polite and not escalate things

Our lives.
we have less police now per population.
We have more criminals per population.
Anti gun advocates don't want us to protect ourselves and them.
The police do a great job but are there only to clean up the aftermath.
Something just doesn't seem right here.
So the anti gun people need to snap their fingers and make the crime go away. I think that will work!!!.

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 09:55:43 AM »
In the case of an employee there would be a complaint filed with mgmt. As far as a customer, what do I care if they are "scared!!". I look at this the same as if I were at any other store. I would try to educate but if the person won't or does not want to listen, I'll finish my business and leave.

What would people do if they were in Starbucks a month ago and there was an anti gun employee or customer?

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 07:24:23 PM »
So you won't be asked to leave and will still be served.

Aren't you already on notice and technically trespassing?

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 08:59:13 PM »
Aren't you already on notice and technically trespassing?

I think so personally.  It is too fine of a line for me to consider going there but some here and on MGO don't seem to care about that or supporting a now anti establishment.  I don't go and spend money where my gun isn't welcome regardless of it is an outright ban or a 'suggestion' to not carry. 

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 10:12:43 PM »
Starbucks has asked us not to bring our guns. But our wallets are welcome. That'll be the day!!!
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 12:10:12 AM »
What the hell is a Starbucks?
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 08:17:29 AM »

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 10:29:23 AM »
It would have been great if the robber had turned around and said "Hey, didn't you hear that your gun isn't welcome here!"

Offline Jeff

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 12:22:09 PM »
NOW....did an employee lock the door while he was robbing the place, or was it just locked and they are trying to put a spin on the story?  Why on earth would an employee lock the door, when you take away a criminals escape route there is often more trouble than needed.  Hostage situations and such.  If an employee actually locked the door DURING the robbery, that person needs to be kicked in the shin.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 07:25:12 PM »