Author Topic: New Member-1st Question. Please Help.  (Read 5794 times)

Offline bobvanjr

New Member-1st Question. Please Help.
« on: September 27, 2013, 01:09:21 AM »
Hi everyone.  I've been becoming increasingly interested in OC.  I'd like to be able to carry in the no carry zones that apply to my CPL, specifically at my kids schools.

It appears I am legally able to do so.  It seems very, very clear based on the information here.

I would obviously expect some kickback from the school and local police but I'll try to figure out a way to deal with that.

My main question is that I have recently noticed signs at the local high school that say "Weapons Free Zone"

What does that mean to a CPL holder that is OC?  I live in Midland by the way.  I haven't noticed the signs at my other two children's schools.

Thanks for the help or pointing me in the right direction to get the answer I need.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: New Member-1st Question. Please Help.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 08:24:24 AM »
Hi bob,

First I would recommend that you attend an MOC event like a seminar and make sure you know the law forwards and backwards. If you're doing something someone in government doesn't like, you better make sure you're doing it right.

Keep in mind that I am not a lawyer and what I tell you does not constitute legal advice.

Per MCL 123.1102 and CADL v. MOC PUBLIC schools are "quasi-munisipal" organizations that are preempted under state law from regulating firearms to and extent stricter than state law. PRIVATE schools are private and as such not subject to MCL 123.1102 because they are not units of government.

If you have a CPL and you are openly carrying your firearm, theoretically, there is nothing the school can do about it, however, many will try. Things such as putting up signs, going into lock-down, and calling the police. Essentially harassment. Whether or not they can get away with these this is questionable unfortunately. Schools have a lot of leeway when it comes to safety and maintaining order.

I hope that helps. If you have more questions, please ask them.

** Edited to distinguish between public and private schools.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:44:13 PM by bigt8261 »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 08:52:17 AM »
We are assuming you are talking about public schools.  Private schools can make their own rules.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 08:54:43 AM »
We are assuming you are talking about public schools.  Private schools can make their own rules.

Forgot that part. Thanks gryphon.

Offline bobvanjr

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 09:21:07 AM »
Sorry guys, I guess I never set up email notifications for replies to my posts.  I need to figure out how to do that.

It is a public high school but it is the ONLY school in town with a "weapons Free Zone" sign posted out front.  There are only two of them and it would be really easy to miss them.  The whole school issue of whether it is public/private has always driven me nuts.

Thanks for the help so far.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
New Member-1st Question. Please Help.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 10:18:37 AM »
Click the "notify" button (or is it "subscribe"?) on the thread.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 09:56:56 AM »
Click the "notify" button (or is it "subscribe"?) on the thread.
It's "notify."
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 12:47:27 PM »
It's "notify."

Hmm- I clicked 'spotify', and now it sings the posts to me....
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline sircapsalot

• Land of the FREE
  • First Name (Displayed): Dj
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 12:54:03 PM »
Reminded me of this...

Offline Jeff

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 03:04:27 PM »
I can't read so the one with the Circle and line through it looks makes the building look scarier.  The other one is just a guy using a level and hanging up a curtain rod right?

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 07:19:34 PM »
Sorry guys, I guess I never set up email notifications for replies to my posts.  I need to figure out how to do that.

It is a public high school but it is the ONLY school in town with a "weapons Free Zone" sign posted out front.  There are only two of them and it would be really easy to miss them.  The whole school issue of whether it is public/private has always driven me nuts.

Thanks for the help so far.
I'm OK with that sign as long as the school understands it actually applies to just the students.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington