Author Topic: Obama administration to allocate $45M for cops in schools  (Read 7322 times)

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Obama administration to allocate $45M for cops in schools
« on: September 28, 2013, 08:12:29 AM »
I thought he said this wasn't the answer. I guess everyone owes Wayne LaPierre an apology.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/09/28/obama-administration-to-spend-45m-on-cops-in-schools/

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 09:11:19 AM »
It's not the answer. That amount divided by 50k/cop is 900 full time officers. You'd need 100 times that amount.
That's $5B, for those not keeping track.

I'm not comfortable with stealing (taxing/borrowing/printing) $50M, let alone $5B from people. Personally, I'd rather individuals decide how to best spent their $.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline fitrah

Re: Obama administration to allocate $45M for cops in schools
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 11:52:31 AM »
I agree, its not the answer (but maybe for a different reason).

Having cops in the school turns them in to something like a prison. Teaching our kids to live in fear. acclimating them to having someone guarding them (prisoner training). We should teach them that ones safety is in his own hands.

The citizen has the responsibility to protect. Teachers, janitors, etc should all be packing. Lets phycos know that this school does not have powerless victims waiting to be killed.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 01:13:14 PM »
To clarify, when I said "everyone", what I meant was Obama and his ilk. That was all.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 02:17:17 PM »
I am sure there will be charities and other funding programs to try to get people to donate into that fund.

I don't think having police in schools will make the kids fearful and feel like they are in prison but I do agree it that school staff should be allowed to carry.  Not forced to but allow it.  Perhaps even some training program for teachers so that parents will feel more comfortable having their kids there knowing they had some training.  If I had a child I would want every one of his/her teachers trained and carrying :)

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 07:59:28 PM »
There are 883 school districts in Michigan.... https://www.michigan.gov/documents/numbsch_26940_7.pdf 

Lets assume the average number of buildings per district is three. (Elem, Middle, High)  So there are approximately 2,649 public school buildings in Michigan.  $45 million nets you 900 officers; 50 states into that is 18 officers for Michigan.

So what about the 2,641 other buildings?!?!??!?!?

This is a feel good, token legislating, waste of money so politicians can claim they are working to prevent mass shootings.  Disgusting.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Jeff

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 11:00:37 PM »
that is 18 officers for Michigan.

So what about the 2,641 other buildings?!?!??!?!?

This is a feel good, token legislating, waste of money so politicians can claim they are working to prevent mass shootings.  Disgusting.

Once again math has let me down by exposing the truth.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 11:53:20 AM »
I guess this goes into the "Hope" category?

Offline LD

• Legal Musings
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 08:42:21 PM »
This way they get to say they tried with guns in schools & it didn't work.
Serious understaffing and public announcement of which schools have cops will do that.

If they didn't announce where the cops were assigned &  allowed anyone that can legally carry to carry in ALL schools, I'd bet school shootings would become rare.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 08:52:22 PM »

If they didn't announce where the cops were assigned &  allowed anyone that can legally carry to carry in ALL schools, I'd bet school shootings would become rare.

This is true.  However so many people think that a firearm will sneak out at night, rob banks, mug and murder people.  Until those people get educated and stop letting themselves be brainwashed by the media it wouldn't happen.  A significant number of parents would pull their children out of school and make a huge mess of things.

Just recently on the news a school freaked out because a father picked up his child while carrying a gun.  They said if it happens again the school will go into lockdown.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 02:20:43 AM »
Pulling kids out if school. Is it just me or dies that sound like an end to the Government School system (Government indoctrination centers)?

How could this be a bad thing?
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Jeff

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 04:31:03 PM »
How else would most kids get an education if they didn't go to school, even if they get taught a few wrong things along the way?

Offline fitrah

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 10:55:03 PM »
How else would most kids get an education if they didn't go to school, even if they get taught a few wrong things along the way?

At home.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 11:09:30 PM »

At home.

With most families having both parents working there wouldn't be a lot of time to teach your children at home.  And if someone was at home all day to teach, how much are they going to be able to teach other than some basics.  It's not likely that those children will get a very good education at home.  Of course some families are equipped and able to home school effectively it wouldn't be like that for the majority.

Offline fitrah

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 11:27:59 PM »
With most families having both parents working there wouldn't be a lot of time to teach your children at home.  And if someone was at home all day to teach, how much are they going to be able to teach other than some basics.  It's not likely that those children will get a very good education at home.  Of course some families are equipped and able to home school effectively it wouldn't be like that for the majority.

Hey, its not for everyone. To you it looks impossible to home school. To me its impossible to send kids to public school.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 11:59:33 PM »
It's definitely not impossible to home school.

I just feel the majority of the parents aren't able to pull it off with their schedules and the know how.  There are definitely people out there that can do it just fine I just don't believe that there are a lot of people that would be equipped especially with a rash decision to take their child out of school that they were once going.

If you plan it out and have the means to home school then great.
I believe though that someone just yanking a child out of school, the likelihood of them being equipped for home schooling would be unlikely.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 08:48:23 PM »
Homeschooling is not a question of being equipped, it's a question of parent dedication to children.  My wife taught in a high school.  The only parents that showed up to her conferences had either special needs children or children that were already excelling.  She is now a stay-at-home mom, we are single income, because we are dedicated to our children.

We read stories with my four year old five to seven nights a week.  She must identify quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies before they go in the piggy bank.  I play Legos with my daughter and make her assemble using directions.  People can't believe she's only four years old because of how well she can read and articulate what she's thinking.

Cops in schools won't solve safety issues, just like throwing monies at education won't make smarter kids.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Jeff

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 09:22:32 PM »

Cops in schools won't solve safety issues, just like throwing monies at education won't make smarter kids.

Knowing that there are armed people in schools will lessen the chances of someone using it to go on a rampage.  The people who try to mass murder don't select pistol free zones by accident.