Author Topic: Importance of off-hand practice  (Read 3914 times)

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
Importance of off-hand practice
« on: October 08, 2013, 09:05:31 PM »
I've trained off hand. I knew it was a real possibility that my primary hand/arm would not be available in a defensive scenario.  I practiced drawing from a right handed holster using my left hand.  I've practiced shooting left handed with and without support of my right hand.

What I never practiced was drawing from a left handed holster.  I didn't even have a left handed holster until a week ago.  I had to switch to my off-hand due to a shoulder injury.  Now I'm scrambling to practice drawing with my off hand from a left handed holster.

Go buy an off hand version of your favorite holster and get some practice.  Take it from me, doing it when your shoulder is throbbing is not the best time.

Stay safe out there.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Importance of off-hand practice
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 09:36:43 PM »
Go buy an off hand version of your favorite holster and get some practice.

Way ahead of you.  I own LH and RH versions.

You should also practice one-handed reloads and one-handed malfunction clears with each hand.  One of your hands may become disabled in a fight, and you need to be able to continue the fight one-handed.

Offline Jeff

Re: Importance of off-hand practice
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 09:38:36 PM »
I don't practice drawing left handed but I can shoot just fine in either hand.  I practice both.  I don't have a left handed holster to practice drawing with, I don't think that I would ever carry on that side at least in my current state.  Trying to draw left handed in my right handed holster might be something to practice though.  It's possible someone could disable your right arm leaving you unable to get to your weapon otherwise, good advise.