Author Topic: Coleman Young Municipal Center  (Read 4740 times)

Offline fitrah

Coleman Young Municipal Center
« on: October 11, 2013, 01:18:32 PM »
Hello. I searched the forums on this and didn't see any post.

I was at the Coleman Young Municipal Center yesterday in downtown Detroit. There is a sign at the entrance listing prohibited items. Firearms is among them. They have the guards, metal detectors and all that.

How can they bar firearms given state preemption? This building has the clerks office, board meetings, ect. I'm not sure if there is a court in the building. (although, I say a court is inside the room where a judge is on the bench - not the entire building. But this is another discussion)

Also - Can I OC in Canton, MI municipal buildings? Police stations?

Thanks.

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 01:26:37 PM »
Courts can ban guns.

Municipal buildings without courts cannot.

You could try to get them to change their policy, or you could just ignore the policy.

If you are charged, there is lots of case law your lawyer would use to get the case immediately dismissed.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline fitrah

Re: Coleman Young Municipal Center
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 02:01:11 PM »
Ok. I checked, there are courts in this building (Coleman Young). So having a court on a floor of a building makes the whole building a court?

BTW - Canton, MI government office on 1150 Canton Center Rd. S Canton, MI 48188 does not have a court in this location. So you can OC at the board meeting, police station, clerks office - right?

Offline Jeff

Re: Coleman Young Municipal Center
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 03:03:56 PM »
I thought only the Court and not the entire building that the court room is in can ban guns?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 05:40:08 PM »

Courts can ban guns.

Municipal buildings without courts cannot.

You could try to get them to change their policy, or you could just ignore the policy.

If you are charged, there is lots of case law your lawyer would use to get the case immediately dismissed.

Anytime there is a court in the building, the court may make the entire building a PFZ.

As to the question about Canton, to avoid being redundant I will merely quote what I already said.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).