Author Topic: New - Start here does not mention retention  (Read 3596 times)

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
New - Start here does not mention retention
« on: October 13, 2013, 12:47:56 PM »
I suggest we add something to the new here topic about retention and situational awareness.

I did a search and the word retention in that thread is only about "pistol record retention"

Something like: "In addition to knowing the law, you should [we recommend] an active retention holster and retention training."

Here is a YouTube video explaining levels of retention
, there may be some that are better and don't use language that some consider offensive. Or just a write-up of levels of retention.

I did a search on YouTube of "firearm retention" and there are a lot of videos about retention training. While typing in that phrase it suggestion adding "same side grab" and "armbar technique". Perhaps someone is familiar with a few videos that are a good resource.

There are also a lot of videos about "situational awareness".

At the very least, some mention of retention holsters and situational awareness fit in the new here topic.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
New - Start here does not mention retention
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 01:04:57 PM »
Write a post to be added. I'll merge it.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
Re: New - Start here does not mention retention
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 06:44:57 PM »
Tom Gresham's Guntalk has an excellent series - First Person Defender.  Situational awareness is one of its primary themes.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLscB-49EdZcuKOrDogPOGkeTde5OqGTT3

Offline sircapsalot

• Land of the FREE
  • First Name (Displayed): Dj
Re: New - Start here does not mention retention
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 11:25:51 AM »
I can tell you first hand.. I would carry with a friction holster, and my situational awareness would be to the point of paranoid.  I was constantly aware of everything around me, which made it very difficult for me to find anything else enjoyable.  Now that I have my ALS Level II, I've never had so much fun OC'ing.  Knowing that nobody can just take it from me (easily anyway), it really takes off that anvil that was on my back.