Author Topic: Storing firearm in vehicle at work  (Read 8333 times)

Offline Rustykeys

Storing firearm in vehicle at work
« on: October 20, 2013, 09:40:31 AM »
Quick question. Girlfriend is a nurse at an assisted living facility. 6 months ago she has obtained her cpl. One of the owners of the facility was taking his course at the same time she was. Their are no signs posted at the facility so visitors are welcome to carry. Mind you, she is not interested in carrying while at work however, since she has to travel 20 miles to work and sometimes at night she carries until she arrives then stores it in her vehicle. She has been told that she is not allowed to even have it on the premises while on the time clock. Question, can they restrict her from even carrying during her commute? I told her, I would rather lose my job then lose my life somewhere along the highway if the car should ever break down and you don't have protection. Thank you in advance for your replies.
“We must hang together, gentlemen…else, we shall most assuredly hang separately.”

– Benjamin Franklin

A right not exercised is a right lost.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
Re: Storing firearm in vehicle at work
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 10:16:25 AM »
what they don't know..
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline Jeff

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 11:50:35 AM »
what they don't know..

Exactly.  Businesses can typically fire people over anything.  My friends is so anti that they wouldn't have even hired him if they knew he owned a gun.  But that is none of their business so just don't tell them.  I would keep it in my vehicle and just not tell them about it.  They can find out about it if it was ever needed in self defense. :)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 01:15:32 PM »
She has been told that she is not allowed to even have it on the premises while on the time clock.

Sounds like an odd prohibition.  Her employee handbook would most likely state that she is not allowed to have a weapon on the premises, period.  Does she park in an employer-owned lot?

To answer your question, an employer can't regulate her commute on her own time.  If she is driving a company car, etc. they can regulate that.

Offline Rustykeys

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 01:41:24 PM »
Yes she parks in employer owned lot. It's rather secluded and dark. She drives personal car and that's what I told her, they can't regulate your drive to work. She drives highway at times then other times country roads, either way its a twenty mile drive to work. She should be protected if her car breaks down. I told her to keep her mouth shut and keep it locked in vehicle.
“We must hang together, gentlemen…else, we shall most assuredly hang separately.”

– Benjamin Franklin

A right not exercised is a right lost.

doesch

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 02:17:22 PM »
RK sounds like you have a decent idea, I hope she finds a good balance that does not jeopardize her job & gives her maximum safety.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 02:26:06 PM by doesch »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 02:41:40 PM »
Don't tell, don't say anything.  Don't even talk guns at work.  If someone gets angry at her, all they have to do is say, "So and so has a gun in her car" and if security checks (often permitted in the employee rules) she'll get busted and might lose her job.

This happened to a friend of mine.  Someone apparently didn't like him and so told security he carried guns in his car.  They brought him into the office with his boss, security, and I think a union rep.  They told him that someone had turned him in, and although they had no issues with him, they were obligated to check it out, so asked him if he minded if they checked his car.  He agreed and they found nothing.  But apparently some guy wanted him fired and knew he was a big gun guy and also an NRA CPL instructor, so probably figured they could get him fired for carrying weapons on company property.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 07:09:50 PM »
THIS!! I worked with a guy years ago that had a worse experience. This guy stepped on someones toes in leadership and they wanted to do him a dirty. He had NRA stickers on his bumper etc... They got a mole to buddy up to him and find out about his firearms. Turns out he has a nice AR15. So they have the mole make him a crazy high offer. Of course he accepts and you guessed it - mole insists they must do the deal early in the parking lot before work. Needless to say guy shows up, police swarm him guns drawn, impound his vehicle and tear it apart. Why? The mole said he thought the owner said these guns can be modified to full auto. They found a semi auto AR properly stowed, but they (LE) used the false tip to destroy his car looking for a hidden modified upper... he lost his job, a lot of time and money too.

Work is a four letter word for a reason, don't tell anyone anything they can put a sharp point on & break it off in your a$$.
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 08:46:25 PM »
State law trumps.  My large employer is anti anti firearms.  Guy in my CPL course was FIRED from the same employer because someone saw a rifle round on his floor mat (it dropped out when he pulled out his range bag.

If your girlfriend wants to carry in her car, then she does it quietly and never ever tells ANYONE, not even her best friend, not even her boyfriend.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »
Anything you say, can and will be used against you....In EVERYTHING.

Offline brently22

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 12:37:57 PM »
I agree that she has the legal right to possess a firearm while on the premises and defend herself while on her drive , however, in terms of her job, it all depends on what her employee handbook says!  My employer (whom I do not wish to mention by name) prohibits all employees, contractors and visitors (except LEOs) to possess a firearm or weapon of any type, on any company grounds (including parking lots) or while conducting company business elsewhere, regardless of whether you have a CPL or not, punishable up to and including termination of employment.  Another stipulation in the handbook gives the company the right to search my person, my company locker, and my personal vehicle at any time, for any reason, with random surprise searches as well. 

Legally, it would only constitute trespassing for carrying in a gun-free zone if you were to refuse to vacate the privately-owned premises.  However, I am also legally bound to the rules listed in the employee handbook, which I was required to sign as verification that I have read, understand, and agree to all company policies.  In order to gain employment with them, I have signed away my otherwise legal rights.  Therefore, my employer would be fully within their rights to terminate anyone's employment at any time if they were to search their vehicle and find a legally concealed pistol (or other weapon, pocket knives over 3", pepper spray, etc.). 

As other members have mentioned, it is up to you to put a value on your protection versus your job, based on the regulations set forth in the employee handbook, and that all it would take is a disgruntled coworker that has knowledge of your firearms and/or CPL to make a 'good faith' complaint to management that they have reason to believe that you may be carrying at work, possibly against policy.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 12:55:28 PM »
And what if you kept a gun safe mounted in your vehicle and "didn't have the key" and "it's new and the code isn't working" :D

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 05:59:46 PM »
That safe was attached to the seat when I bought the car.... Never hurt anything so I just left it.  Who knows what is inside.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 12:32:28 PM »
if she parks her car in a employer owned lot im fairly sure she has to follow their rules. my friend was in this situation. he decided what they dont know wont hurt them. luckily my firm does not have those rules and allows employees to CC. havent been able to persuade them to let us OC :( too many clients walking through the office

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 03:42:47 PM »
HB 4027 gives Michigan workers the right to store a firearm in their car on private property, i.e. their employer’s parking lot or garage. This bill has only been introduced in the House and doesn't seem to have gone anywhere yet.  :(

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2013-HB-4027

Contact its sponsors Reps. Haines, Haugh, Franz, Bumstead, Rendon, Kowall and Farrington and members of the Committee on Judiciary to get it moving.  And contact YOUR representatives to support this bill!

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 04:12:11 PM »
HB 4027 gives Michigan workers the right to store a firearm in their car on private property, i.e. their employer’s parking lot or garage. This bill has only been introduced in the House and doesn't seem to have gone anywhere yet.  :(

Contact its sponsors Reps. Haines, Haugh, Franz, Bumstead, Rendon, Kowall and Farrington and members of the Committee on Judiciary to get it moving.  And contact YOUR representatives to support this bill!

contacted.

Offline showpare

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 09:15:47 PM »

Thanks for this info.  Supporting them and contacting my Rep now!