Author Topic: Persistent Police in Wixom, MI  (Read 17935 times)

Offline hells.saints

• First Name (Displayed): James
Persistent Police in Wixom, MI
« on: October 21, 2013, 01:09:14 AM »
Please subscribe if you enjoy my fight for our rights.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
Re: Persistent Police in Wixom, MI
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 08:17:51 AM »
Proof that your 21? You don't need to be 21 to OC in public.

I am of the opinion that the officer knows the law, which begs the question of why he was so persistent. At this point WALK AWAY. They are not "discussing" with you, they are searching and prodding. 

As tempting as it may be, DO NOT ARGUE WITH THE POLICE. It is not going to help you. If you wish to educate, get the officer's information and mail a letter in later (anonymously).

Offline Jeff

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 12:40:26 PM »
lol at the guy that shows up

Offline METL

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 03:02:50 PM »
Good calm OC stop.     He shouldn't have spent so much time chatting with the officers.   "I just need to ask you a few questions"....    response should have been "am I being detained?"    "No just want to ask questions"  "no thanks"   *keeps walking.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 03:30:28 PM »
Good calm OC stop.     He shouldn't have spent so much time chatting with the officers.   "I just need to ask you a few questions"....    response should have been "am I being detained?"    "No just want to ask questions"  "no thanks"   *keeps walking.

Yep. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 07:23:17 PM »
The cop said he was not detained right off the bat.

Just say," Thanks, have a nice day", and that's it.

He did engage the officer and brought the delay on himself. He did mostly "stuck to his guns" and not give out any information, other than first name, age, and waiting on a CPL, and the cops figured out he was going to keep repeating himself, so eventually, the cops got tired and ended it for him.

I think this should have been over in the first few seconds of video, and not drag out over seven minutes.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline ken243

• MOC Member
  • Paramedic
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 08:50:59 PM »
The cop said he was not detained right off the bat.

Just say," Thanks, have a nice day", and that's it.

He did engage the officer and brought the delay on himself. He did mostly "stuck to his guns" and not give out any information, other than first name, age, and waiting on a CPL, and the cops figured out he was going to keep repeating himself, so eventually, the cops got tired and ended it for him.

I think this should have been over in the first few seconds of video, and not drag out over seven minutes.
+1
Common sense, isn't.
I can't fix stupid.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 10:47:04 PM »
"I don't want to answer any questions. But, blah, blah, blah, blah."

If you're not being detained, move along.

If you don't want to answer any questions, shut up.

I think this performance was strictly for the camera.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Shadow Bear

• Dark Lord of the Internet
  • MOC Member
  • Human Rights Activist
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 08:21:04 PM »
"I don't want to answer any questions. But, blah, blah, blah, blah."

If you're not being detained, move along.

If you don't want to answer any questions, shut up.

I think this performance was strictly for the camera.

Yeah, what he said.
Its not GUN rights, its HUMAN rights.

Offline hells.saints

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 11:26:18 AM »
How do I educate the police on open carry laws that they clearly aren't familiar with if I don't stay to talk? The best part about all that is that the officers didnt know they were being filmed, so it keeps them honest.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 11:36:17 AM »
Great question. I would suggest asking for their card and then sending them an email or anonymous letter the next day. You could also write to the chief and ask him to ensure that his officers know the law (MSP 86) if you do not get the contact info for the particular officers.

Sending an email will help to create a "paper" trail that they have been warned/informed. Many officers are just trying to do the right thing and may not know the most effective way to do so with our crowd. IE, a crowd that often knows and will not relinquish our rights.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 12:47:23 PM »
Didn't know you were stealthily recording them.  What'd you use?

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 05:13:16 PM »
I agree with bigt. The leo was not interested in being educated by you. He wanted no part of the information you attempted to give him. In fact I heard him say that hhe knew the law. From that video, it appears that the only thing you accomplishedwas making a clandestine recording with you new device. I have to say it functioned well.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 10:40:03 AM »
im interested in what you used to record as well...
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline kryptonian

• First Name (Displayed): dave
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 09:33:37 PM »
I've dealt with Wixom police before OC and not had a problem. was not even approached. I might even have been the guy at Kroger but im no where near 21. maybe it was your age or demeanor. it seems like a baiter situation. handled ok in my opinion. the officer used the usual soft sell techniques and the dilemma implying he had to make an arrest decision but he stood his ground.
the camera was kind of high or maybe the subject was just tall. might not have been stealth or was a sport mounted cam. be interested to know what it was. good encounter sir.
i don't fear the barking dog...i'm scared of the quiet dog

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 09:40:05 PM »
I've dealt with Wixom police before OC and not had a problem. was not even approached. I might even have been the guy at Kroger but im no where near 21. maybe it was your age or demeanor. it seems like a baiter situation. handled ok in my opinion. the officer used the usual soft sell techniques and the dilemma implying he had to make an arrest decision but he stood his ground.
the camera was kind of high or maybe the subject was just tall. might not have been stealth or was a sport mounted cam. be interested to know what it was. good encounter sir.
You think so?!?!?

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
Persistent Police in Wixom, MI
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 06:07:20 PM »
Some of us don't get bothered in our local areas because the Leo's know we are a hard bite to swallow. They want nothing to do with us. Others who don't have said reputation are easier targets.

Stay informed about MOC events in your area http://miopencarry.org/updates
Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline hells.saints

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 11:59:52 AM »
Sunglasses with a camera in the bridge. When I saw them coming down the road, I turned them on.

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 02:47:34 PM »
Sunglasses with a camera in the bridge. When I saw them coming down the road, I turned them on.
I want to know more about those glasses. Maybe like make and model. How is the battery life on them. The picture quality seems pretty good and audio quality wasnt to bad either. Have you recorded any other videos with them?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 05:01:12 PM »
That's a new one to me, too.  Nice.