Author Topic: Verifying pistol is registered properly...  (Read 3529 times)

Offline jfmi87

Verifying pistol is registered properly...
« on: October 31, 2013, 11:05:12 AM »
Per 28.422a, I went to the sheriff's office, after fulfilling my end I wanted to make sure everyone else is doing their job, because I'm not taking the fall if for whatever reason my serials get ran and it comes up empty. I sent the MSP copy, certified mail, to the sheriff's office as instructed.

The clerk at the sheriff's office said she could not, or perhaps did not want to, look up the information citing that the MSP 'gives us no verification'. I find it hard to believe that they cannot look it up from their systems. So I guess I am to trust that everything is as it should be?

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Verifying pistol is registered properly...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 11:44:54 AM »
If you've done your part, you are legal.  You are not responsible for mistakes law enforcement may make.  You are required to keep your copy of the RI-60 for thirty days, after that you can toss it.  If you are paranoid/worried I suppose you can file it and keep it forever.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 11:58:26 AM »
If you are paranoid/worried I suppose you can file it and keep it forever.

Just because I have a 3 foot filing cabinet filled with them, and photos of them all individually on my computer.  And burned onto a DVD, and on a backup drive,  And on a thumb drive I keep in a lock box at the bank, and on another 2 thumb drives I have hidden in my house and grandparents house, and on my keychain.  DOES NOT make me paranoid!!

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 04:29:13 PM »
They can give you a list of firearm currently registered to you, but most departments don't know how, thus they require some hand holding. What's new? There was a thread on MGO about this a little while back. I'll see if I can find it.

Offline jfmi87

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 12:23:14 AM »
I have to do a 'public query' but first getting any local PD to understand just exactly what and how to do that.

I guess you can call me paranoid, Michigan chose to register pistols and I am holding them accountable for doing their end. The local/state governments think they are infallible and time and time again make mistakes but do not apologize or admit fault after putting good people in jail. Remember the guy arrested for allegedly having a fake CPL, but it turned out the county neglected to enter his info into LEIN?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 12:38:30 AM by jfmi87 »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 12:50:27 AM »
Remember the guy arrested for allegedly having a fake CPL, but it turned out the county neglected to enter his info into LEIN?

No, I hadn't heard about this.  Do you have any more info, thread link, etc?

Offline autosurgeon

• MOC Treasurer
  • MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Ryan
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 01:01:18 AM »
I remember that happened in Wayne county if my memory serves.

Sent from my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 11:04:57 AM »
If you live near Allen Park stop in and see Penny in the records dept she knows how to do a public query. If not local maybe your clerk can call her to ask how to do the search.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 12:42:31 PM »
I'm kind of curious about this as well. I'm building an ar15 pistol, so I needed to have the lower transferred as a pistol. So I was the seller and the buyer. When dropping it off the clerk looked at it and was confused so she called an officer over...  I explained to him what was going on, but he wasn't sure it was right because it hasn't been built yet so there is no overall length no model and caliber is a multi cal. He left a note on it and said I might get a call. If I don't get a call can I assume all is well?  I just don't want to have the evil black weapon in my truck and get stopped only to find out there was a disconnect somewhere. Also, the parts to finish it will be here next week so technically I will be in possession of a pistol at that point right?
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive