Author Topic: confused about registering pistol  (Read 7810 times)

Offline 32_d3gr33s

• First Name (Displayed): Anthony
confused about registering pistol
« on: October 23, 2013, 12:23:36 AM »
I plan on purchasing a rifle. The stock that i want to put on the rifle puts the overall length between 26 & 27 inches.  Now, i read that a rifle under 30 inches but greater than 26 inches (with a barrel of at least 16 inches) needs to be registered as a pistol.  I wasnt sure how to go about doing that... 

Am i right that i need to do that? How do i do it? 

Can someone help me out please?  Thanks
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

I shoot first... its better to give than to receive

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
confused about registering pistol
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 12:49:03 AM »
That requirement ended in January 1, 2013. "MI Pistols" no longer exist unless they are grandfathered in. Anyone who owns one now can keep it registered and carry it as a pistol. New MI pistols cannot be registered. When the current owner sells it, it's no longer a pistol...

/thread.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline 32_d3gr33s

Re: confused about registering pistol
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 11:42:08 AM »
Ok. I did read something about that.  So does that mean rifles are now legal if 26 in or longer, or considered sbr if shorter than 26? 
I could write something cliché and insightful, but that would be too cliché and insightful.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 12:01:03 PM »
Ok. I did read something about that.  So does that mean rifles are now legal if 26 in or longer, or considered sbr if shorter than 26? 

Yes and yes.

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 12:22:18 PM »
awesome!  Thanks for the help!

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 01:25:06 PM »
I plan on purchasing a rifle. The stock that i want to put on the rifle puts the overall length between 26 & 27 inches.  Now, i read that a rifle under 30 inches but greater than 26 inches (with a barrel of at least 16 inches) needs to be registered as a pistol.  I wasnt sure how to go about doing that... 

Am i right that i need to do that? How do i do it? 

Can someone help me out please?  Thanks
Wait.. If your making it shorter but still longer than 26" that's fine don't register.

Was it shorter than 26"and registered? If it was you can't make it longer (federal law).  If so you need to Keep it short and register it.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline 32_d3gr33s

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 11:43:35 AM »
Wait.. If your making it shorter but still longer than 26" that's fine don't register.

Was it shorter than 26"and registered? If it was you can't make it longer (federal law).  If so you need to Keep it short and register it.

its over 30 inches right now, but will be 26.5ish when done.  I didnt realize that the law changed the 1st of this year in regards to 26-30" long rifles no longer needing to be registered as pistols...  Talked to a guy a couple days ago, saying that him and his friend both bought the same colt? (i think) AR's. (under 30" long)  Guys buddy bought his end of december, and registered as pistol.  Guy i talked to bought his 2nd week of january.  Same guns, both guys have cpl's.  Both guys can carry 1st guys "pistol" ar up front in their car etc etc...  but second guy's ar needs to be locked in trunk...  same exact gun purchased 3 weeks apart, have to handled completely different... 

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 11:58:39 AM »
its over 30 inches right now, but will be 26.5ish when done.  I didnt realize that the law changed the 1st of this year in regards to 26-30" long rifles no longer needing to be registered as pistols...  Talked to a guy a couple days ago, saying that him and his friend both bought the same colt? (i think) AR's. (under 30" long)  Guys buddy bought his end of december, and registered as pistol.  Guy i talked to bought his 2nd week of january.  Same guns, both guys have cpl's.  Both guys can carry 1st guys "pistol" ar up front in their car etc etc...  but second guy's ar needs to be locked in trunk...  same exact gun purchased 3 weeks apart, have to handled completely different... 

Thank Mike Green, MCRGO, MGO and the rest of the anti gun people in MI for that one.
Magically another change made not needing a purchase permit to buy from a dealer appeared a short time after they did away with the MI pistols, but most people are just to stupid to see that.

Offline WilDChilD

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »
Thank Mike Green, MCRGO, MGO and the rest of the anti gun people in MI for that one.
Man, your still upset over that? I think your anger is misguided. Be mad about laws that infringe upon your rights (like not being able to carry a rifle concealed) not laws that make our state laws less confusing.

Edited to what I should have said.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:34:29 PM by WilDChilD »

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 04:59:48 PM »
Be mad about laws that infringe upon your rights (like not being able to carry a rifle)

Since when can't we carry a rifle? 

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 05:05:23 PM »
Be mad about laws that infringe upon your rights (like not being able to carry a rifle not having constitutional carry)

Fixed that for you
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
Re: Re: confused about registering pistol
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 05:43:45 AM »
Man, your still upset over that? I think your anger is misguided. Be mad about laws that infringe upon your rights (like not being able to carry a rifle) not laws that make our state laws less confusing.
If by less confusing you mean we lost the ability to buy a new gun and carry it you are correct. Just more double talk about losing the ability to defend yourself.
You could also say 300k people didn't gain a damn thing to be less confused about.
Do you actually believe things are better now?

Offline WilDChilD

Re: Re: confused about registering pistol
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 07:37:30 PM »
If by less confusing you mean we lost the ability to buy a new gun and carry it you are correct. Just more double talk about losing the ability to defend yourself.
You could also say 300k people didn't gain a damn thing to be less confused about.
Do you actually believe things are better now?
Then be mad about the law that make carry a concealed rifle illegal. Not the law that was meant to correct a law.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 04:43:19 AM »
Makes sense to somebody I guess. Let me see if I can sum up what you are saying; be mad about something that happened before I had the ability to carry and disregard something that cancelled my ability to carry after I was allowed to carry?

Sorry but that sounds silly to me.

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 12:42:20 PM »
Makes sense to somebody I guess. Let me see if I can sum up what you are saying; be mad about something that happened before I had the ability to carry and disregard something that cancelled my ability to carry after I was allowed to carry?

Sorry but that sounds silly to me.

you are not mentioning the good that came out of it. can you carry a new "mi pistol" now, no, so we lost that. but, now you can buy them without a PP, and you do not have to register them. they can also be purchased by 18-20 year olds now.

some people will value the ability to carry them more(like you), some people will value the ability to buy one without obtaining a PP and not have to let the .gov know they have it. just b/c the carry element was more important to you does not mean it was to everyone.

your anger would be better directed towards helping get a bill passed to allow long gun(car) carry.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 05:01:45 PM »
AYE, we're all on the same side here.

Don't make me take my belt off  >:(

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 06:28:27 PM »
This thread has long since departed from the OP, whose question was answered long ago.

Others wishing to engage in other lines of talk can hit the new thread button.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).