Author Topic: California police shoot and kill boy carrying replica of assault rifle  (Read 5563 times)

Offline Jeff

Re: California police shoot and kill boy carrying replica of assault rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 03:09:20 PM »
The muzzle was raised towards the deputies huh.  Too bad there aren't any witnesses to verify that so we know if that's the truth or not.

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 04:54:22 PM »
From the pictures, it looks like a real gun. Yesterday I read it was a replica, today, more information indicates it is a pellet gun modeled on an AK.

Questions:

Did the LEOs ID themselves?

• Did the LEOs use the lights and sirens?
  • Did the LEOs verbally call out?
It says he turned around.

• Did he "freeze" like a deer in the headlights and not drop the gun?
  • Did he not have training in the safe handling of firearms and sweep the LEOs?

Very sad.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 05:07:21 PM »
Yesterday I read it was a replica, today, more information indicates it is a pellet gun modeled on an AK.

The first story I read on this the other day stated it was an Airsoft.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 06:00:34 AM »
I would ask 1. were the officers in range to use less than lethal force, i.e. pepper spray or taser. 2. was there any verification that they told the youth to drop the "rifle" 3. was the youth actually holding the rifle in a "firing" position or did it just happen to point at them due to the way it was slung/carried.

On the surface, I may tend to support he officers depending on the answers to the above questions. Now obviously if this were a civilian, not a LEO involved in this shooting, there would be an arrest, but since it was LEO's, the there won't be any. I know many (including me at times) think the police use excessive/ unwarranted force but at the same time as a prior security officer I have been in situations where I had to determine a possible threat on very little visual information as well. Thankfully for me, I never had to fire in self defense, but I have had to present on at least 2 occasions.

This case does have a bit of a fishy odor about it, but based on the facts presented, I would tend to side with the police on this one. Let the BBQ of me begin because I don't automatically find the blame on the police.   
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 07:36:45 AM »
Now obviously if this were a civilian, not a LEO involved in this shooting, there would be an arrest, but since it was LEO's, the there won't be any.

And that, my friend, is the problem.

There should be absolutely NO double standard when it comes to this sort of thing.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
California police shoot and kill boy carrying replica of assault rifle
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 02:56:49 PM »
There was a woman last year in Detroit who was "dancing" up against an officer at his birthdayparty. His smith and Wesson M and P somehow magically went off even though it was in a holster and stuck a bullet in her chest. Nothing ever came from that case.

If they happen to you and me, it would be manslaughter.
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
There was a woman last year in Detroit who was "dancing" up against an officer at his birthdayparty. His smith and Wesson M and P somehow magically went off even though it was in a holster and stuck a bullet in her chest. Nothing ever came from that case.

If they happen to you and me, it would be manslaughter.

This is because you and I / US aren't part of the "get out of jail free & collect $200 as you pass go club". The law applies to everyone....except...politicians, police & the very rich/famous. Or put another way - "  Do as we say, not as we do!" Not right or fair, just the way it is ....   :(
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:37:35 AM by Glock9mmOldStyle »
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 10:22:33 AM »
There was a woman last year in Detroit who was "dancing" twerking up against an officer at his birthdayparty.

fify

jPhYRtK0fBU

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 02:03:20 PM »
The young girl in Detroit that was killed when the storm troopers entered her apartment 2 years ago and killed her is still dead, the DPD goon is still on paid vacation. The guy they were looking for was in the neighboring apartment.

Offline METL

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 01:51:53 PM »
From the reports I'm hearing, it was less than 10 seconds from the cops "calling in a suspicious person" to the shooting.  They pretty much got out, yelled at him, shot him.

Why did one cop fire 8 rounds, and the other not fire at all?  Seems to throw a wrench in the "we had to fire" story.