Author Topic: Looking for 9mm Hydra-Shok 124gr +P+  (Read 32828 times)

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
Looking for 9mm Hydra-Shok 124gr +P+
« on: October 26, 2013, 06:05:07 PM »
I shoot the Federal Hydra-Shok 9mm 124gr +P+ out of my Glock 26. I'm looking specifically for P9HS3G1.  The only rounds I have left are what I carry on me.

The standard pressure rounds are readily available at 1000 fps.  The +P+ are 1170fps.  Of course, both are traveling slower out of the 3.5" barrel.

If anyone has some they are willing to sell or knows anywhere that has them in stock, let me know.  I am not a LEO, there are some websites that will only sell that load to LEOs.  I'm in the Lansing area.

TIA.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Re: Looking for 9mm Hydra-Shok 124gr +P+
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 06:47:54 PM »
I switched from Hydra-Shok to HST several years ago as I think it is better.

And you can get 9mm 124gr. HST @ 1200 FPS, 396 ft lbs.  Part number P9HST3.  Anyone will sell it, if you can find it in stock.  AmmunitionToGo, SGAmmo, TDS-US, Ammunitiondepot, whoever.  Have you considered shooting standard pressure loads?  ;D  Or heavier loads? 

Winchester Ranger T-Series stuff (RA9TA, etc.) is also good.

I don't shoot 9mm so I'm not up on all the different 9mm loads, but I will probably be getting my wife an M&P 9mm so I will buy her HST when I do.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:55:55 PM by gryphon »

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 08:16:54 PM »
I switched from Hydra-Shok to HST several years ago as I think it is better.

And you can get 9mm 124gr. HST @ 1200 FPS, 396 ft lbs.  Part number P9HST3.  Anyone will sell it, if you can find it in stock.  AmmunitionToGo, SGAmmo, TDS-US, Ammunitiondepot, whoever.  Have you considered shooting standard pressure loads?  ;D  Or heavier loads? 

Winchester Ranger T-Series stuff (RA9TA, etc.) is also good.

I don't shoot 9mm so I'm not up on all the different 9mm loads, but I will probably be getting my wife an M&P 9mm so I will buy her HST when I do.

I found some chrono data for ammo out of the 3.5" barrel.  You loose anywhere from 5% to 20% velocity, depending on the load.  IIRC, ammo is rated using a 5" barrel.

I shoot 147gr in my Glock 17.  Longer barrel to get a heavier projectile up to speed.

I'll see if I can find some expansion tests for the HST and compare.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 09:04:11 PM »
Here's some HST (top) and Ranger (below) caliber comparisons.

HST

Ranger

Manuf. comparison.

And here's a LEO chart you might be interested in showing HST expansion in various media.  Testing of P9HST3 was 1260 FPS.  Bullet expands equally for all loadings, but oddly enough the faster round seems to penetrate less. 

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Federal-Premium-Tactical-HST-Ammo-Comparison.jpg <- link
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 09:12:55 PM by gryphon »

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 09:08:50 PM »
I have #7 in my gun right now and more in the ammo case.  I also have some boxes of #9 and #10.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 09:31:53 PM »
I don't know exactly what the heck I have in my gun for defensive rounds.  When I bought my gun they recommended a certain defensive round to me.  It is just a white box, Federal 147 grain JHP.  I couldn't find out exactly what it was and thought it was the hydra shock.  I just found out yesterday that it isn't the hydra shock.  So I have some ammo that I don't have the slightest clue what it is.  The guy at my gun shop (not the place I bought the ammo from) wasn't sure what it was so ???

Until yesterday I was fine with having hydra shocks, but now that I don't know what it is I am probably going to get a different ammo.  I suppose I could take a picture and maybe someone might know what it is by look.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 09:45:35 PM »
Hydra-Shoks are easy to determine.  They have a center post and are loaded in shiny nickel-plated cases.  If it's a plain white box, they probably sold you just some generic re-manufactured hollow-point ammo.  Expansion diameter and reliability will be unknown.  But you said your box said Federal on it, so I don't know what that would be.  It should have all sorts of writing if it's really Federal self defense ammo.

Hydra-Shoks were developed to meet certain FBI requirements, but in practice they didn't work as good as on paper.  What they thought would be good turned out to be some drawbacks in the bullet design.  The center post has been redesigned.  I believe it is softer now.  Its purpose was to aid in expansion, but in practice it can aid the bullet in getting clogged up with clothing and then the bullet will act like a round nose and not expand or not expand as well.  There's lots of writing on this.  You can read reams of ammo testing stuff on the interwebz.

It's still a decent round and accurate, but it is an old design that has been surpassed today.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 10:19:53 PM by gryphon »

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 01:28:36 AM »
Bullet expands equally for all loadings, but oddly enough the faster round seems to penetrate less. 

Momentum = mass x velocity.  With expansion being equal, the energy (momentum) is being transferred from the bullet to the target at a greater rate.  The faster the transfer, the faster the bullet slows, the less it penetrates.  How quickly a bullet begins to expand and how long it takes to reach full expansion also affects penetration.

I look at permanent wound cavity during expansion over penetration.  That's where most of the energy is transferred.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 12:05:29 PM »
I actually found what it is that I have.  It is Federal Hi-Shok, I guess the older model of the Hydra Shock.

http://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-147-grain-jhp-federal-9ms-50-rounds

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 09:35:51 PM »
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 10:19:47 PM »
ammoseek and gunbot are what I used a few times to find ammo or check prices. 

Offline Jeff

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 01:43:31 AM »
Try this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=P9HS3G1+for+sale

Cool, I wasn't aware that people still did that these days.

Offline bigt8261

• MOC President
  • MOC Board Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 08:10:28 AM »
I love to use it when anti's ask stupid questions in comment sections.

Great stuff so far. I need to get more SD ammo and I was thinking of dropping what I'm currently shooting.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 05:05:29 PM »
Try this:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=P9HS3G1+for+sale

First two results are out of stock, third requires LEO, followed by lots of forum discussion.  Second page has a few stores, also out of stock....

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 07:48:37 PM »
Ammoseek came up empty too when searching for P9HS3G1 so I guess no one has it.  There were lots of other 124 and 147 hydra-shok varieties available though.

Offline Super Trucker

• MOC Member
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 11:54:33 AM »
I wonder why the Ranger pics in reply 3 look so different from the Black Talon pics from the mid 90's? The pics of the Black Talon back then resembled the HST pics in the same post, a star like shape.

A quick search for "win ranger T pics" shows the star like shape in the pics.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 09:18:02 PM »
This thread needed some follow-up!

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 12:57:00 AM »
147 gr HST has been my standard carry ammo in all met 9mm for several years.   I just bought some 124 gr +P for my Sig 938 but after watching this test I could have just kept using the 146 gr. 

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 08:52:51 PM »
UPDATE FOR JEFF!

Ammo Quest 9mm: Federal Hi-Shok 115gr test

Offline Jeff

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 01:47:17 AM »
Mine is 147 grain, from what I understand, they never open up and are basically FMJ lol.

I am just glad that I replaced them.