Author Topic: Gonzaga Students Face Expulsion For Pulling Gun On Home Intruder  (Read 3440 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Gonzaga Students Face Expulsion For Pulling Gun On Home Intruder
« on: November 09, 2013, 10:56:57 PM »

Two Gonzaga University seniors are on the verge of being expelled after using a gun to defend themselves from a career criminal trying to break into their apartment.

Erik Fagan and Dan McIntosh, who both live off-campus near the school’s Spokane, OR., campus, were accosted last month by a man demanding money while standing in the door of their apartment.

Mr Fagan offered food and a blanket, but declined to give ex-con John Taylor any money, he told KHQ. Mr Taylor then tried to fight his way into the apartment but was scared off by Mr McIntosh’s hand gun.

Explaining that he only opened the door because he thought it was a friend who had left only a few minutes prior, Mr Fagan told the station ‘[Mr Taylor] just asked me for money.’

‘He just said I’m homeless, I’m looking for some money, can you help me out,’ Mr Fagan recalled.

Angered by not getting any money, Mr Taylor then tried pushing his way inside while telling the roommates he was just out of prison, but Mr McIntosh had other plans.

‘I drew on Mr Taylor and Mr Taylor fled immediately,’ he further recalled to the station.

Career criminal: John Taylor has a long rap sheet with seven prior convictions

Though the gun may have saved both men’s lives, it may have ended their academic careers at Gonzaga.

‘The university’s weapons policy forbids the possession of weapons… in both on-campus and off-campus housing,’ a spokesperson told the station.

Mr Taylor had six prior convictions on his criminal record, and was arrested later that night on an unrelated charge, according to the station.

But that did not stop Gonzaga’s board from going forward Friday with the process necessary to expel the two students from the school.

Despite a likely expulsion being handed down as soon as this week, Mr McIntosh told the station he would do it again without hesitation.

‘My roommate’s life, my life, anybody’s life is worth an expulsion in my book,’ he said.

When asked by the station how students are expected to defend themselves in the face of such a restriction, the school claimed campus security ‘is all over campus.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2496113/Gonzaga-University-students-face-expulsion-school-pulling-gun-home-intruder.html

SPOKANE, Wash. - Two Gonzaga students are facing possible expulsion from the University after they pulled a weapon in self defense as a six time felon attempted to get into their on campus apartment. According to the student handbook, students may not possess handguns on campus or university owned property.

On Friday a university discipline board decided to move forward with sanctions, including possible expulsion, for using the weapons. The students will learn in the near future about their future with the school. It all happened late in the night on October 24th when roommates Erik Fagan and Dan McIntosh were hanging out in their university owned apartment.

At 10:15 Fagan answered the door and was greeted by John Taylor. Taylor is a felon with an extensive criminal history and when he arrived Fagan said Taylor showed him what appeared to be an ankle bracelet as he tried to intimidate him. Fagan said Taylor then demanded money and was frustrated when he was turned down.

Taylor then attempted to force entry into the apartment. At that point McIntosh brandished his pistol. McIntosh has a concealed weapons permit for the gun and did not know it was in violation of policy at the time. Once Taylor saw the gun he left the property. McIntosh said Spokane Police took Taylor into custody after their report because he was wanted on a Department of Corrections warrant.

http://www.khq.com/story/23919881/gonzaga-students-face-possible-expulsion-after-pulling-gun-on-home-intruder

+++++

So is it on campus or off campus?  And yeah, security is really going to help them when the intruder is already inside the apartment.  Idiots.

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: Gonzaga Students Face Expulsion For Pulling Gun On Home Intruder
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 05:25:32 AM »
Another example of retardation on the part of college officials. Most campus security is unarmed anyways. So even if they got to the crime scene what would they do? "Shoot mean looks at bad guys." Or if they are lucky, they may get off a taser shot or a pepper spray blast before a bad guy kills them too. Yeah that makes sense. ::)
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline Jeff

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 12:58:18 PM »
How do people with such warped perspectives get into places of power so easily?

Guys, I am going to half drown myself, bang my head against the wall for 3 hours, then run for senate, I think I will then have a good chance of winning.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 03:43:27 PM »
Okay, apparently it is an off-campus apartment that is owned by the university system.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/09/us/gonzaga-guns/index.html