Author Topic: Last Lead Smelter to Close in December Due to EPA, Might Affect Ammo Production  (Read 3832 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
This means the US will lose its capability to produce lead ammo completely within its borders from the process of mining to production of commercial cartridges.

In December, the final primary lead smelter in the United States will close. The lead smelter, located in Herculaneum, Missouri, and owned and operated by the Doe Run Company, has existed in the same location since 1892.

The Herculaneum smelter is currently the only smelter in the United States which can produce lead bullion from raw lead ore that is mined nearby in Missouri’s extensive lead deposits, giving the smelter its “primary” designation. The lead bullion produced in Herculaneum is then sold to lead product producers, including ammunition manufactures for use in conventional ammunition components such as projectiles, projectile cores, and primers. Several “secondary” smelters, where lead is recycled from products such as lead acid batteries or spent ammunition components, still operate in the United States.

Doe Run made significant efforts to reduce lead emissions from the smelter, but in 2008 the federal Environmental Protection Agency issued new National Ambient Air Quality Standards for lead that were 10 times tighter than the previous standard. Given the new lead air quality standard, Doe Run made the decision to close the Herculaneum smelter.

Whatever the EPA’s motivation when creating the new lead air quality standard, increasingly restrictive regulation of lead is likely to affect the production and cost of traditional ammunition. Just this month, California Governor Jerry Brown signed into law a bill that will ban lead ammunition for all hunting in California. The Center for Biological Diversity has tried multiple times to get similar regulations at the federal level by trying, and repeatedly failing, to get the EPA to regulate conventional ammunition under the Toxic Substances Control Act.

At this time, it’s unclear if Doe Run or another company will open a new lead smelter in the United States that can meet the more stringent lead air quality standards by using more modern smelting methods. What is clear is that after the Herculaneum smelter closes its doors in December, entirely domestic manufacture of conventional ammunition, from raw ore to finished cartridge, will be impossible.

http://gunssavelives.net/news/last-u-s-lead-smelter-to-close-in-december-due-to-epa-might-affect-ammo-production/
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 03:33:28 PM by gryphon »

Offline Jeff

...RAGE

Offline Jeff

SO!!!

Think this is really going to effect ammo at all?

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
We'll just import the lead from China (oh boy).
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
Stuff from China is unsafe.  It often has lead in it.

Offline Jeff

Stuff from China is unsafe.  It often has lead in it.
...but....uhh...mmmm....it.......I need an aspirin.

But nah, only their dog treats.

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
I did not make a note of the company, but I saw an article a week or two ago from an ammunition manufacturer that said they did not use primary lead, i.e. lead made from ore, but secondary or recycled lead, like from car batteries and other things that use lead.

They get supplies from around the world and were looking to ensure they had an uninterrupted supply.

I read somewhere else that more ammunition manufacturers use secondary lead, and the primary lead is usually made to a higher level purity for applications where that is important.

There was also mention that if the market were in need of lead and the price went up, someone would find it worthwhile to buy and upgrade the existing plant or build a new one.

I checked and you can get lead ingots on Amazaon, if you want to make your own bullets for reloading. You could probably find someplace to buy in bulk, get a ton of lead and you won't have to worry about running out.  :)
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
I have cast bullets in the past.  A friend of mine used to reload and I helped him.  He used a lot of linotype he got free or cheap. 

Offline m.marino

• First Name (Displayed): Michael
While I don't like them forcing the business to close. The amount of lead that comes into this country from other countries has been well above our production for some time. Recycling lead works real well and I remember in the Engineers intentionally tearing down an impact berm and pulling all the metal out ( not fun hot work).

From what I have seen on ammo makers webs sites and statements this should cause no problem unless the government stopped allowing lead recycling and stopped the import of new lead into the country or recycled lead for industrial use. That would sort of hurt them as much as anyone on the ammo issue, even with the stock pile they seem to be building.

-Michael
Tuebor Libertatus

Offline Smashfacekrav

• First Name (Displayed): Smashfacekrav
We could melt down all the toys from china and get the lead from them that way.  Here it is again another mass produced product from the USA that will soon be imported from China.  My thoughts are for the people of that community who will be affected.

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
General George Patton