Author Topic: New ObamaCare Mental Health Regs Tied To Gun Control  (Read 2955 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
New ObamaCare Mental Health Regs Tied To Gun Control
« on: November 12, 2013, 03:08:10 PM »
I thought this was settled law?

New ObamaCare Mental Health Regs Tied To Gun Control

Though President Obama said he was “sorry” that more than 4.2 million Americans have had their health insurance policies cancelled due to his signature health law, that did not stop him from instituting additional regulations and mandates for services in ObamaCare, this time for mental health and substance abuse.

On Friday, the Obama administration announced new rules that place mental health and substance abuse services on par with medical and surgical benefits.

The rules, which will apply to almost all forms of health insurance, will likely have far-reaching consequences, states the New York Times, as they are critical to Obama’s program for preventing gun violence, i.e., his belief that more availability of mental health treatment will reduce gun violence. In issuing the new health insurance regulations, the administration said it will have acted on all 23 executive actions that Obama announced earlier this year to reduce gun crime following the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut last December.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/11/08/New-ObamaCare-Regs-Mandating-Mental-Health-Substance-Abuse-Services-Tied-To-Gun-Control

Offline jfmi87

Re: New ObamaCare Mental Health Regs Tied To Gun Control
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 02:20:33 AM »
There's nothing that can encourage people to get help quite like taking away their rights permanently and putting them in the system so it shows on every background check. It'll eventually be easier to define what DOESN'T make someone mentally ill. Like the color red? You're crazy. Pick your nose? You're crazy. Etc

Offline sircapsalot

• Land of the FREE
  • First Name (Displayed): Dj
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 10:11:50 AM »
...his belief that more availability of mental health treatment will reduce gun violence...

what do you guys think about this?  we all do know that people kill people, so do you guys think that more availability to mental health treatment will reduce gun violence?  I'm finding it tough to reach a conclusion myself.

Offline m.marino

• First Name (Displayed): Michael
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 11:48:46 AM »
Given the international data (Yes, this problem happens in places other than the US and with weapons other than guns sometimes), most of these folks WHERE on SSRI drugs or had recently come off of them. The attempt to say that it is a mental health issue is a direct attempt to abuse the law as it currently stands in many states and with certain federal law (the legality of those laws is another can of worms that I am NOT touching on).

In many states and under parts of the USC, if you are declared a threat to yourself by a court under the advisement of doctor who has done an exam and testing of the person; you can be barred from owning firearms.  The way these laws were written lends them to abuse and this is not the first time they have been abused. Also they can try to have a person evaluated without their consent (it gets much more ugly from there). The fun part is that the research that Obama directed the CDC to do is finished and been published (don't have a link at the moment and this is a quick message). The results basically say that gun owners are in the majority more sane and responsible than non gun owners. The document is a real interesting read. Now Obama is calling for a new study and is giving this study to a far left group that is outside the government to remove political bias.

The law is seriously flawed and the first legal challenge to it was to narrow in the focus of how it is unconstitutional. Anyway, yes it is tied to gun control and yes it is a violation of 2A (My opinion and I will defend it). -Michael
Tuebor Libertatus