Author Topic: Remember back before MI had "Shall Issue"...  (Read 4984 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Remember back before MI had "Shall Issue"...
« on: November 12, 2013, 11:32:45 AM »
We had an AG opinion that out of state carry licenses for MI residents weren't recognized, and that that was not the intent when the Michigan Legislature wrote the law, even though the law doesn't explicitly read that way.  In the past, several people have stated that no one had ever been prosecuted for carrying this way.  I don't know this to be accurate, but am assuming it is as I cannot remember reading of a case otherwise.  Our law has since been amended to clear this up.

Well, Pennsylvania also has a similar law, but the courts ruled against this carrier.  Now this person lost for several reasons, but one of them cited was that the exception for out of state licenses isn't meant to apply to residents, even though the law doesn't explicitly read that way.

http://www.pacourts.us/assets/opinions/Superior/out/J-A07029-13o%20-%201015910541774600.pdf

Offline casper

Re: Remember back before MI had "Shall Issue"...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 03:47:39 PM »
Michigan is not a "shall issue" state. Just ask someone from Ottawa County.

Offline Smashfacekrav

• First Name (Displayed): Smashfacekrav
Remember back before MI had "Shall Issue"...
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 10:34:10 PM »
While I don't agree with the board meetings in Ottawa county it was just as easy to get the permit as it was in Florida. At the board hearing all they did was review the information I put on the application. What is the purpose of that?  Michigan does have more loops to jump. But overall I feel it is fairly easy to get the permit.

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
General George Patton

Offline Kutter616

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 09:20:19 AM »
Michigan is not a "shall issue" state. Just ask someone from Ottawa County.

+1
Gun control zealots believe that persons who would commit violent crimes would never violate a gun law.

NSA, the only branch of government that's listening!

Offline casper

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 07:45:03 PM »
Ottawa county takes it upon themselves to make a decision based on their own bias as apposed to the law, hence breaking the law in doing so.

Offline Cameraman

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 05:08:17 PM »
I remember When Just getting a CCW, was near Impossible, and I needed One for My Job, It was a Lot more Hoops to Jump, Finger Prints, fees, letter from your Employer, Personal References,Credit Report, being signed off at the Local Gun Board, Training Class and Shooting Range Class, Then Wait.....Wait...Wait... Months of Wait,,, then if you were Lucky, you got One,,,Restricted but for your Job,,etc....etc...I never thought I"d see the Day of "Shall Issue" But then I never Dreamed Gov Granholm would Even sign the Bill!!!

Times Have Changed

Semper Fi

Offline casper

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 11:52:07 AM »
They can call it " Shall Issue" all they want. It's not!

Offline detroit_fan

• AmmoDump
  • 2 chairs, no waiting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 01:32:13 PM »
They can call it " Shall Issue" all they want. It's not!
sure it is, they "shall issue" it whenever they feel like it  :P