Author Topic: Out for a drive  (Read 5474 times)

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
Out for a drive
« on: November 14, 2013, 01:45:20 PM »
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 01:51:44 PM by gryphon »

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
Re: Out for a drive
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 02:07:15 PM »
Is the R8 really that fast, or did the bike driver not that good?

Always a good time when cars are able to keep up with litre bikes.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 03:01:14 PM »
The R8 is expensive and fast.  Plus, his is tuned, etc.  Fastest he went was 280 kPH (168 MPH), but usually he was hovering around the 120 MPH mark.  Fastest I've ever gone is 145 MPH and let me tell you, stuff comes up awfully fast even at that speed.  Now this Yamaha R1 going over 300 kPH (180 MPH) was left in the dust by a Mercedes SL63 AMG. 

Offline Jeff

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 03:04:58 PM »
I would say the bikes weren't trying very hard.  Probably afraid to really open up and drive crazy, it's different when you're on a bike, speed is much scarier.   They were going like 150 mph at times.  My old car could have easily hung in there at that speed as long as you have the balls to swerve traffic like that.  I wouldn't have done it...well.  Anymore.

EDIT:  WOW the balls on those guys in the second video  F that lol

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 04:41:48 PM »
I've done 127 in a Cadillac STS (limited if I recall) and 120 in a C5 Vette

Things were fast, but not fast enough to make me feel uncomfortable.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 07:18:20 PM »
Holy cow!  My heart is racing from watching the first video.  Dodging in and out of traffic.  168 is FAST and in pretty heavy traffic is nuts …… I always figure the guy in front is going to change lanes at the worst possible time!

Offline Jeff

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 09:21:20 PM »
I'm not proud of it, but I have done exactly the first video a few times when I was younger.  "playing" with people on the freeway.  It certainly wasn't safe and I would never do it again, but I guess it was fun though.

The day I got pulled over racing a zo6 corvette and some kind of mustang (that was actually quick) was the last day I did anything stupid in a vehicle.

I had an 87 Buick Grand National heavily beefed up but I only put like 10 miles a year on it so I just ended up selling it.  Every time I went anywhere some yaho tried to get me to race them and it got rather old.

Offline m.marino

• First Name (Displayed): Michael
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 06:03:59 AM »
When I was younger I have done a bit of that on both bike and car (more bike then car). Trust me 120 on a bike is fast and on a CB750K it is very very fast. A VFR 800 pre V-tec is much more stable and while it is still very fast it is much more stable.

Won't do it again though. -Michael
Tuebor Libertatus

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 10:51:50 AM »
Its amazing that we all lived to be so old.  I even road around in the back seat without seat belts or a car seat! :o

Offline Jeff

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 01:31:13 PM »
Its amazing that we all lived to be so old.  I even road around in the back seat without seat belts or a car seat! :o

Yeah them young kids don't know how good they have it these days with their music television and playboxes and Iponds.  Back when I was a kid I ice skated to school on unsalted roads and constantly broke my nose hitting dry patches.  Also something about uphill both ways and only 3 flavors of baskin robbins.

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 06:26:16 PM »

I have no idea...

But my daughters never had a chance... I did everything they might think of.  AND, you gotta love cell phone tracking ;)