Author Topic: Any suggestions for a retention holster?  (Read 8859 times)

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
Any suggestions for a retention holster?
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:48:38 PM »

Glock 17 with a Streamlight TLR-1s. Want be able to keep the light on.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Jeff

Re: Any suggestions for a retention holster?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 07:45:04 PM »
Wow, they just charge so much for their holsters.  Hard to justify $150 on a holster.  I'm sure the people that have them love them but sure are pricey.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:00:08 PM »
Wow, they just charge so much for their holsters.  Hard to justify $150 on a holster.  I'm sure the people that have them love them but sure are pricey.

You get what you pay for.  They are duty holsters designed for LEO/Military.  They are the only thing I OC in.  For CC I have a kydex holster from J-Bar but even that cost me $55 with no retention.  Why pay $500+ on something to protect your life then carry it on a $10 walmart belt and $20 uncle mikes holster?

My 6280/5/7 type holsters I have owned all cost me $75 - $90 shipped from opticsplanet and are worth every penny.  Their ALS 6377/8 holsters designed for concealment are <$50 but I don't think u get those for guns w/ lights.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 09:46:11 PM »
You get what you pay for.  They are duty holsters designed for LEO/Military.  They are the only thing I OC in.  For CC I have a kydex holster from J-Bar but even that cost me $55 with no retention.  Why pay $500+ on something to protect your life then carry it on a $10 walmart belt and $20 uncle mikes holster?

My 6280/5/7 type holsters I have owned all cost me $75 - $90 shipped from opticsplanet and are worth every penny.  Their ALS 6377/8 holsters designed for concealment are <$50 but I don't think u get those for guns w/ lights.

I just carry mine in a knitted yarn holster with a piece of scotch tape over the top.  The tape for safety of course, safety first.  So far I just have some custom kydex holsters, I still plan on getting probably a Safariland holster one of these days.  I wish I had taken advantage of opticsplanets 10% off new warehouse code when I had the chance.  Hopefully they will some black friday code then maybe i will get one myself. :)

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 10:11:08 PM »
I just carry mine in a knitted yarn holster with a piece of scotch tape over the top.  The tape for safety of course, safety first. So far I just have some custom kydex holsters, I still plan on getting probably a Safariland holster one of these days.  I wish I had taken advantage of opticsplanets 10% off new warehouse code when I had the chance.  Hopefully they will some black friday code then maybe i will get one myself. :)

LOL.  The new Safariland 7TS holsters look awesome/expensive.  I am just glad they don't seem to make them for my FNH guns yet.   ;D

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 10:57:31 AM »
  I wish I had taken advantage of opticsplanets 10% off new warehouse code when I had the chance.  Hopefully they will some black friday code then maybe i will get one myself. :)

Optics Planet Coupon Code 10TXHGC  10% OFF Select Holsters & Gun Care Products

Coupon expires 11/28/13. Limit one per customer. ONLINE ORDERS ONLY. Not applicable toward tax, shipping or gift card orders. Cannot be combined with other offers or promotions. Additional restrictions and exclusions may apply.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 11:10:49 AM »
Save your money. just carry mexican.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 01:14:43 PM »
Save your money. just carry mexican.
::)

Offline Jeff

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 01:48:36 PM »
Optics Planet Coupon Code 10TXHGC  10% OFF Select Holsters & Gun Care Products

:o ooooooo nice. thanks.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 02:37:42 PM »
Aren't you concerned about shining the light on a friendly? Or worse yet, a loved one? Afterall, wherever you shine that light, you're also aiming a loaded gun. And a GLOCK no less.

"Never point a gun at anything unless you intend to destroy it."
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Jeff

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 05:46:04 PM »
Meh, lights throw a spread beam, you can keep the light on something without aiming anywhere close to it. 

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 08:29:32 PM »
The light does cast a wide beam.  It also produces twilight effects outside of the beam.  Hold the firearm at a 45 degree angle towards the floor and you can see the ceiling easily.  You don't need to point it at someone to see them.  SA also reduces the risk of sweeping a friendly.

I was hoping to find a non-duty holster.  I've been using paddles instead of loops.  The gun belt would add even more cost to the rig.

I'll probably just keep it in the safe for home defense.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Jeff

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 10:05:50 PM »
You don't "NEED" a proper gun belt.  I don't have one and I get by just fine.  Many of the people that I know who carry don't use a proper gun belt.  I am going to get one but it's something you can just do later down the road.

You can also get some custom kydex holsters that will fit your light perfectly, sometimes you need to send the light to them though so they can properly fit for it though.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 11:15:24 PM »
Stumbled on this today... definite possibility

http://www.opticsplanet.com/desantis-tac-lite-holster.html

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 10:34:46 AM »
I have never paid more than $30 for a dedicated gun belt.  This is what I am using currently - http://www.opticsplanet.com/safariland-l830-plainclothes-belt-leather-1-50-l830-xx-2c.html?gclid=CITUm4alhbsCFdE-MgodlTkAzA&ef_id=UpYQjgAAASPnyy95:20131127153314:s

My first belt I got in 2010 that I still carry with occasionally is a Galco Matrix synthetic belt and I really like it but I am on the last hole due to weight loss and they don't make it anymore so I opted for the safariland as a replacement.

Offline Golden Eagle

• MOC Member
  • I VOTED
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 12:23:23 AM »

Sorry I couldn't help myself  :P
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."

George Washington

Offline fsr402

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 07:45:05 AM »
You don't "NEED" a proper gun belt.  I don't have one and I get by just fine.  Many of the people that I know who carry don't use a proper gun belt.  I am going to get one but it's something you can just do later down the road.

You can also get some custom kydex holsters that will fit your light perfectly, sometimes you need to send the light to them though so they can properly fit for it though.

This is true. I have 4 gun belts and I will admit that the gun belt pulled real tight does keep things in place the best but damn it hurts after a few minutes.
Most of the time I actually wear a bungy cord belt. It's made from small bungy cords weaved together. It has no holes so it's adjustable to as tight or lose as you want it. And when I sit it has some give to it so it's not as painful. Works great with an IWB and works well with a low riding OWB but does not work with a high riding OWB.