Author Topic: OC at peters gun range in roseville  (Read 8496 times)

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
OC at peters gun range in roseville
« on: November 26, 2013, 10:42:30 AM »
i typically go to brown bear sporting goods. they support OC and have no issues with customers bringing in holstered pistols. regardless if you are there to shoot or not.

i recently went with a buddy to peters in roseville. there is a sign right on the door "open carry not allowed, CC only" yet every worker at the shop was OC... this sparked me to ask the guys in the shop what that was about.

they informed me. most of them are retired LEO's. they hold the tactical advantage being able to OC. they can draw and defend quicker if they dont have to unconceal their weapons then draw. i can see where this could make sense to some. i however made a valid point... the BG comeing to rob you thats armed isnt going to be concealing, he will have his gun out and ready to shoot on sight as he will know you are OC. pretty much after 20 or mins of going back and forth they said. this is how the owner wants it to be done, we cannot object.

while the range is cheap and i was able to pick up some mags at a great price. i wont be heading there anymore due to the fact they are anti OC.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
Re: OC at peters gun range in roseville
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 11:08:30 AM »
Interesting that they present the same "tactical" reasons that most others in the "OC community" do for OC vs CC.

Nonetheless, Peters is a dump. It was 30 years ago. And judging from how it looks through the windows, it still is. The people running the place back then had the personalities of houseplants (cacti). And, judging from your post, they are still pricks.

That's why I haven't been in that dive in over 30 years. And I have no plans to ever again. Christ himself could take that place over and I still wouldn't darken their door.

Stick with Brown Bear. Just a few miles up the road. And at least they smile while taking your money.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 11:12:40 AM »
yeah brown bear is much closer to me. i live out that way between chesterfield and richmond. so BB is just a few miles down gratiot. its where i got my latest pistol from. i was going to buy from peters but they were absurdly over priced. no way im paying $475 for a $350 handgun... never had any issues at BB. the guy i usually talk to is great and you can actually carry a convo without feeling like you are talking to a total DB

Offline part deux

• MOC Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 01:12:55 PM »
Most ranges that are owned or run by LEO have anti 2A policies... no OC

Offline Jeff

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 01:56:11 PM »

Stick with Brown Bear. Just a few miles up the road. And at least they smile while taking your money.

And when you take their CPL class, tell you that OC will be outlawed soon, and that when you get your CPL you are never allowed to OC again except in your own house.

Offline fsr402

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 01:58:48 PM »
Most ranges that are owned or run by LEO have anti 2A policies... no OC
Not all though. The Silver Bullet has no issues with it.

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 02:08:21 PM »
I bought my first gun from peter's cuz it was so close but abandoned my membership with 6 months left when they put up those stupid signs and told them I would never be back until they were removed.  All of the guns I have bought since then were bought from their local competitors that allow OC.  CQT and BB don't have an issue with OC.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 03:18:07 PM »
I bought my first gun from peter's cuz it was so close but abandoned my membership with 6 months left when they put up those stupid signs and told them I would never be back until they were removed.  All of the guns I have bought since then were bought from their local competitors that allow OC.  CQT and BB don't have an issue with OC.

i like the guys a BB. always a blast to conversate with. have yet to go to CQT but i hear they have a impressive building. a few guys i work with (also gun enthusiasts and IT guys) have been there and praise that establishment

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 09:36:22 PM »
And when you take their CPL class, tell you that OC will be outlawed soon, and that when you get your CPL you are never allowed to OC again except in your own house.

And if this is who I think... he's an arrogant ah-hem that believes he is the be-all end-all source of knowledge for self-defense (armed and unarmed).  If we are talking about the same person, you will need to relearn everything on your own.

1.  You can OC with a CPL
2.  You can carry at Great Lakes crossing
3.  Michigan has limits on civil liability in cases of legal self defense.
4.  You don't need the gun safe he sells to meet storage requirements.
5.  You can open carry at a school with a CPL
6.  You don't have to be a member of a range to transport a pistol to it.  The law says any lawful purpose.
7.  Lowe's does not prohibit firearms.
8.  You don't need to change your wardrobe and always wear baggy clothes. (Printing is not illegal)

I look back and say, "By law, I had to waste 8 hours for a piece of paper."
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Jeff

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 10:00:44 PM »
And if this is who I think... he's an arrogant ah-hem that believes he is the be-all end-all source of knowledge for self-defense (armed and unarmed).  If we are talking about the same person, you will need to relearn everything on your own.

1.  You can OC with a CPL
2.  You can carry at Great Lakes crossing
3.  Michigan has limits on civil liability in cases of legal self defense.
4.  You don't need the gun safe he sells to meet storage requirements.
5.  You can open carry at a school with a CPL
6.  You don't have to be a member of a range to transport a pistol to it.  The law says any lawful purpose.
7.  Lowe's does not prohibit firearms.
8.  You don't need to change your wardrobe and always wear baggy clothes. (Printing is not illegal)

I look back and say, "By law, I had to waste 8 hours for a piece of paper."

Also if you transport a firearm that isn't in a LOCKED case you are a felon.

Brian Turo right? Detroit Arms?  Guy that flat out told us he could physically best an 8'6" 600 pound man?

I took my class, held my tongue came out of the class with the piece of paper I was there for even though I had to listen to all wrong for 8 hours.  It was like looking at the MSP update 86 and teaching opposite day.

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 11:07:25 PM »
9.  It doesn't cost you $10,000 per round fired for a defense attorney. It's $100k for the first round.
10.  Everyone doesn't need to carry a 1911 loaded glaser, glaser, black talon, glaser, glaser, black talon.
11.  SXT is not the same as a Black Talon
12.  I'm not going to shake your hand.
13.  If you spend $250,000 taking training classes all over the country, don't be surprised your wife divorces you.

yes, him.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 07:13:24 AM »
This guy sounds like a winner.

And people wonder why I'm interested in self certifying for the educational requirement to get a CPL...
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 08:35:02 AM »
A concern with getting CPL training from these nutcases is the potential for legal problems including permit revocation by gun boards for noncompliant certification.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:56:38 PM by CV67PAT »
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline fozzy71

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 10:30:35 AM »

They did not say any of this stuff when I took the class from Peters in spring of 2010.  They said it was legal but they would not be discussing it since they were teaching a CC class.

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 01:16:58 PM »
yeah... the only thing ive ever been there for is to shoot. i refuse to buy from them due to the uber inflated pricing. even their ammo is retardedly high

Offline Jeff

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 01:23:49 PM »
They did not say any of this stuff when I took the class from Peters in spring of 2010.  They said it was legal but they would not be discussing it since they were teaching a CC class.

He told us that by law when you get your CPL you are then required by law to only CC.  You may never again OC anywhere except inside your own home, he then went on to say that it didn't matter anyways though because they will be outlawing OP this year.  That they already had all the votes required to do so.  As soon as you get your CPL you lose your right to open carry.

When my friends talk about getting their CPL the only advise I ever give them is not to take it from Detroit Arms because they wont actually learn anything.  The guy MADE me take my shooting portion left handed because I am left eye dominant.  Also said basically that if your caliber doesn't start with a 4 it's not good enough.  He recommended .40 or .45, said that if 9mm is the only option you have then it will have to do.  Used a Platt and Madix video on the 86 Miami shootout to illustrate how .38 and 9mm wasn't good enough.

meh, I gotta get off the topic of this guy before I start banging my head on the wall :p

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 04:00:36 PM »

doesch

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 07:44:04 PM »
linux203 you forgot the 1 thing he gets right:

14. "This is a joke of a class."  ;D

Offline Jeff

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »
linux203 you forgot the 1 thing he gets right:

14. "This is a joke of a class."  ;D

LoL.... yeah.  I remember him telling us that a bunch of times early on.  Then long in the day he just randomly says "what is this class" I said A JOKE!! really loud.  Everyone got silent then he said that's right it is.