Author Topic: How did you find out about Michigan Open Carry Inc.?  (Read 31871 times)

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
How did you find out about Michigan Open Carry Inc.?
« on: November 28, 2013, 12:26:06 AM »
I was just curious tonight, those of you that post this forum, how did you find out about Michigan Open Carry, Inc?

I will start. I work for the State of Michigan. I am also one of our "safety monitors" that is responsible to facilitate getting people out of the building during an emergency. At one of our monitor meetings, the building manger talk about the idea of seeing someone with a firearm walking into the building and how it was perfectly legal. He mentioned this organization which led me to research it on the Internet.

I signed up to the forums, became a local coordinator, and the rest is history.

What is your story?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 10:39:52 AM by TheQ »
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline Smashfacekrav

• First Name (Displayed): Smashfacekrav
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 12:41:41 AM »
I moved to michigan in 2010 from Florida and found out that mi had open carry. Up until this summer I was always a little gun shy about oc'ing. I jumped on the web and with just a couple key strokes I was on MOC signing up to the forums.  I then decided to become a member after getting information and feeling welcomed by everyone.   I have not looked back and OC everywhere and every chance I get.  Thanks for the help MOC.

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
General George Patton

Offline Jeff

Re: How did you find out about Michigan Open Carry Inc.?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 12:54:33 AM »
I found out about it after talking to some friends about which handgun I should buy and that I wanted to get my CPL.  One of my friends said "you can just open carry".  I said "REALLY? no way" he said yeah, it's legal in Michigan.  He doesn't open carry or know any of the specific laws he just knew that it was legal.  Being the way that I am when someone tells me something I do some research on it.  I believe I just typed in "Michigan Open Carry" and found this place while I was searching for open carry laws.

And of course I stayed because of all the hot chicks.

Offline Ezerharden

• Former Secretary
  • MOC Regional Coordinator, Deputy
  • I don't dial 911
  • First Name (Displayed): Mike
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 01:14:07 AM »
I found out about it from the "forum on the dark side". Came here, started going to then hosting events.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

Offline bobn911

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 06:42:26 AM »
If memory serves me right, I heard about MOC on the MGO forum. I went to one of the first or the first get together at Theo and Stacy's. Even went to Bronson Park in Kazoo.
My Saturday work schedule keeps me from attending more events. Carry on, Bob
Life Member: NRA (Benefactor), GOA, SAF, MUCC, Case Collectors Club

Offline kcsmith88

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 10:40:58 AM »
I don't post much on the forum, but I read pretty much everything. I think I found this forum from OCDO.  After CC'ing for some time, I noticed someone at a fast food chain OC'ing and it looked more comfortable than what I was doing. I started asking myself "why am I trying to hide my pistol?  I'm not doing anything wrong."  I started researching and found lots of great information that prompted me to OC.  I now CC or OC depending on the situation and present company.  Although my wife is supportive of my firearm ownership and choice to carry, she is not particularly comfortable when I OC. She seems a bit self conscious and concerned that I'm drawing unnecessary attention.  She has a CPL, but doesn't carry.  My mom and dad both carry, and because of this forum and OCDO, he has switched to OC almost 100% of the time.  He has had a few people make comments, like calling him "sheriff" or asking him if he's afraid of someone.  He has handled it well and is exposing lots of ignorant (uninformed) people to legal OC. I wish I could OC more, but my current employer has a policy against firearms making it difficult to carry regularly.

I take every opportunity in conversations that arise to inform and educate people about OC and CC, and direct them to this site for more information.

Thank you to all who have helped to again normalize this once normal practice.
I supposed I should become a paid member of MOC.  At least MOC doesn't pester me daily for money like the NRA or continuously try to get me to join like USCCA.

- Kurt

Offline Hammurabi

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 10:52:42 AM »
I was talking to a friend in Texas, and expressed my opinion that no one should be prohibited from carrying concealed. His response included some of the history of concealed weapons legislation and the events and attitudes that led to it, as well as his personal opinion that open carry was more honorable. It's been a while, and I won't do his argument justice, but one of the more memorable points was that deliberately disguising yourself as a soft target is a dirty tactic and that potential attackers deserve to know what they're getting into. Then he lamented Texas' prohibition of open carry, but mentioned that he would if he legally could. I had never heard of open carry, but the conversation was memorable enough that I started looking into the legality of open carry in Michigan. Needless to say, MOC was easier to find than Michigan's open carry law. I watched this forum and another for a while and eventually found my way to a Starbucks before signing up at a gathering near Jackson.

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 01:42:56 PM »
I found out about Michigan Open Carry from a message at OCDO.

Offline hubblejj

• First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 03:39:13 PM »
I was just searching around the internet one day about michigan gun laws and stumbled upon the website, I have learned alot of interesting things from you guys thanks.
When the Government fears the people you have Freedom, When the people fear the Government you have Tyranny

Offline FASBOLD

• First Name (Displayed): Larry
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 06:21:45 PM »
I saw a flyer on the door to the Gander Mountain in Portage about one of the seminars there, about this time last year.

I then attended the seminar and joined.

I have learned that OC was OK not long before that and wanted all the facts before I engaged in OC.
"The people of these United States are the rightful masters of both Congresses and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
~ Abraham Lincoln
"Too young to die, too old to take an ass whippin'."
~ Unknown

Offline linux203

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Daniel
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 09:36:37 PM »
Internet research prior to purchasing a handgun.  Not exactly sure how I stumbled across MOC.  I definitely didn't google "Open Carry" or anything like that.
When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."  Luke 22:36

Offline Mando21

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 09:56:28 PM »
I was doing a research project on modern American militias and when I went to the Michigan Militia website I saw a link to the MOC website, I clicked...
The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, anytime, and with utter recklessness.

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline SD40VE

• SE Region Posse
  • New Haven, Macomb County
  • First Name (Displayed): Bradley
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 11:37:22 PM »
I found moc on ocdo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TucTom

• MOC Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Tom
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 12:43:26 PM »
While living in Az. I read alot on OCDO. When I knew I was moving to Mi. I searched state laws and read the Mi. sub-form. Probably found thru OCDO although I may have found it doing a web search. BTW the forums here helped me immensely to prepare me for my move and since.

Offline drtodd

• MOC Member
  • MOC Charter Member
Re: Re: How did you find out about Michigan Open Carry Inc.?
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 04:02:18 PM »
I handgun hunted from about 1997 to present. I open carried during those outings, both in the field and while traveling to and from. I also got a CPL when Michigan became "shall issue". I then enjoyed the comfort of OC vs CC so I would OC about 50% of the time while going about my daily business. While doing legal research I read about a small group of malcontents who open carried at a McDonalds on the OCDO website about a week after they did so. I joined OCDO a bit later and participated quite often on the forum. We had a few meet ups in Grand Rapids of a pretty hardcore group of people that were great to talk with about guns and open carry. At some point in the discussion a few years later we talked about forming a state-level group that would promote open carry. Brian Jeffs spearheaded the formation of the state level group, and many of the people from OCDO that were active on the boards then joined . The rest is history.
"The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime." Miller v. U.S. 230 F 486 at 489

"Where rights as secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no rule making or legislation which will abrogate them." Miranda v. Ariz., 384 U.S. 436 at 491 (1966).

Offline Pond Scum

• MOC Lifetime Member
  • First Name (Displayed): Glenn
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 04:24:36 PM »
I joined because Bronson told me to join and I do everything that Bronson tells me to do!   :o

Plus there is lots of good information here and if I remember what I read it will keep me out of trouble!  And the work that MOC does with legislation and public awareness is a benefit to us all!

…...  I now CC or OC depending on the situation and present company.  Although my wife is supportive of my firearm ownership and choice to carry, she is not particularly comfortable when I OC. She seems a bit self conscious and concerned that I'm drawing unnecessary attention.  She has a CPL, but doesn't carry…..

- Kurt

Our situation is pretty close…… My wife has a CPL but doesn't carry.  I OC part of the time but CC most of the time.  Strangely my wife prefers it when I open carry! :o     

I wish she would carry ….. I tell her that if she has her gun she is a tactical advantage for our team.  If she doesn't have a gun she is just "cover" and I'm going to jump behind her to protect our "offense!"   :P

Offline jgillmanjr

• MOC Member
    • Freedom Forged Security Consulting
  • First Name (Displayed): Jason
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 04:59:28 PM »
Had a chance to meet Phil at the rally back in March. Next day, went to an open carry seminar. That night, I signed up.
IT Director
Deputy Treasurer
Legislative Aide

Offline AAMitch

• MOC Member
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 08:47:54 PM »
My first time, that I found out about MOC, was the MOC picnic at an Ann Arbor park.  The Sunday Ann Arbor News paper had a large article and I cheered.  In the town that I attribute preemption, cause they wanted to ban everything with a powder charge.    Years later I met my friend Frank, went to a couple seminars.   Now I have carried 99% of the time for the last 3 years.

Offline RedWings

• AmmoDump
  • First Name (Displayed): Bill
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 01:09:49 PM »
I first heard about MOC from my CPL instructor last spring.  Then, last summer/fall I heard about the open carry picnic at Riverside Park in Grand Rapids (but unfortunately I was visiting the inlaws in NY that weekend).  Finally, I learned about the OC seminar this past weekend in GR.  I contacted my brother and we both attended the seminar and then we both immediately joined.

Now, I just have to take the first leap of faith and strap one on in public.

Oh yeah, I've gotta acquire an OC holster, first.

Offline Zeteo

• First Name (Displayed): Al
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 04:06:36 PM »
When I was applying for my CPL, I was actively reading the MI Gun Owners site.  Saw a link to this site there, and honestly, I don't think I've been back to migunowners.org since.
No law ever prevented a crime.