Author Topic: How did you find out about Michigan Open Carry Inc.?  (Read 31756 times)

Offline Glock9mmOldStyle

• MOC Member
Re: How did you find out about Michigan Open Carry Inc.?
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 06:34:27 PM »
I was invited to a picnic in Westland Mi, back in April of 2010. Met Venator, Michigander, Dougwg and some other regular OCers, and that was my intro to MOC. I still remember the chili and the temps in the mid 40°s . It was a good time for all. :)
Pretty big turn out too.
"It is now more likely that a person will be the victim of a violent crime than that he will be in an auto accident. Despite this, most people readily believe that the existence of the police relieves them of the responsibility to take full measures to protect themselves."
 -Jeffrey Snyder 1993

Offline 91 whiskey

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 06:18:35 PM »
I found out about this group by reading about Tom's dealings with the Grand Rapids city commission.
Elephants and Asses
Screwing The Masses.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 08:18:38 PM »
I was invited to a picnic in Westland Mi, back in April of 2010. Met Venator, Michigander, Dougwg and some other regular OCers, and that was my intro to MOC. I still remember the chili and the temps in the mid 40°s . It was a good time for all. :)
Pretty big turn out too.

Venator, Michigander, and DougWG... that's a big turn out right there.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 12:11:09 PM by CV67PAT »
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Tmmorton

• First Name (Displayed): Tim Morton
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 12:26:35 AM »
I'm not a regular poster (though someday I hope I will have enough experience to speak with knowledge) but I heard about this from the very knowledgeable manager at my local Dunhams store (firearm section). 

Tim Morton

Offline gryphon

• Administrator
  • First Name (Displayed): Dan
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 08:32:20 AM »
I heard about this from the very knowledgeable manager at my local Dunhams store (firearm section). 

That's encouraging!

Offline TheQ

• Website Content Manager
  • MOC Lifetime Member
    • Michigan Open Carry, Inc.
  • First Name (Displayed): Phillip
How did you find out about Michigan Open Carry Inc.?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 09:31:04 AM »

I'm not a regular poster (though someday I hope I will have enough experience to speak with knowledge) but I heard about this from the very knowledgeable manager at my local Dunhams store (firearm section). 

Tim Morton

Sweet sauce!
I Am Not A Lawyer (nor a gunsmith).

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 10:18:09 AM »

Tim Morton
Speaking with experience, as you have done here, is just as important as speaking with knowledge.
Want to keep informed of events in your area? Go to http://www.miopencarry.org/update

Offline Michigander

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 12:32:40 AM »
I was here from the very beginning at the event drtodd mentioned, in fact I seem to recall that I started the thread for the very first meet up in Brighton in december of 2007, and it was Brian that set the date and time. Mastiff and his wife also came. Brian spoke there of creating this organization and structuring it very much like it has turned out.

From then on, other than while I lived out of the state for 6 months in 2008, a core group of us who essentially founded MOC organized and worked on a lot of stuff. Although we did many things on our own and it worked fine, it became rather apparent that a formal organizational structure was helpful for being taken more seriously by the police and public, a very important consideration when it seemed like we were being bombarded by endless police harassment and a fair amount of malicious prosecution, and thus MOC pretty much had to happen. The primary end of my participation with MOC was the end of the time Jeff Sayers was running the ship, at which time I attended many more MOC events and did several solo projects before leaving the state again, that time for almost a year and a half. Since then, there is as phil put it, history. Some of it ugly. I am hoping there is a brighter future ahead with me and MOC than the past several years, though that remains to be seen.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:50:31 AM by Michigander »

Offline Raggs

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 08:58:49 AM »
Thanks to Michigander, DrTodd, Mastiff and of course Venator for doing so much of the heavy lifting starting this group. Many of us are enjoying the fruits of your labor.

I learned about MOC from OCDO and mainly DrTodd who was the first person who was willing to go out of his way to show me the ropes and actually meet up with me to open carry. He and I along with my daughter went to Walmart, I know its cliche, and then shakes at Steak and Shake. DrTodd ended up in a friendly discussion with the manager which kinda showed me a good way to deal with that situation.

Offline CV67PAT

• MOC Charter Member
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2014, 04:49:35 PM »
Thanks to Michigander, DrTodd, Mastiff and of course Venator for doing so much of the heavy lifting starting this group. Many of us are enjoying the fruits of your labor.

I learned about MOC from OCDO and mainly DrTodd who was the first person who was willing to go out of his way to show me the ropes and actually meet up with me to open carry. He and I along with my daughter went to Walmart, I know its cliche, and then shakes at Steak and Shake. DrTodd ended up in a friendly discussion with the manager which kinda showed me a good way to deal with that situation.

Don't sell yourself short there. You do quite a bit of heavy lifting yourself.

Offline TexasSupporter

• First Name (Displayed): James
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 08:25:32 PM »
One and a half years ago I was coming to terms with the fact that my state of Texas severely infringes my right to possess and carry a firearm, including denying me the right to openly carry.  I researched and found out fast that 44 states - including my home state of Michigan - allow some type of open carry.  During this research I found Michigan Open Carry, and was truly proud to see that Michigan has lead the way in the open carry movement, in no small part because of the work of MOC.  In March of 2013 I joined as a member.  Today, I paid my dues for another year.  MOC is doing the work that I believe strongly in.  I appreciate everyone here.  My only regret is that I have yet to be able to attend an OC event with MOC... but I will try this summer for sure.  Beretta 92FS - Made in Italy.  That's what I'll be proudly carrying when I do make it to my first MOC event.  God bless you all. 

Offline ProXaQ

How did you find out about Michigan Open Carry Inc.?
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 09:46:24 PM »
I found it on handgunlaws.us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GrandpaC53

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2014, 03:06:07 PM »
I bought the book "My Parents Open Carry" for my daughter and granddaughter and read it first

Offline thamm

• Legal Musings
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2014, 04:13:36 PM »
I first learned of MOC from a news article about the open carry march in Romulus earlier this year.

Offline CitizensHaveRights

• First Name (Displayed): Mitch
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2014, 07:57:55 PM »
I read about MOC in the State Journal.
I'm not sure when I first saw it, but I already knew about MOC when news of the CADL suit first hit the papers.
"A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed "  - Who has a right to keep and eat food, The People or A Well Balanced Breakfast?

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2014, 08:43:53 PM »

I bought the book "My Parents Open Carry" for my daughter and granddaughter and read it first

It isn't our book, but I am personally a fan.

Offline brownchris2015

• Semper Fidelis
  • First Name (Displayed): Chris
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2015, 11:08:25 AM »
I contacted a lawyer with firearm specialization

Offline TheQ

• MOC Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2015, 08:22:46 PM »

I contacted a lawyer with firearm specialization

Oh? Which?

Offline LadyBeth

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2015, 05:17:33 PM »
I learned about MOC from two close friends and during my CPL class

Offline TWiggle

• MOC Member
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2016, 05:57:28 PM »
Through a friend of mine when he invited me to a MOC lunch. I'm now very active in MOC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk